Heat but no smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hellbent357

Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
Got a Oklahoma Joe Highland couple of weeks ago and still trying to figure it out. I'm using Royal Oak lump and the minion method. I'm getting a nice steady temp but no smoke. I don't mean tbs, I mean no smoke. This is just a test run so no meat in the cook box.

The question is, will I still get smoke flavor like this or do I have to add wood chunks as well. I was trying to avoid the flare ups of that the chunks seem to produce.

Any thoughts are welcome. TIA.

On my Oak. Joe all that it took was a few plum size pieces of wood added every hour for the first 2 to 4 hours.
The heat spike off the small chunks won't hurt a thing. I bury the wood chunks in coals, so they smolder rather than ignite.

Reactions: JC in GB
Definitely need to add some wood chunks in there, like Forktender said.
Harry Soo did a great video on why it's best to bury the wood chunks, rather than tossing them in on top. It's a little scientific, so look it up if you like that kind of stuff. Otherwise, just do as he says. :)

I think everyone has an issue in the beginning with whatever equipment you choose. I happen to have the same smoker as you. After experimenting with several methods I have found that a minion type method works best for me.
What I do is to put a chimney full of unlit charcoal in the firebox. I spread this out over the charcoal grate in the firebox. I leave a fist size empty space on the far right next to the vent door and this is where I put my lit coals. I place wood chunks in about five areas throughout the unlit coals. I light about 15 coals in my chimney and the dump them into that empty pocket. I place a wood chunk on top of those hot coals once the pit comes up to temp.
I always keep my smokestack vent wide open and use the door vent to regulate the temp. One thing to keep in mind is that the vent doesn’t change the temp very quickly so try to avoid too much tinkering. I know that it’s very tempting when you first start smoking to tinker. Patience is your best friend when you are smoking. Avoid opening the cook chamber or firebox unless absolutely necessary. In no time you will be a pitmaster.

G

I think everyone has an issue in the beginning with whatever equipment you choose. I happen to have the same smoker as you. After experimenting with several methods I have found that a minion type method works best for me.
What I do is to put a chimney full of unlit charcoal in the firebox. I spread this out over the charcoal grate in the firebox. I leave a fist size empty space on the far right next to the vent door and this is where I put my lit coals. I place wood chunks in about five areas throughout the unlit coals. I light about 15 coals in my chimney and the dump them into that empty pocket. I place a wood chunk on top of those hot coals once the pit comes up to temp.
I always keep my smokestack vent wide open and use the door vent to regulate the temp. One thing to keep in mind is that the vent doesn’t change the temp very quickly so try to avoid too much tinkering. I know that it’s very tempting when you first start smoking to tinker. Patience is your best friend when you are smoking. Avoid opening the cook chamber or firebox unless absolutely necessary. In no time you will be a pitmaster.

G

Thanks for the help everyone, it seems that I'm on the right track and just need to keep working on this method.

I think Jim Minion's 'method' applies to briquettes, but lump should perform in a similar fashion. You don't really want to see smoke from your vent/stack because you want the real flavor not a coating or heavier deposit of smokey residue. That said, thin "sweet blue" smoke from the stack is better than billowing white smoke.

So, lump has a mild flavor on it's own, and adding some good quality flavor wood adds to that. If you burn briquettes, you might need a bit more flavor wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky