Hate to be so obvious - but CHECK YOUR BATTERIES!

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by coyote-1, Nov 22, 2009.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 Smoking Fanatic

I've seen folks complain that their remote thermos ain't working unless they have line-of-sight.

My Maverick ET-73 works well all over the house. Walls are no obstacle, and it works on the 2nd floor and in the basement.

That is, if I have good batteries in the unit.

2. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Just slightly off subject but slightly on.
    My probe, I never take the battery out, it runs 24/7 and has been sitting with the smoker for about 4 months now, running off the same original AAA battery, I'm letting it go until the things finally needs a battery to see how long it will run.

3. mr mac

mr mac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I just bought a pack of triple As for my two units in prep for Thanksgiving's turkey and brisket!

4. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I always keep plenty of spare batteries in all sizes...

5. alx

alx Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like to turn mine on in the house knowing the temp indoors.I got serious about fresh batteries when i started competing.They can last few years etc...but good heads up for folks-when they go they give bad readings and the amateur may not no...........[​IMG]I never trust the remotes personaly....

6. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Yu...ppp al....wwwwwwwwwers t..t...hhhh bbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttteriessssssssssssss sssssssssss!

7. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

lol...............the bunny is your friend...they keep>>>>>

8. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Best and greenest thing to do is buy a few packs of different size rechargeable batteries. They cost a little more to start with but are quickly worth the little extra.
    Have a few sets of rechargeable, 3 chargers and use 3 Xbox remotes (2 360 and 1 streaming from the PC into the TV), 2 guitars, 3 remotes, cd player and FM transmitter in the car, probe for smoker and a few hanging wall clocks and haven't bought a battery in over 2 years after the original rechargeable ones.
    And they use minimal energy to recharge.
    Most recent electric bill with computer and a few other electronic devices on 24/7 and the other stuff during the day, $134 this month-not bad at all, and batteries can get pretty expensive if you have to keep buying new.
    just my bit of info.

9. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Bad attempt at humor! Some days your off! [​IMG]

10. nate_46

nate_46 Meat Mopper

Don't usually have this problem. I put fresh batteries in my therms everytime I smoke. Can't remember to turn them off and they must use alot of power.

11. teeroy

teeroy Smoke Blower

I wish it was this easy. Mine can't even go through a sliding glass door with fresh batteries.

I tried the recharging thing but the charged batteries have such a short life that it wasn't worth it. I was so excited when I first got it, but quickly got bummed out with the short charge life. Maybe I just got a bad charger, sounds like you're having good luck.