'Healthy Deer Meat Jumbalaya

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cappyr

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
South Louisiana
Peg and I, in an effort to eat healthy decided to tweek one of our favorite recipes and make it diet friendly and still delicious.

We took some very lean deer stew meat out the freezer seasoned it with cajun seasoning, worchester sauce, and hot sauce and started it on medium heat.  NO oil at all just our well seasoned ole pot.  ya hafta be careful when browning this way and deglaze with a lil water as soon as ya see any sign of stickage.

We added a couple of diced yellow onions and let it simmer and kept deglazing and adding a lil water till it made a nice rich gravy.

With a nice gravy  built: 

We added a can of Rotel tomatoes and a small can of mushrooms added water and let it simmer for 2 hours teh acid from the tomatoes made the deer meat nice and tender.

After 2 hours and several beers

We added 2 cups of long grain brown rice brought it back to a boil for 5 minutes or so, then reduced it to a simmer and kinda forgot about it for an hour.

Any ways with a few veggies and an Opelousas Yam it was a glorious Cajun feast.  If thats diet food sign me up
drool.gif

Sounds good, but with a Louisiana sweet tater, How could you tell if it wasn't. The rest of the world just doesn't understand the love of our sweet taters!

Nice idea with the jambalaya, but doesn't it take forever to cook that brown rice? You have a secret?

Singing a little Opelousas Sosthene........?? Jolie Blon ??

Last edited:
Long grain brown rice like in the pic.  Let it boil for like 7 minutes then let it slow simmer for an hour.  Takes like 2 and a half cups of water to one cup rice.  ya eye ball it like any jumbalaya.  Opelousas yams are at their peak and those that dont know them dont know hwat they missin.  The small sweet ones never leave teh parish.  I got connections.

Next time ya in Lafayete go to Randals its the most well known.

http://www.randols.com/index.htm

There are still a few of those kinda joints left.  At Randals ya can kick back with a cold beer and a plate of crawfish and watch young girls learning to 2 step standing on papa's shoes.

And again my phone didn't ring!

Been throwing elk meat in place of pork for a number of years in our jambalaya but still have to use that good ol' hot Cajun sausage.  Looks great and love them sweet taters, too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky