Heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kmino

Original poster
Dec 23, 2019
I’m trying to decide on using a propane burner or electric element to heat a UDS. Who here is using either one? I wanted to use one of these two heating methods as it seems to me it would be easier then Messing with charcoal or wood. Any input for this newbie would be appreciated. Thanks

Check out this thread, it's on the exact same subject. :emoji_dizzy_face:

If you use either of those methods then you have to add an extra element to the design to get your "smoke" flavor. Otherwise, just use your oven it would be the same difference.

I promise, a well built coal/wood setup on a UDS is no more trouble adjusting/keeping temps then would be a electric or propane. Especially a propane I would think as there would be oxygen issues with a propane setup I would imagine. Plus the taste will prove the worth of wood/coal.

If you want to build an electric or propane smoker,thats great, but maybe the drum isn't the ideal medium?

^^^ those are just my opinions. They are worth nothing more than that as far as advice goes.

Reactions: motocrash

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky