Hawaiian style Portuguese sausage. Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lu1847

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
winona mn
Well here's my first run at Portuguese sausage.
I just did a small test batch. 2 1/4# ground shoulder and 3/4# minced shoulder for texture.
Here it is all mixed up. I used pineapple juice, soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, paprika, brown sugar, salt, anise and #1cure
This was the first time I had ever used natural casings. Honestly at first after soaking and rinsing I thought oh man this is gonna be tuff. However after I did a few I think I like working with these better than collagen. They were a lot stronger than I thought they would be. I did have one blow out though, no big deal.
Here's what I got out of the 3#
And a close up.
And a test fry. It had pretty good flavor. After a day in the fridge they should be great. I'll post pics when I'm done smoking this afternoon.

Oh and I also made 5 pounds of venison and pork bologna.

Looking good so far 
thumb1.gif
   Will check back for sure 
popcorn.gif

Sound1 I'm not sure what it will do to the texture. Just got the recipe and am trying it for the first time. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Doing a little air dry for a while before going into the smoker.

Here we are after 3 hrs of pit masters pellets. I only ran my heat at about 130.

Here we are out of the smoker and before a 168-175 poach on the stove to a temp of 150. Some actually went as high as 160 depending on the thickness.

Here is I few pieces sliced up after the poach and a short rest.

I gotta say the texture was pretty darn good for my first whack at this. However the next time I make this I think I will just use all minced pork shoulder for the real Portuguese sausage texture. The taste was good however not the stuff I grew up on back in Hawaii.

Reactions: 808907smoker
Here is I few pieces sliced up after the poach and a short rest.

I gotta say the texture was pretty darn good for my first whack at this. However the next time I make this I think I will just use all minced pork shoulder for the real Portuguese sausage texture. The taste was good however not the stuff I grew up on back in Hawaii.
That looks tasty! 
icon14.gif

Thanks b. it was. Not perfect but for my first run I'm not gonna complain. The venison bologna turned out real good but I made that from a packaged mix and just jazzed it up a little.

Last edited:
I just returned from Hawaii.  Portuguese sausage was incredible there. Any updated tweaks to the recipe? I'm already looking regionally for Portuguese sausage in upstate NY.  no luck, will have to make it myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky