Hello All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brownorch

Original poster
May 23, 2022

Hi. I'm new to smoking and having some trouble keeping my temps.

I'm trying a 3-2-1, applying mop every hour for the first 3 hours.

After wrapping my ribs with foil, I'm having trouble keeping my temp at 225. 3 vents are wide open, but temp stays at about 200.

I'm using a UDS with lump charcoal, and there's still a lot left to burn in the basket.
Is there a way I should be stacking the fuel? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A smoker loses a lot of heat each time it is opened. Every hour for mopping, then also for the 2 1 wrap and un wrap. I cannot think of any other reason for it to have temp problems.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Hi. I'm new to smoking and having some trouble keeping my temps.

I'm trying a 3-2-1, applying mop every hour for the first 3 hours.

After wrapping my ribs with foil, I'm having trouble keeping my temp at 225. 3 vents are wide open, but temp stays at about 200.

I'm using a UDS with lump charcoal, and there's still a lot left to burn in the basket.
Is there a way I should be stacking the fuel? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard and...
rEVgkHr.jpg
Welcome from Colorado.
thirdeye thirdeye has smoked a bunch on drums, maybe he will stop by.
Thanks for the mention.

brownorch brownorch UDS, BDS, Gateway, Hunsaker and, Big Poppa Drums are awesome cookers. They are close to replicating the 'open pit' flavor of barbecue, and in the last 5 or 6 years are cookers of choice for hot and fast (or turn and burn, sizzle...) cooking.

All that said, let us in on your design. And also set-up. You might need something simple like a basket mod, or more intake.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky