Have a Heart? : Just a quick sausage story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
I am planning a 25 lb Summer Sausage project, starting this weekend. Using Rytek's Cervelat recipie: calls for 5 lb of beef hearts.

I didn't think this would be a problem, as I just bought a whole cow (split it with a friend) and figured I had to have one SOMEWHERE, right?  No luck. So I call the local Meat Processor (Beutler Meats, Lafayette, IN.. they are amazing) and the Beutler Lady says not only do they NOT have any hearts, they have three guys on a waiting list!

So I call the wonderful lady I bought my cow from and asked her. I figure, not everyone needs the organs, she'd know who she sold the cows to...Maybe I'd get lucky? I only need a couple to equal out to five pounds.

She makes some calls... no luck! Everyone she sold a cow to recently either threw the hearts away or gave them back to Beutler Meats. 

So here I am, with this giant tub of Fermento, 20 pounds of beef trim and pork butt, all these casings, feeling pretty dejected. I even JUST bought a new grinder and have been dying to try it out on a big project. I have to really plan my meat projects around my work schedule, and between the grinding, curing, hanging and smoking, if I don't get started this weekend, I won't get to this project until Mid-October.

I *just* got the call from the Cow Lady: She sold three cows for slaughter last night, none of the buyers want the hearts. She's having the hearts packed separately just for me, I can pick them up right at Beutler's tomorrow afternoon!

I'm being charged $.49/ lb for them. You can't beat that!

-Princess

If the recipie works out for you, you may want to order some more and freeze them. You wouldn't think they would be that hard to get.

icon_cool.gif

Well atleast you got your hearts. I have never made any sausage with hearts but I'm not real sure where to get some myself. It sounds like it was alot of work so I sure hope that the sausage is really that good. So if you will let us know ho9w it all comes out.

I told her to make me #4 on the list!! :)  Great suggestion. I can make room for a few, though they are kinda funny shaped. Like mini-footballs when all wrapped up.

If the recipie works out for you, you may want to order some more and freeze them. You wouldn't think they would be that hard to get.

Princess,

Do you know any deer hunters?

So many hunters now-days leave the heart with the gut-pile. Deer hearts are every bit as good as beef hearts. Our deer hearts were always eaten within a day or two of the kill, sliced thin & sauteed in butter---MMMMmmmmm.

My Dad used to go for head & neck shots, because "He didn't want to wreck his favorite part---The heart".

Maybe you can get some hunters to save them for you, instead of leaving them lay ??

Bear

Oooh!!! That never occured to me, thanks Bearcarver!!

I *do* know quite a few hunters, and I never would have thoguht of that!  What an awesome idea!  Wonder when whitetail season for Indiana fires up...

-Princess

Princess,

Do you know any deer hunters?

So many hunters now-days leave the heart with the gut-pile. Deer hearts are every bit as good as beef hearts. Our deer hearts were always eaten within a day or two of the kill, sliced thin & sauteed in butter---MMMMmmmmm.

My Dad used to go for head & neck shots, because "He didn't want to wreck his favorite part---The heart".

Maybe you can get some hunters to save them for you, instead of leaving them lay ??

Bear

Oooh!!! That never occured to me, thanks Bearcarver!!

I *do* know quite a few hunters, and I never would have thoguht of that!  What an awesome idea!  Wonder when whitetail season for Indiana fires up...

-Princess

Won't be long

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations for 2010/2011:
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2010_Hunting_Regulations.pdf                                    
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Bear

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Hey cool!! :D Thanks Bearcarver!

Did you see the part on there where is talks about FHFH?

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/6205.htm

Apparently, you can donate venison to feed the hungry (very cool, good to know... but we use all of ours to feed our hungry selves!) and I'd like to know what THEY do with donated hearts. The one in Boone County isn't too terribly far from The Castle.

Do you think they'd think I'm crazy? Can you imagine the story later?

"So this short blonde walks into the shop this mornin'. Never seen her before and she says she don't hunt, but that she needs... get this... a bunch of HEARTS. Says she'll even pay for 'em she wants 'em so bad. Maybe she's some kinda witch or something..."

-Princess

Won't be long

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations for 2010/2011:
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2010_Hunting_Regulations.pdf                                    
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Bear

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Princess,

just tell em your a biology teacher and you need fresh hearts for class.

You may be able to order either beef, pork and/or lamb hearts from either a local butcher shop or a local chain or independent franchise store; most will carry various offal selections that they have the ability to order from their packer or distributor.   We have a local butcher shop on Mansfield Hwy south of Fort Worth called Don's Butcher Shop.  He can order just about anything I need from two or three suppliers in Dallas - hearts, kidneys, livers, pig brains, ears, tails, snouts, belly bacon, beef plates, cheeks, calf sweetbreads, beef, pig and lamb lungs, fresh bungs, you name it he can get it; he manages the shop; his name is Oliver.  Many chains may have that ability too; they may have to order a minimum of two or three offals for their meatcase and might be delighted to find someone with a specific need or needs. Get to know all your local managers, I'm sure they'd want to get to know you!  You can usually order most offals in 10 - 20 lb case lots; they're usually not packed too heavy to promote variety ordering.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989

I came to the decision after asking a lot of the members around here which one they use, for what size projects, etc. Gander Mountain sells the same one, with a Gander Mountain sticker on it of course, for a little more $$.  I like the all-metal parts and that it repacks nicely into its box for storage. I don't like a dusty grinder!

I also ordered a few extra cutting blades at the same time to save on shipping. Just put them in storage.

Cheers!

-Princess
Which grinder did you get? I'm about to buy one and have been reading up on all them.

Good luck with the suasages. Can't wait to see pics!!

My dad just told me the same thing! :)  He's got about 250 acres in north central Indiana of prime hunting land. I told him that anyone he allows out there this year needs to save the hearts for me after thew field dress them. He thinks I'm nuts, but in that good way.

Bow season starts in mid October.

Pops, I'll eat dang near anything, and have. Still, when it comes to bungs fresh or not you can keep them. The only bung I'm interested is in a barrel of beer!   
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Update: Picked the beef hearts up yesterday... just perfect. All cleaned and pretty. About 2.5 lb each. I am *so* excited to do this sausage!  Cutting and initial grinding/seasoning is Monday. Stuffing them Friday, and after a bit of a hang, into the smoker they will go. Expect a post (with Qview, of course!) soon after!

-Princess

Update: Picked the beef hearts up yesterday... just perfect. All cleaned and pretty. About 2.5 lb each. I am *so* excited to do this sausage!  Cutting and initial grinding/seasoning is Monday. Stuffing them Friday, and after a bit of a hang, into the smoker they will go. Expect a post (with Qview, of course!) soon after!

-Princess
This is gonna be Great!

We're watching.

Princess---The girl with the "Cold Heart" !

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky