Hash Cups

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was invited to a Christmas pot luck and asked to bring a smoked appetizer. There are many classic appetizers. However, I had an urge for something with the flavours of my youth.

When I was growing up, leftover beef would be mixed with leftover potatoes and fired up. It was called hash and it could be had for dinner or breakfast.

I had a lot of small potatoes in the cold room from this years crop and I decided I could make an appetizer remiscent of those leftover comfort food meals of my youth and invented Hash Cups.

I made them in my Timberline smoker.

I started by poking 12 small potatoes several times with a fork and put them in a casserole. I added a cup of water. I covered the casserole and microwaved on high for 4 minutes. I stirred the potatoes around and microwaved a minute at a time until the potatoes were just tender when stabbed with a fork.

Let the potatoes cool for an hour, cut them in half, and scoop them hollow with a melon baller or spoon. Put 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of grated cheese in each.

Hash Cups 01.jpg

Mix 50 ml (1/4 cup) barbecue sauce, 90 ml (3/8 cup) of the potato flesh, 310 grams (3/4 pound) of lean ground beef with 5 ml (1 teaspoon) chili powder, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Worcestershire sauce, 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) onion powder, and 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder.

You’ll note there is no egg in the mixture. Hash was crumbly and not formed like a meatball.

Spread the meat between the potato cups. Brush the underside of the potato cups with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil.

Hash Cups 02.jpg

If you want the skins crisp, put the cups on the rack of the smoker. If you like the skins softer, put the cups in a roasting pan and put the pan in the smoker. Smoke for 1 hour at 250 F (120 C). Make sure the internal temperature in the meat is over 160 F (70 C).

Hash Cups 03.jpg

Then brush the surface of the cups with 75 ml (1/3 cup) barbecue sauce. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes to set the sauce.

Hash Cups 08.jpg

Serve hot.

Hash Cups 07.jpg

Hash Cups 06.jpg

The Verdict

These were exactly what I was going for. They taste like the hash I had as a child but with more flavour and a nice roast potato base. If you are looking for a refined, little finger up, appetizer, these aren’t it. If you are looking for a taste of a classic diner dish in an appetizer, you’ll love these.

Disco

They look great disco. Gonna be some happy people at the potluck.

Ryan

I was invited to a Christmas pot luck and asked to bring a smoked appetizer. There are many classic appetizers. However, I had an urge for something with the flavours of my youth.

When I was growing up, leftover beef would be mixed with leftover potatoes and fired up. It was called hash and it could be had for dinner or breakfast.

I had a lot of small potatoes in the cold room from this years crop and I decided I could make an appetizer remiscent of those leftover comfort food meals of my youth and invented Hash Cups.

I made them in my Timberline smoker.

I started by poking 12 small potatoes several times with a fork and put them in a casserole. I added a cup of water. I covered the casserole and microwaved on high for 4 minutes. I stirred the potatoes around and microwaved a minute at a time until the potatoes were just tender when stabbed with a fork.

Let the potatoes cool for an hour, cut them in half, and scoop them hollow with a melon baller or spoon. Put 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of grated cheese in each.

View attachment 423914

Mix 50 ml (1/4 cup) barbecue sauce, 90 ml (3/8 cup) of the potato flesh, 310 grams (3/4 pound) of lean ground beef with 5 ml (1 teaspoon) chili powder, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Worcestershire sauce, 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) onion powder, and 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder.

You’ll note there is no egg in the mixture. Hash was crumbly and not formed like a meatball.

Spread the meat between the potato cups. Brush the underside of the potato cups with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil.

View attachment 423915

If you want the skins crisp, put the cups on the rack of the smoker. If you like the skins softer, put the cups in a roasting pan and put the pan in the smoker. Smoke for 1 hour at 250 F (120 C). Make sure the internal temperature in the meat is over 160 F (70 C).

View attachment 423916

Then brush the surface of the cups with 75 ml (1/3 cup) barbecue sauce. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes to set the sauce.

View attachment 423917

Serve hot.

View attachment 423918

View attachment 423919

The Verdict

These were exactly what I was going for. They taste like the hash I had as a child but with more flavour and a nice roast potato base. If you are looking for a refined, little finger up, appetizer, these aren’t it. If you are looking for a taste of a classic diner dish in an appetizer, you’ll love these.

Disco
Very creative. They are awesome.

"Little finger up" LOL.

Thank you disco, they are (were) every bit as good as you said!
20191215_165158.jpg

Will definitely make these again

Ryan

Thanks for the app idea. I looks great, and simple to boot!!!

Point for sure

Chris

MMMMmmmm....Looks Great Disco!!
I didn't know they had Taters that long ago!!
I could down a few of them real easy!!
Like.

Bear

Har! They had potatoes but you had to go to Peru to get them! Merry Christmas to the Bear family!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky