Heat resistant paint

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

madd fox

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Indy
I will try to put some pics on the forum, but I'm not sure where they should go. You see, we have mounted two 250 gal. tanks on a trailer so that they will be back to back. The build is not smokers, they will be charcoal grills, built for our church. There has been a lot of help here especially from Joel. Where we are right now is getting close to painting. I know the high temp paint Thurmalox is one that a lot of guys use, but is really expensive to purchase. Are there any others that are as good that are not as expensive? Which is better, spray cans, or brush on paint. Can someone give me an idea how much paint is needed for one 250 tank? Thanks

Thanks Pops, I appreciate that. 
thumb1.gif
  Mike

At Lowes, I bought Rustoleum BBQ paint in a one quart can and use a HVLP gun to shoot my last Pit. Its 2 years old, been used and abused and has held up very well, even on the firebox.  At about $9.00 for that quart can, I dont think youll beat it. I think they have black, red, and white, If you dont have a paint gun and compressor, you can buy a prevail sprayer that comes with glass cup and airesol that you can pour this in and shoot it with. They are usually less that $5.00 a piece.

At Lowes, I bought Rustoleum BBQ paint in a one quart can and use a HVLP gun to shoot my last Pit. Its 2 years old, been used and abused and has held up very well, even on the firebox.  At about $9.00 for that quart can, I dont think youll beat it. I think they have black, red, and white, If you dont have a paint gun and compressor, you can buy a prevail sprayer that comes with glass cup and airesol that you can pour this in and shoot it with. They are usually less that $5.00 a piece.
Do they sell that in an aerosol can?  I've got some spots on my SFB that has the factory paint peeled off.  I've been spraying it with some Pam or other oil when it's at temp to protect it, but I'd like a more permanent solution.

Last edited:
I just picked up two 15 oz cans for 4.78 each. They were actually 7.98 but they were in the wrong area so they gave them to me at a reduced cost. Im in the process of sanding mine and painting.

Yes, they have both at lowes. Just the quart can is a lot better deal.  And I want to say something, Ive used a lot of different brands of high temp paint. Used products that cost 3 times as much as the rustoleum. Im sold on it!  Heat the unit up a little to get the moisture out of the metal and heat it up between coats and it does a great job.

If I were to buy the paint in quart cans, does it apply well with a paint roller or does is go on too thick.

By the way, thanks for all the advice.

Mike  

Last edited:
You want to spray it on in thin layers. This type of paint is air dry and has no curing agent. If you put it on too thick, the top layer will dry and the layers underneath will still be holding in the solvents. When you heat up the smoker, you might end up with bubbles in the paint or paint peeling off.

Thats why I always recomend heating up the smoker or grill before, and inbetween coats of paint.  I've painted alot of big pits over the years and learned this through trial and error. Take the extra time to do it right up front and it will be worth the effort.

I have used the Rustoleum as well, with good results (using a auto sprayer gun).  I only put 1 coat when I originally painted, so after 4 months it looked like it was years old and not months. so I repainted mine with 2 coats last Saturday, then on Sunday I heated it up to about 200 with a small fire and wiped the entire pit and firebox down with Canola oil.  Got a comp this weekend, so I'll have her nice and hot for a long time and see how the oil wipe down works for me.  Prior to painting the firebox, I used Ospho to remove and neutralize any rust.

You want to spray it on in thin layers. This type of paint is air dry and has no curing agent. If you put it on too thick, the top layer will dry and the layers underneath will still be holding in the solvents. When you heat up the smoker, you might end up with bubbles in the paint or paint peeling off.

Thats why I always recomend heating up the smoker or grill before, and inbetween coats of paint.  I've painted alot of big pits over the years and learned this through trial and error. Take the extra time to do it right up front and it will be worth the effort.
thanks for the input, I did exactly as you said and it came out great! It looks brand new

As it turns out, one of the guys has a compressor and spray gun, he has painted sprint cars in the past so I think we are in good shape. I will pass on what you have said about warming up the grill between coats, can't argue with success. Thanks guys for all the help.

Mad Fox, welcome and may I add a suggestion?

After painting and time to season the Pit, spray a cheap non-stick product all over the outside also , this gives a good protection to the paint. High temp paint can and does blister from time to time , this proceedure keeps it form doing that and will not cause the bugs to gather either.

I do this to my smokers everytime I light -up.

you can just see the little color change on the FB. A bit off color, but I call it Patina
biggrin.gif

Good luck on the build , good looking so-far. I'll be watching the finished Smoker...
popcorn.gif

Have fun and a Happy Holiday Season, and...

Yes, I have a misto and I used a coat of vegetable oil on the outside.  If you have it laying around mineral oil or Walnut oil is good because it doesn't gunk up or go rancid.

I know he already has a solution - but I just wanted to say I painted my chargriller Blue using Brake rotor paint .  The paint is good to temps of 900 F.  They have engine paint that is good to 1200F also.

I plan on using that paint on what ever smoker I build.
Holy crap! that is awesome!  
points.gif
 Where did you get blue high temp paint? I am currently building my first smoker and wanted to paint it blue.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky