Has anyone used the "Heavy D" Stick burner attachment?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Perhaps guys....I see it the other way. This device adds some real wood flavor(which to me, has a different taste - thus far - with my smoking thus far). The temp spikes thus far haven't been anything more than when I leave the door open for an extended period of time so I'm ok with that and the PID auto-correcting itself over time. To me, that's what the PID should do and does. So while I only have a few cook under my belt with the heavy D, I've happy. I have learned though that keeping the Heavy D in will not allow my Bull to get to max temps. I used t be able to get to 600 and with the Heavy D in, I could only get to 536. So from now on when just grilling and not using any extra wood, I will just take the heavy D out and save it for long smoke cooks like Ribs and brisket and such. I may try it with wood sometime with high temps but not sure if that is a great idea because it will most definitely start a fire.

SlowmotionQue - best of luck to you. You have the right grill if you want consistency....anytime you do an add-on like the Heavy D, you have to expect things to not work as designed but the whole prop open the door trick would never work for a Rec Tec because of the PID controller would just make it work hard and raise the temp.

And best of luck to you as well kstone. But seriously, I'm trying to take as much of the "luck" out of this as I can.

Of course, already, you are seeing that the Heavy D is causing your Bull to not works as well as it should were it stock, in that your Bull is hitting a lower top temperature with it, than it can without it.

That's robbing you of some of your grill's capability right there. Even while it's empty and contains no wood. Likely on account of it being made of such a heavy gauge steel which has to take some time and effort to heat up itself.

My best prediction, is that you may, or actually will, discover up the road, that whatever it is offering you in "taste" in smoking efforts, is offset, or more than offset in what it will end up costing you in terms of temperature control.

If I had wanted a pellet grill which ran with temps jumping all over the place, I would have bought a Traeger, a Pit Boss or a GMG.

When you eventually get sick of not being able to tell if your temps are going to get out of control or not, and no better than someone running a $300.00 Pit Boss or a Traeger in your PID controlled pellet grill, you'll end up pulling it from your lineup too. Despite any taste advantage, perceived or otherwise, it gives you.

I give you another half dozen to one dozen long cooks, brisket length or good sized pork shoulder length cooks, I'm talking 12 hrs plus, before you start considering, if not outright deciding, to pull it from the rotation entirely.

Already you've pulled it from your everyday pellet grilling duties.

"...So from now on when just grilling and not using any extra wood, I will just take the heavy D out and save it for long smoke cooks like Ribs and brisket and such...."

Yep.

And then the time will come around when you conclude that it is too unpredictable to even leave for your "long smoke cooks like Ribs and brisket and such"

Well, ribs you might get some use out of it as ribs are "short" cooks compared to brisket.

.... The temp spikes thus far haven't been anything more than when I leave the door open for an extended period of time so I'm ok with that and the PID auto-correcting itself over time. To me, that's what the PID should do and does.

Eventually the Heavy D will surpass your PID controller's ability to correct cooking chamber temperatures.

Look at it this way, the PID controller can slow the rate at which pellets make it into the burn pot and the airflow and hence control chamber temperatures.

But what if.....what if ...you were to shut the grill off completely and just allow a fully loaded Smoke Daddy Heavy D burn inside of it, beneath your grease pan?

How hot do you think that the grill would eventually get, even if it were turned off completely with the wood in the Heavy D either completely or partially in flames?

In such a circumstance, it would certainly get hotter than any temp at which you would normally smoke meat. And you would have a hell of a time getting it down without opening the lid and either leaving it open until the wood burned out, or periodically opening it to let heat out.

On a side note, with that flame in there and your Bull's center located auger leading from a 40lb hopper, at what point will you start to consider the possibility of burn back?

But my point is, eventually it is possibly going to take your PID controller and it's ability to control chamber temperatures, completely out of the picture.

Please respond to this post when you discover this. Like I say, my prediction is that it won't take you too much longer to experience just what I describe above.

Last edited:
IMO if I have to use this product to get the amount of smoke I want this aint the smoker for me, I would be better off using my electric smoker with the wood chunks or my propane smoker

IMO if I have to use this product to get the amount of smoke I want this aint the smoker for me, I would be better off using my electric smoker with the wood chunks or my propane smoker

A smoke tube with your Xtreme smoke setting, or whatever it may be called with your particular grill will possibly get you close to what this device will give you. And without the hassle of potential runaway temps.

I say that because if/when the wood in it is aflame, it's not giving off much smoke anyway. But it is giving off plenty of heat.

A smoke tube is as far as I will go to add xtra, they are $20 at Walmart and work well. I bought 1 last year qand don't always use it

I did some ribs over the weekend and thought I would update you all. So I used apple and cherry chunks in my heavy D. I decided to soak in water for maybe 30 minutes or so. Eventually when the wood in the heavy D did start smoking(which seems to delay it an hour or so b/c of soaking), my temp did spike from 225 all the way up to 300 however I decided to not touch anything and see if the PID controller would do its thing and correct the spike. It did...it took maybe 30 minutes or so but eventually made its way back to 225. While I don't like the huge spike, I do like how it self corrected and no doubt the wood gave ribs an amazing flavor.

Next time I may not soak the chunks, but not sure. Going to talk with a few people on the Rec Tec facebook pages about what exactly others have done. I won't say a ton of people use it but a decent amount of people use it and like it like me.

While I do plan to take out when doing any high temp cooking, I haven't taken it out since putting the heavy D in expect for reloading wood.

I did get a pellet tube but I haven't used it yet. Most I've talked to said you don't get a ton of smoke flavor from them even though I still plan to use at some point. I just need to get a torch for it.

@Slowsmokeque - I think my perspective plays into why I like the heavy D and while I will continue to use it. I come from using a propane vertical smoker. Just a good entry level smoker with big capacity however the temp control, not so great. With winds, I could see 100 degree temp swings or more. When I would do overnight cooks, I had alarms not only for internal temps but also a high and low bbq temp. I didn't care as long as it would stay above like 350 because sometimes I would get flame up from the wood catching fire but usually like to keep the temp around 250. But case in point, I was using real wood before my pellet smoker. I don't think many would disagree that wood smoke has a stronger taste than pellet smoke. So since I was used to temp swings from my previous smoker, a temporary spike doesn't bother me. I will admit, when I first got my propane vertical smoker, I used to stress about temp and drove myself crazy. When I just let go and made sure the temp swings weren't too crazy, all ended up being fine and made great bbq. With Rec Tec's PID controller, I am seeing what temp control does and does make a difference.

All this said, I don't think and agree that the heavy D is not for all. If say someone came from a Traeger, Pit Boss, etc, then I am sure for most, the smoke produced would be fine since those would be used to that smoke. Just like if someone(perhaps this is your background) who had an electric smoker(cheap but keeps temp good) would also find a big spike not acceptable. I think it just depends on perspective. I will top this all off by saying if I had to prop over my door to use this device, I won't bother because then it won't be a non baby sitting type of deal. With Rec Tec and even with the Heavy D, it ran like a champ and produced some amazing ribs!

Appears from chatting with someone I know, using chunks(not sure how much the soaked part changes things) and not mini logs was why I had such a huge temp spike. The person I talked to said he started using mini logs, he only sees a 10 degree spike which is less than you'd see if you left the door open for 5 minutes....I know Slowsmokeque above laid out a good process for the mini logs - thank you for all the details above.

I did some ribs over the weekend and thought I would update you all. So I used apple and cherry chunks in my heavy D. I decided to soak in water for maybe 30 minutes or so. Eventually when the wood in the heavy D did start smoking(which seems to delay it an hour or so b/c of soaking), my temp did spike from 225 all the way up to 300 however I decided to not touch anything and see if the PID controller would do its thing and correct the spike. It did...it took maybe 30 minutes or so but eventually made its way back to 225. While I don't like the huge spike, I do like how it self corrected and no doubt the wood gave ribs an amazing flavor.

Next time I may not soak the chunks, but not sure. Going to talk with a few people on the Rec Tec facebook pages about what exactly others have done. I won't say a ton of people use it but a decent amount of people use it and like it like me.

While I do plan to take out when doing any high temp cooking, I haven't taken it out since putting the heavy D in expect for reloading wood.

I did get a pellet tube but I haven't used it yet. Most I've talked to said you don't get a ton of smoke flavor from them even though I still plan to use at some point. I just need to get a torch for it.

@Slowsmokeque - I think my perspective plays into why I like the heavy D and while I will continue to use it. I come from using a propane vertical smoker. Just a good entry level smoker with big capacity however the temp control, not so great. With winds, I could see 100 degree temp swings or more. When I would do overnight cooks, I had alarms not only for internal temps but also a high and low bbq temp. I didn't care as long as it would stay above like 350 because sometimes I would get flame up from the wood catching fire but usually like to keep the temp around 250. But case in point, I was using real wood before my pellet smoker. I don't think many would disagree that wood smoke has a stronger taste than pellet smoke. So since I was used to temp swings from my previous smoker, a temporary spike doesn't bother me. I will admit, when I first got my propane vertical smoker, I used to stress about temp and drove myself crazy. When I just let go and made sure the temp swings weren't too crazy, all ended up being fine and made great bbq. With Rec Tec's PID controller, I am seeing what temp control does and does make a difference.

All this said, I don't think and agree that the heavy D is not for all. If say someone came from a Traeger, Pit Boss, etc, then I am sure for most, the smoke produced would be fine since those would be used to that smoke. Just like if someone(perhaps this is your background) who had an electric smoker(cheap but keeps temp good) would also find a big spike not acceptable. I think it just depends on perspective. I will top this all off by saying if I had to prop over my door to use this device, I won't bother because then it won't be a non baby sitting type of deal. With Rec Tec and even with the Heavy D, it ran like a champ and produced some amazing ribs!

I’ve posted this helpful tip a while back along with soaking the wood chunks and splits for 15-30 mins. is to add a decent size water pan to your Pellet Grill. Adding a water pan can make a huge difference in temperature control while using the SD HD Stick Burning Heat Diffuser... My PB Austin XL is a Non PID Pellet Grill and many End Users would complain of temp swings... I never had issues, one, because I always preheat my grill and two, I use a water pan on every cook on my pellet grill. Knowing that the SD HD burns real wood in real time, I had to figure out how to best add this add-on to my Pellet Grill, knowing the extra heat it would produce could cause temp issues. I wanted that real wood flavor I’ve grown to enjoy for over 50 years, so adding a water pan was no big deal. I’ve always said Pellet Grills are not for everyone and this SD HD is not for everyone either. I don’t consider using a Water Pan as extra work and I’ve been using mine in my grill non stop since last year. For those Pellet Grill Owners that can only live with a 5*-10* degree temp swing in your pellet grills, this device is not for you. For those that don’t believe in adding a water pan to your grill, this device may not be for you... Is extra smoke for everybody?? No and this device is not for them. For those who comment on why this device is bad and does not work, without ever using it for yourself shows their complete ignorance... But for those Pit Masters that want to add that little extra to their game and add that nice extra smoke profile to their cooks that many Pellet Owners truly miss, the SD HD can be a valid option. Burning extra pellets for smoke is not the same as burning real wood and the flavor profile that only real wood can produce. Not only is the SD HD a true heat diffuser, but for those who miss that real wood smoke flavor, this can be a game changer. Some People like to keep things simple and the Pellet Grill was a great investment... Set it and Forget it-KISS- “Keep it Simple Stupid” bbqing and that’s fine.. Oh, but you still have to keep the fire pot clean of ash, oh and preheat the grill and oh do I have to read and follow the instructions, Do I have to do the initial burn off of oil before my first cook?? smh... Having said all that, it’s easy to see why Pellet Grills are not for everyone and adding a device like the SD HD is not for everyone... But for those that truly enjoy real wood smoke flavor on their Que and don’t mind a few easy extra steps to get there, the SD HD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser just may be the ticket.. Just Start Low and Slow, pre soak the wood for a few mins and Always add a decent size water pan with water or whatever flavor you would like to add like Apple Juice, that’s it. This entire thread has some good info and is a good read. Kstone113, keep posting your results and Enjoy..

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I’ve posted this helpful tip a while back along with soaking the wood chunks and splits for 15-30 mins. is to add a decent size water pan to your Pellet Grill. Adding a water pan can make a huge difference in temperature control while using the SD HD Stick Burning Heat Diffuser... My PB Austin XL is a Non PID Pellet Grill and many End Users would complain of temp swings... I never had issues, one, because I always preheat my grill and two, I use a water pan on every cook on my pellet grill. Knowing that the SD HD burns real wood in real time, I had to figure out how to best add this add-on to my Pellet Grill, knowing the extra heat it would produce could cause temp issues. I wanted that real wood flavor I’ve grown to enjoy for over 50 years, so adding a water pan was no big deal. I’ve always said Pellet Grills are not for everyone and this SD HD is not for everyone either. I don’t consider using a Water Pan as extra work and I’ve been using mine in my grill non stop since last year. For those Pellet Grill Owners that can only live with a 5*-10* degree temp swing in your pellet grills, this device is not for you. For those that don’t believe in adding a water pan to your grill, this device may not be for you... Is extra smoke for everybody?? No and this device is not for them. For those who comment on why this device is bad and does not work, without ever using it for yourself shows their complete ignorance... But for those Pit Masters that want to add that little extra to their game and add that nice extra smoke profile to their cooks that many Pellet Owners truly miss, the SD HD can be a valid option. Burning extra pellets for smoke is not the same as burning real wood and the flavor profile that only real wood can produce. Not only is the SD HD a true heat diffuser, but for those who miss that real wood smoke flavor, this can be a game changer. Some People like to keep things simple and the Pellet Grill was a great investment... Set it and Forget it-KISS- “Keep it Simple Stupid” bbqing and that’s fine.. Oh, but you still have to keep the fire pot clean of ash, oh and preheat the grill and oh do I have to read and follow the instructions, Do I have to do the initial burn off of oil before my first cook?? smh... Having said all that, it’s easy to see why Pellet Grills are not for everyone and adding a device like the SD HD is not for everyone... But for those that truly enjoy real wood smoke flavor on their Que and don’t mind a few easy extra steps to get there, the SD HD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser just may be the ticket.. Just Start Low and Slow, pre soak the wood for a few mins and Always add a decent size water pan with water or whatever flavor you would like to add like Apple Juice, that’s it. This entire thread has some good info and is a good read. Kstone113, keep posting your results and Enjoy..

Thanks man, I agree with you 100%. I am going to keep messing with how I load the SD HD but definitely appears I need to switch to mini logs talking to others. I may try the water pan but I know hardly any Rec Tec guys use a water plan. You have a pit boss so I believe that's not a PID so thus the water plan can help regulate the temp. I Don't know(may have to test it) if adding a water pan this past weekend would of avoided that big of a spike or not. I'm not confident it would of avoided the big temp spike.

Appears from chatting with someone I know, using chunks(not sure how much the soaked part changes things) and not mini logs was why I had such a huge temp spike. The person I talked to said he started using mini logs, he only sees a 10 degree spike which is less than you'd see if you left the door open for 5 minutes....I know Slowsmokeque above laid out a good process for the mini logs - thank you for all the details above.

The last cook I did with it I used split mini logs although not perfectly square ones.

Of note, if you want split logs that will very closely fit the HD, leaving say 1/4 inch clearance, it appears to me that, and from my own token research on finding wood logs for bbq, you’ll have to order them custom cut. And those are not cheap.

The ones I pointed you to on eBay are I believe 2.5x2.5 and they’re about 3 inches short in length of filling the chamber.

The point though is that I left as few areas devoid of wood as possible. And the ones which were free air spaces, were very small.

But the bottom line for me is, this item is not “set it and forget it”. At least not consistently anyway.

In my own experience, I’ve found it to be extra work, make no mistake about it. And depending upon factors unknown to me at this time, and after several cooks with it, I also found it to be extra headaches in terms of temperature control. It has thus far been impossible for me to predict when I’d have no temp issues and when I would, when using it

Really, at least to me, it’s common sense.

It burns wood. Typically hardwoods like hickory, which burn hot and often times produce flames.

It’s heavy gauge metal and the SD HD itself gets extremely hot.

So since it’s burning, and as a result, cannot help but generate more heat inside the cooking chamber, it then becomes a matter of either living with elevated temps and spikes, or hoping that my PID controller, and I have such an equipped grill, can compensate for the additional heat.

When it can, then I was fine.

However if or when in those situations where it couldn’t, well then I found that I might not be.

One of my own lesser fears, but fears nonetheless, is in the safety of the item and whether or not it could create a burnback situation into the hopper, in the middle of a late night or overnight, unattended cook.

So about your ribs....the first time I tried the heavy D I had at 180 for awhile to keep the temp down because it spiked but when I got home, I saw no smoke coming out of the smoke stack but saw some smoke coming from the hopper.

Smoke coming from a Rec Tec Bull's 40lb capacity hopper? I don't like the sound of this at all. I'm glad that all that happened here was just "smoke".

Or even a cook where the owner is present.

Should that happen, where does the liability lie?

I can just see a grill manufacturer denying responsibility in such a case.

The post describing smoke coming from a Rec Tec Bull's pellet hopper, was disturbing to me. A Rec Tec Bull, holds 40lbs of pellets. I don't see anything promising about smoke coming from a 40lb stash of sawdust pellets. This time the owner didn't suffer a mishap. What about next time?

You may have seen a max temp of 300* for 30 minutes, which would be unacceptable to me, I understand if it’s ok with you though, however next time, you’re liable to be looking at 400* when you set it for 225*

In a pellet grill, that’s a deal breaker for me.

A water pan is unacceptable to me as well. It takes up valuable grill cooking space.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I agree with you 100%. I am going to keep messing with how I load the SD HD but definitely appears I need to switch to mini logs talking to others. I may try the water pan but I know hardly any Rec Tec guys use a water plan. You have a pit boss so I believe that's not a PID so thus the water plan can help regulate the temp. I Don't know(may have to test it) if adding a water pan this past weekend would of avoided that big of a spike or not. I'm not confident it would of avoided the big temp spike.

Kstone113, Here’s a good read about water pans and bbq grills... https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6656-why-use-a-water-pan-in-your-grill
Water boils at 212* degrees, the amount/volume of water is key along with the aluminum itself will help in temp control. Will the water pan make everything perfect, no, but it will make a huge difference. It could be the difference of having a manageable cook, to having one that is out of control. Remember to start Your cook Low and Slow, like at 200* degrees and if you notice the temps rising to high, drop your grill down to Smoke Mode... Give it a shot and post back if the water pan does help in controlling your PID Controlled Pellet Grills temp from the increased heat caused by the wood. You can also try using less wood in the SD HD and see if that helps. I’m sure after a few more cooks, You’ll have everything figured out for the better... Funny, I always thought Wood was what made real bbq, Bbq... And You have to burn Wood to get the job done. Right? I know some grills may have space limitations and the volume of what’s being cooked may be more important for them. Looking forward to see Your results on your next cook.

As the owner of two Weber Smokey Mountains, an 18in and a 22in, I know very well the value of a water pan inside of a smoker. I also know the benefits of a cooker designed for a water pan, vs one sacrificing grill space for a water pan.

However I also recognize that in this hobby of ours, virtually everything is a compromise. It comes down to what you are willing to put up with. What you're willing to give up.

Each person will, of course, have to decide that for themselves.

However I am not about to sacrifice grill space for the purposes of essentially "heating up water" that I'm going to "pour out" at the end of the cook. And performing this act, all in the hopes that I can use an aftermarket device without my temps getting out of control.

I could put another pork shoulder, or brisket flat on in the same grill space that I'm wasting to heat up water.

I'd no more do that, than prop open the lid on my grill with a rock or block of wood in order to do same.

Now some may make that compromise. But many won't. I won't. Not in a grill that I paid for so that I would NOT have to worry about temperature swings.

If I want to worry about temp swings, and all for the sake of getting "better smoke flavor", well then I'll use one of my WSMs, fill it's water pan, and tend fire and get smoke flavor results which would likely surpass those of my pellet grill with a SD HD in it.

If I'm not going to use a "set it and forget it" device, and I'm going to have to babysit, witness potentially wild temperature swings or temperature swings much broader than my PID controlled pellet grill, and on top of that, use water to try and control temps, well then why wouldn't I just use a WSM which is considerably cheaper than my pellet grill and gives world renown, contest winning, "smoke flavor"?

How many BBQ contests has a pellet grill with the SD HD in it won? If I want to babysit and/or make compromises in the name of getting "smoke flavor", then I'll do as I describe above.

I'm saying, if you are reading this, and you are the kind of person who won't make the potential compromises that I refer to above, water pans taking up grill space, lids propped open, unpredictable temperature swings, in the quest for "more smoke", well then you might want to do as much research as possible on any aftermarket items out there for your grill.

As an aside, has anyone in here had the misfortune of accidentally spilling a pan of water inside of a hot and running pellet grill?

How many want to risk it? I've never had it happen and never will. But I'd bet that it makes a mess. Wet pellets in the burn pot and around the auger? I'm thinking that would make a mess that I'm not willing to risk for the sake of "more smoke flavor". I bought a PID controlled grill so that I wouldn't have to use a water pan.

Finally, when it comes to keeping the fire pot clean of ash, I consider that routine maintenance. You have to remove the ash from any charcoal grill too.

Preheating a grill, no, I don't consider that an "extra step" either. I preheat my oven.

I also do not have to read my grill's instructions, every time I use it. Nor do I have to burn off manufacturer's oils or coatings prior to each use.

However I do consider the use of the SD HD an extra step. And I'm not one who is just talking. I've used it and have the pics from multiple posts in here to prove it.

And it is from that standpoint that I'll say this. If you're considering this device, or really any aftermarket device intended to give you more smoke, do your homework and know the pros and cons.

Last edited:
Reactions: retfr8flyr
HeyRCAlan - thanks for the info. From the article though, that is geared more towards stick burners. In my vertical propane smoker, it came with a big water chamber which i would use. I usually put beer or something in there but from talking with some in a facebook group(smoke hollow), a bunch stopped using it and put play sand in there. I did that and didn't look back. BBQ came out the same if not better b/c the sand would help keep temps more steady. When I used water/beer or whatever, I would have the temps stay low with water and then run and out jump up.

Most will say you don't need a water pan in a pellet grill however all that being said, I will try it. I don't like the idea of losing real estate in the grill though so it won't be my first or even second option.

I'll keep playing with it all and figure out what is best. I definitely won't be soaking next time as someone I know shared a link on soaking wood.
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...Ver63CkpxvSQ_LINJdh3vj9JhHnXI1EVI6Cn7DI-ls8VM

Smoke on!

HeyRCAlan - thanks for the info. From the article though, that is geared more towards stick burners. In my vertical propane smoker, it came with a big water chamber which i would use. I usually put beer or something in there but from talking with some in a facebook group(smoke hollow), a bunch stopped using it and put play sand in there. I did that and didn't look back. BBQ came out the same if not better b/c the sand would help keep temps more steady. When I used water/beer or whatever, I would have the temps stay low with water and then run and out jump up.

Most will say you don't need a water pan in a pellet grill however all that being said, I will try it. I don't like the idea of losing real estate in the grill though so it won't be my first or even second option.

I'll keep playing with it all and figure out what is best. I definitely won't be soaking next time as someone I know shared a link on soaking wood.
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...Ver63CkpxvSQ_LINJdh3vj9JhHnXI1EVI6Cn7DI-ls8VM

Smoke on!

If memory serves me, that article on the myth of soaking wood chips and chunks has been on the Amazing Ribs site for awhile now.

It’s an excellent read.

But like I said earlier, some of this to me is common sense.

If water were effective at rapidly penetrating wood, then the practice of log driving cut timber down river, wouldn’t have existed.

Did Columbus sail over here on steel hulled ships or wooden hull ships?

If water could penetrate wood as quickly and effectively as some of us might think that it can, especially dried hardwood, Columbus would have drowned. And Noah before him.

So no, water does not penetrate thickly cut wood, especially thickly cut dried hardwood typically used for smoking, to any appreciable extent in a few minutes.

Good move of skipping yet another added step that is of questionable benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kstone113
Page 1 posting #8 and page 2 posting #28...

If You have read this entire thread, you would’ve read on page 1 the #8 posting that I said that soaking wood would help, but that the End User doesn’t have too and again on Page 2. Posting #28 I said that soaking is not necessary and that would be up to the End User to decide.

For Me, I don’t soak my wood to add any benefit to the smoke profile. I’ve been bbqing almost my entire life, so I know what works for me... For my PB Pellet Grill, I soak my wood for 15-30 mins for 1. To create a stall/delay in the firing off of the wood on my Pellet Grill. Let’s not get it confused, this step was to enable me to burn real wood in My Pellet Grill and to be able to run my preheating procedures correctly... Each Pellet Grill is different and mines recommends a preheating at 300-350* degrees for 20 plus mins. Dry splits or chunks would fire off almost instantly, that’s why I soak my wood for 15-30 mins. to create that delay so once I drop my grills temp down to 200* degrees or Smoke, the wood hasn’t fully ignited yet. Water Pans can be an asset for Pellet Grills like aiding in temp control and adding moisture to tough cuts of meats.. but if the End User does go that route, use the utmost care... Water and Pellets definitely don’t work well together when mixed, so be careful of water spillage in the grill.

Food for thought... If You were at the beach and the sign said beware of Sharks... Would You still enter the water even though you knew how to swim?? You can heed the advice or you can make your own choice... I try to help those when I can, but I force no one... They can figure it out the easy way or the hard way... My bbq is great, My heat diffuser works great, My Grills temps are very manageable and I don’t have any issues with smoke coming out of my Grills Hopper. So as not to have a never ending back and forth on a topic we agree to disagree on... I was able to add a few extra steps that allowed the SD HD to work in my pellet grill. That was not viable option for you... Research is always the best path and I believe You’re trying to help just as I am.

Last edited:
Kstone113, as you own a Rec Tec Bull, there is no need to pre heat it to 300*-350* and then continue to run the grill, dial it back down and wait for it to drop back down to a usual smoking temp of say 225*-250*. Nor wait for it to drop all the way back down into the "Xtreme Smoke" range, ie less than 200* for a Rec Tec.

Preheating to 300-350* degrees for 20 plus mins, and then dialing back to my normal smoke temp and waiting several additional minutes on top of that 20 minutes, for it to cool down to 200* before starting to cook???? I can't imagine. Seriously, and again, just me, but I'm scratching my head here. I'd go and light a chimney of lump charcoal and fire up my WSM before I'd do that.

In many ways, thank goodness that you don’t have to perform such steps in order to use your grill and get good results.

Looking at that, in terms of time expended and pellets expended, doing so would very quickly and easily add up. While pellets are cheap, time isn't necessarily, and so optimally, I'd prefer not to waste either if I don't have to.

So bottom line on that, perhaps you should be grateful that operation of your particular grill does not call for such steps. Reading some of your prior writings, it seems doubtful that you're likely to introduce such a step or steps, into your cooking process, however I do admit that I could be wrong on that.

If you’re like many, if not most Rec Tec owners, including this one, then you set your grill to the desired temp that you want, and when it hits it you put your meat on.....and your PID controller, makes sure that it stays put at plus or minus 5 degrees of that set temperature for your cook, or until you tell it to do otherwise. That's part of what you paid for.

Or if you open the lid. And even after you open the lid, it’s going to take s few mins to go right back to the temp you had set.

In your case you’ve described how the suggestion of soaking your wood would be of no benefit to you. I have to say that I follow your logic.

I particularly follow your logic, when taking into account that as soon as the little bit of water that your wood soaked in during a several minutes soak, it’s going to go ahead and ignite as usual anyway.

Wood in your HD placed in your Bull, is possibly either going to ignite somewhere en route (likely around 200*) to you reaching your set desired smoking temp of 225-250* (if you smoke at those temps), or if you take the time to wet the wood, it is possibly going to ignite as soon as that little bit of water that soaked into it evaporates.

And at a set temp 225*, I can tell you for a fact that this temp was hot enough to ignite wood in the SD HD while placed in my Stampede.

Indeed, I'll do you one better. Even during my experiment running my Stampede on Xtreme Smoke plus the SD HD, the Xtreme Smoke setting coming in at a temp of 180-185*, the wood eventually ignited and Xtreme smoke temps were surpassed and heading into my normal smoking temp of 225 in minutes.

Instead of letting my PID controller continue to fight to keep the temps at 180-185 Xtreme Smoke range, as it was getting nowhere doing that, I went ahead and dialed up my temps to my normal 225* before allowing my original plan of running at Xtreme Smoke for 2hrs first, played out.

The point? Even at Xtreme Smoke temps of 185*, the wood ignited and drove up my temps. Granted the wood was dry. But had it been wet, what would it have bought me? Maybe another 10 mins, and billowing "steam" before I saw the same thing? No thanks.

As a Rec Tec owner myself, and with experience using this item, my belief, my opinion now is that the most logical “best” option for use of this device in a PID controlled Rec Tec, is to not fully load it with wood.

Because if you do, your temps are going to likely shoot up and become more difficult for your PID controller to manage them.

So my first piece of advice, and I offer you it because I am trying to help, is going to be use as little wood in it as will give you the additional smoke flavor you’re seeking. Find out the amount of wood that is, and go with it. Hopefully the amount of wood which will give you the desired smoke flavor you seek, is something less than filling both sides of the item.

This will possibly give you your best chance of avoiding potential runaway temps during the times that you might not be watching your temps.

If anything, well, logically, it should limit the duration of excessive temps as the wood is consumed. It would seem that less wood would facilitate this instead of if the thing is chock full of wood.

Secondly, if you’re going to use this device, then I'd recommend that you use it with realistic expectations. That is, do know that logic dictates that should the wood ignite, and it will, your temps are going to go up and your PID controller in your Bull is going to have an additional burden to deal with or take into account. A burden which it was not designed by Rec Tec to deal with, namely ignited wood in an aftermarket device. So don’t expect that it will be as quick nor as effective at controlling your temps as it would be were the grill stock.

However in those cases where it appears that it did, well be thankful but cautious that this might be the exception and not the rule.

Finally, and again, it goes to common sense and logic, and likely ties into that which you already know or have experienced at one time or another on some other cooker.

Once wood ignites into flames inside of the HD as it sits in your grill, dialing your temps back, is not going to extinguish the flames. At least not immediately anyway. It's going to stay lit and in flames for awhile, and give off heat for awhile. I'll elaborate.

If I get a flame up, or even a grease fire in my Kamado Joe, well then I can close the top and bottom vents, shut it and the seal of the lid will starve the flames for air and they are extinguished. In fact, in a good sealing Kamado, you won’t see even so much as a peep or a wisp of smoke around it’s lid when it’s shut.

If I get a flare up or grease fire in a kettle or my WSM, well again, I can close off the top and bottom vents, shut the lid and quickly put it out, starving the flames for oxygen.

I have no such option in my Stampede. You have no such option in your Bull. Your Bull, my Stampede, have a grease port, through which air can get in and feed flames. Right at the site where it would be needed. Furthermore, I know on my Stampede, and perhaps on your bull, the lid does not form the seal that my Kamado Joe does, nor that my WSM does when closed. Thus it's more drafty than either. This is why you see burn residue on the stainless steel surrounding the lid of a Bull or Stampede. They were never intended to seal as tightly as a Kamado.

What this means is that a grease fire, should one occur inside my Stampede is going to be more difficult to manage than in my other cookers. And by extension, ignited wood, forget the grease fire example for now, is also going to take longer to extinguish back down to just "smoldering" inside of my Stampede vs the same situation in one of my other cookers. Common sense. Logic.

Last edited:
All good and good discussion guys. I'll post my next cook I do with the heavy D.

Yeah - Rec Tec does not need a pre-heat at all though I do understand the logic of it but that's with non-pid controller. I think even smokedaddy states that.

All good and good discussion guys. I'll post my next cook I do with the heavy D.

Yeah - Rec Tec does not need a pre-heat at all though I do understand the logic of it but that's with non-pid controller. I think even smokedaddy states that.

You are exactly right. Your Rec Tec Bull manual states on page 11:

Preheating

"It is important to allow your grill to preheat and achieve your desired cooking temperature before cooking. This allows the entire grill to heat up and quickly return to your desired temperature once your food is introduced. If you do not allow the grill to preheat, you will find that it takes a longer period of time to bring both the grill and the food to your desired cooking temperature."

Doesn't say anything at all about "overshooting" your desired cooking temp by 100* or more and then letting it back off to your desired cooking temp, thank goodness.

The manual goes on to say:

"Always preheat grill to desired temperature before use.

So once your "desired temp" is hit, you're good to go.

If you are going to do another cook with the SD HD, well then I would definitely urge you to try varying amounts of wood in it for your subsequent cooks.

And in that endeavor, I'd go with chunks instead of splits so as to make it easier for you. You may find that filling it say, half full, or 3/4 full, or even 1/4 full, might give you the smoke taste you want on your food.

If you really want to get fancy, and you're into adding "extra steps" to you cooking process and you have a scale, well then you can weigh the amount of wood chunks that give you the desired smoke flavor and load the SD HD with that amount in ounces of wood chunks in an effort to get consistency.

I, for a while, would weigh the amount of wood I was using in my WSMs in an attempt to obtain consistency and avoid "oversmoking" my food in those cookers.

Just a thought.

But if you're like many Rec Tec users, well then you likely fire up your grill to a set temp, let it come to that temp while you season your meat, membrane your ribs, what have you, and when it hits your desired set temp, you put your meat on, shut the lid, and go about your business, knowing that your PID controller is going to keep it there to within 5 degrees.

That's convenience.

Finally, in your Bull, you have 702 sq in of cooking space to my Stampede's 592sq in of cooking space. You have, and more importantly paid an extra $300.00 for among other things, that extra 110 sq in of cooking space that I wish I had. Space that I had to get by buying additional Rec Tec shelves.

It would be a travesty for you to have paid for that extra 110 sq in of cooking space, so that you could now "heat up water" on it, in an attempt to use someone else's aftermarket device, that in my opinion, needs additional thought or work, or again IMO, at the least, better instructions.

If you were willing to go with less cooking space the size of a water pan, well then why not buy a Stampede in the first place, instead of a Bull?

Again, that point above, well it goes right back to an underlying theme. Straight talk. Common sense. Logic.

Just my opinion, but one should not have to give up grill space the size of a water pan, in order to make up for a shortcoming somewhere else.

Last edited:
The size of Your pellet grill does play an important role and can factor in if the SD HD would even be a good viable option. I for one wouldn’t recommend the SD HD to anyone with a Tailgater, Small or near Medium size pellet grill... The Smaller the Grill, the less Temp Control You’ll have due to the grills size and the amount of heat the SD HD can produce, In posting .#50 I said that using less wood in the SD HD could also help in temp management and if You’re working with 700 plus sq inches of cooking space, that is definitely something I would do... Using less wood. The heat distribution in a small to near medium size pellet grill would be almost impossible to control burning real wood in a fully loaded SD HD... My PB Austin XL comes with 1000sq inches of cooking space, so being able to add a water pan was no issue for me and I too don’t fully load my SH HD with wood... Maybe 70-80% loaded with wood... and I have no issues using it in my PB Austin XL and I don’t have to prop the lid on my PB either.. For Someone with almost half that cooking space and the size of the SD HD itself... I can see why some Users are having trouble controlling their grills temps. The larger the grill, the better heat distribution You’ll have. Medium Size Pellet Grills, I would try using 50% of Capacity for loading the SD HD with wood. The larger the Grill, the better heat distribution and temp control You’ll have... Seems logical... As the heat is not focused in such a small space. Will Your Grills temps ever be within 5*-10* degrees of your set point using the SD HD?? No.. Common Since, it’s burning Real Wood in Real time. I knew when I first saw the Info Video that this device was going to add some extra heat that I was going to have too manage and deal with... I was ok with that. For those willing to compromise a little, the temps can be made very manageable. If anyone is not willing or is able to compromise, this product is not for You. To bad the SD HD doesn’t come in different sizes... and I’ve posted a few times, “One Size does not always fits all”. and to those who may be interested in adding real wood smoke option to their pellet grills, it would be a good idea to reach out too SmokeDaddyinc first for their input and advice. Giving them Your Pellet Grills brand and size.. Not only to see if the SD HD would fit, but also for their input and added information to help you get started.

Good luck.

Hey RCAlan - you peaked my interest with that 1000 square inches space. I had to look it up but that's the first and second shelf together.

Off topic but is this your first pellet grill? I believe those are non-PID controlled right? From your posts, I can tell you love your grill. When people ask what is an affordable good pellet grill, do you think Pit Boss is near the top? I hear good things about Green Mountain also, camp chef and others. Just more curious on my part as Rec Tec is just over double the price of it.

I gotta mess with you here and tell ya I got you beat. Though mine is 703 inches on the main grate, I decided not to get the Rec Tec second shelf and got two stainless steel racks off Amazon(someone on the Rec Tec pages had recommended) and they worked great. Another reason I got those racks was for 2, I got cheaper than the one rec tec shelf. With those two shelfs, I have over 1100 square inches of space. I'll upload a pic of me doing 4 briskets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky