Heat baffle/drip tray how to?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dholt365

Original poster
Mar 21, 2017
I have attached a photo of my setup, i control the burners with a PID, up to this point I had been using the cast iron skillet with wood chip method for smoke. I just purchased a masterbuilt cold smoker attachment that I plan to mount on the right side lower to create and maintain more controlled temps (even though I was in the =/- 7-10 degree mark before). My question is: does anyone have any ideas on a heat baffle/drip tray?? I want to completely keep the drippings off my burners. I ruined my first set of burners because of drippings while cooking about 80 pounds of summer sausage. I only wish my smoker was still this clean.
Smoker.jpg

This is how I did mine and it works great. Just be sure to leave enough area around the tray so the heat rolls around it.

Attachments

• 20180902_133443.jpg
    20180902_133443.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 93
I installed an element in my wood smoker hut i have it up off the bottom so that i can redirect the drippings around the element and it drains out the bottom.
20190115_165511.jpg

This is how I did mine and it works great. Just be sure to leave enough area around the tray so the heat rolls around it.

This is the exact build I was thinking, do you feel like there are any hot spots coming up along the sides of that tray? also does it drain to the exterior or no?

You can also use a aluminum foil pan to catch the drips in DIYerDave idea and you won't have a mess burned on the shelf.

Warren

As long as you have your cabinet temp probe up high and not in the direct path of the rolling heat, you should be fine. It is not drained anywhere. Actually it acts more of a heat sink absorbing direct heat and radiating it off gently. It's 1/8th inch thick.
This is the exact build I was thinking, do you feel like there are any hot spots coming up along the sides of that tray? also does it drain to the exterior or no?

After thinking about it some more, you might be better off building a shelf out of expanded metal and use a foil tray like mentioned above. That way more heat can come "through" instead of rolling "around". You just have to play with it til you get something that works.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky