Heat swings in my Pit Boss series 3 vertical Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

outdoorchef

Original poster
May 9, 2021
I am noticing heat swings between 25°-35° in my electric smoker as it will shut off and on. Not, from opening and closing door. I would like a more constant temp if possible. I have heard of heat deflectors but not for this model. I was wondering if I kept a pizza stone in while smoking, will it help? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Those temp swings are normal.
Have you tried using water in the water pan to try to moderate the temp swings?
A better option than using a pizza stone is to place firebrick wrapped in foil in the empty water pan or fill the water pan with clean sand and then cover with foil.

Those temp swings are normal.
Have you tried using water in the water pan to try to moderate the temp swings?
A better option than using a pizza stone is to place firebrick wrapped in foil in the empty water pan or fill the water pan with clean sand and then cover with foil.

Thank you, yes I always keep the water pan full of water. I thought I was supposed to with this model.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thank you, yes I always keep the water pan full of water. I thought I was supposed to with this model.

Yes and no. The reason being that most electric smokers, while not air tight, do not have the volume of air flow when compared to charcoal or stick burner smokers. Thus, electric smokers retain higher humidity levels.
The manufacturer of my smoker says to use the water pan as well. However, I only use the water pan when the oustide humidity level and dew point are extremely low or during a long
(overnight) smoke.

You could try firebrick or regular bricks wrapped in foil, or foil covered sand in the water pan to act as heat sinks. As the bricks or sand absorb and store the energy (heat) generated by the smoker's heating element, the on and off cycling of the element will be reduced.

As for using a pizza stone, it would act more as a heat deflector instead of a heat sink.

Another thing about temps swings is to not go by the smoker's built in temp probe readings. Use a separate digital thermometer probe set up to monitor chamber temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj

Yes.. your vertical smoker came with a water pan and it's designed to run with it.

You have a smaller version of my Pit Boss Copperhead 5 and I can tell you it runs over 100F hotter without the water pan ( only tested that for an experiment not a real food run).

As mentioned- get a digital temp probe you can put on the rack inside or a $5 oven thermometer and set it right on the rack.

I run the oven thermometer in mine and it clearly shows the temps holding steady even while the smoker cycles up and down.

I've got a few hundred smokes done on mine already and I will always run the water pan full of water and always have the oven thermometer in there.

Good luck!

As long as you have an off/on controller then coasting is inevitable but you can use methods to even heat left/right. You need a PID controller to come in for a landing at your set temp so it holds within a couple degrees of your set temp which a lot of us have done. Vertical insulated smokers are more efficient and don't burn lots of fuel needing more air to get heat you want at food level so they are a much more humid environment vs uninsulated horizontal stick burners. I never put water in the pan in an insulated smoker. I cook in a kamado or Mes ribs, brisket, butts and poultry at 275° no wrap, naked the whole time till IT done.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
A 5 hour smoke will always be a 5 hour smoke. Your HVAC unit essentially does the same. Shuts off somewhere over your set temp and comes back on somewhere below your set temp. You can order an Auber PID and tighten up the swings to a degree or two. Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky