Hasselback Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Hasselback Potatoes
Preheat oven to 400°
OR
Smoker to at least 375°, hotter is better for these.
When cooking these in the smoker I use very light smoke and for not more than an hour.
Careful, they can easily take on too much smoke.

Use a starchy potato variety for best results.
Prep potatoes by carefully cutting 1/16"-1/8" slices approx 2/3+ into the spuds.
Baste potatoes in fat/oil, e.g. bacon grease, butter or vegetable oil.
Lightly salt or otherwise spice, making sure to get seasoning into the cuts.
Bake for 45 min, pull and baste with seasoned butter, be sure to get plenty of seasoned butter into the cuts.
Any other seasonings or herbs can be added at this point.
Return to oven and cook till edges are browning/crisping up nicely and the interior is fork tender.
Should be about 30-40 more minutes.

Nh106d5.jpg

Last edited:
I've made them a few times. Guess I'm too rough, they all broke in one or more spots. Still tasted good but not as pretty as yours...JJ

I've made them a few times. Guess I'm too rough, they all broke in one or more spots. Still tasted good but not as pretty as yours...JJ
LOL... You're not alone in that.
I always do that to a few, chop the ends off, cut a little too deep here or there, they fall apart in prep or after cooking.

Last edited:
Love these but I too am guilty of slicing some too far on occasion. Still fantastic eats.

Those look great!

Those look great never tried them in the smoker, may have to give it a try.

The key to not cutting all the way through, is to stick a bamboo skewer through the the potato, so that you only cut to the skewer then pull the skewer out when your done cutting.
That's a great tip/hack, thanks.

Last edited:
Those look picture perfect ! Bet they taste that way too .
I found the easiest way to cut them is to put 2 nylon or wooden spoons on the cutting board parallel to each other, with the potato length wise between then. Slice away and let the spoons control the depth of your cut. A couple of pieces of wood dowel would work, too.
A butter and olive oil combo with Parmesan stirred in is really tasty when you smoke the spuds. Stir often, the parm sinks to the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: Bamabww
Those look great never tried them in the smoker, may have to give it a try. The key to not cutting all the way through, is to stick a bamboo skewer through the the potato, so that you only cut to the skewer then pull the skewer out when your done cutting.
Damn, why I never thought of doing that is beside me.
That is a great pro pointer that will come in handy.
I love this forum just for this reason, you never know when you're gonna learn a new trick to make things easier.
Thank you.

Very nice John!!!, I’ve made these a few times.

I use two wooden bamboo skewers placed on each side of the potato as a guide when slicing, that way I don’t go all the way through.

I also cut a small sliver sliced longways off the potato, this stops it from rolling around. You could even place that slivered piece underneath the sliced potato, it will open the potato up a bit more to accept more seasonings....sorry I can’t explain it better. A picture is worth a thousand words here.

Thanks for the recipe John, I've seen them before but never tried one, and always thought they were spiral cut(which is why I never tried it). So it's kind of a cross between a baked potato and oven fries. I bet a little melted cheddar and bacon crumblings will go good on those babies.

Point for sure
Chris

Chile sorry for the 1 word reply,tree guy showed up love them hasselback with bacon,cheese LIKES
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky