Has anyone used the "Heavy D" Stick burner attachment?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would try some Mojobitcks before I went to the "Heavy D".
Interesting product. Haven't seen those before but I have to wonder how they compare to a smoke tube with pellets...

For what it is worth, I have not run my HD enough yet to form an opinion however the last run of ribs done seemed to have that deeper smoke profile. My first impression is good but need to ensure it's not in the head.

The first couple of runs were interesting learning how it affects temperatures and heat distribution. I can say the smell of the smoke that the HD puts off is FAR different than the smell of a smoke tube with pellets. In a good way.

Also, the effort really is minimal. I have had good luck starting up the grill with the HD installed and preloaded. Hope to get some more run time on it and provide my thoughts.

No modifications... The fit is a bit snug though. You’ll have to place it a little off center to the right covering the burn pot, other then that , no mods. Make sure when you use it, preheat your grill first for at least 20mins. before you do anything... Once done, for a long Smoke, set your grills temp no higher then 225* degrees... “Smoke” mode is best.. Wait until your grills temp settles down from the Preheat temp, on down to either 225*-200* or Smoke... and then place your SD HD in your grill, drip pan, grill grates and a water pan in your smoker, then your meat and close the lid. Your grill will produce smoke from the pellets first and it may take 30 plus mins. until the wood in the SD HD starts to fire off and smolder... Keep an eye on the temp. For a regular bbq cook, set your desired temp to 250* degrees and then place only the SD HD in your grill over the burn pot and watch it until the wood starts to smoke from the SD HD. When you see the Wood just starting to smoke, drop your grills temp down to 200* degrees and then place the drip pan, grill grates and then your meat in the grill and close the lid. Once the wood chunks or sticks start to fire off, you’ll know by the smell of the smoke and the temp on your grill will start to rise... Your grills temp will read a bit higher due to the wood burning, but the lower the grills temp setting, like “Smoke” mode or 200* degrees, the longer the wood will burn and smoke for you. Also, adding a water pan will help keep you grills temps stable. Wood Prep.. Soak your wood first for at least 30 mins. but don’t put them in the heat diffuser wet... And don’t use wood chips. The larger and denser the wood pieces the better. You want the wood to light up and smolders, not light up and burn up... Just know, the wood will burn and the temp on your grill will rise. If it gets to hot, open the lid to help the heat to escape and then close the lid back. A water pan really helps in keeping the temps more stable. Using the SD HD is not a set it and forget it tool... You have to watch your grill. Keep an eye on everything and once You’ve done it a few times, you’ll know how to make the right adjustments for your cook.
Good luck

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I got the SmokeDaddy HD yesterday and did a test fit. The drip pan was too high to even get the grates on. Today I cut about half an inch off the bottom and re-installed it. The drip pan still sits on SD HD, but it is slopped and I can get the grates on without issue. I fired the Austin XL up, pre-heated it, and let it run for a little while at 250. Temps across the grate (left to right) and on the top grate (center) were all within a few degrees of each other and about 25 degrees below the set point. If nothing else, I like this thing as a defuser that evens out the temps. Previously, i had a 30 degree or so difference across the bottom grate and another 20 or so on the top grate. I will give it a whirl this weekend with some actual wood to see how it works.

I got the SmokeDaddy HD yesterday and did a test fit. The drip pan was too high to even get the grates on. Today I cut about half an inch off the bottom and re-installed it. The drip pan still sits on SD HD, but it is slopped and I can get the grates on without issue. I fired the Austin XL up, pre-heated it, and let it run for a little while at 250. Temps across the grate (left to right) and on the top grate (center) were all within a few degrees of each other and about 25 degrees below the set point. If nothing else, I like this thing as a defuser that evens out the temps. Previously, i had a 30 degree or so difference across the bottom grate and another 20 or so on the top grate. I will give it a whirl this weekend with some actual wood to see how it works.

StevenAg03, Sorry for the slow reply to your posting/question... So much going on at the moment... I have a question for You about the Original/stock diffuser that came with your PB Austin XL, do you have that installed along with the SD HD at the same time?? I’m asking because I didn’t need to cut or make any mods to my Austin XL, since I was replacing the stock diffuser for the SmokeDaddy Heat Diffuser and my grill grates fit in my grill just fine. The Flame Broiler main plate and slider does not have the same slope as before and the fit is snug now, but the grill grates fit in with no problems. I had to be creative and place the SD HD a little off center to the right covering the fire pot.. Maybe a few inches to the right and that was it, everything fits. I didn’t need to cut or modify the SD HD at all. Since the Stock diffuser really wasn’t a heat diffuser, but just allowed for direct grilling, the Flame Broiler main plate was really acting as the heat diffuser. If You were to use the SD Wood Burning HD without adding any wood to it, Your PB Austin XL would have rock solid temp control and more even heat distribution as you stated in your posting. Now, when You add wood to the SD HD, everything changes for obvious reasons... You’re burning wood now which will create more heat. I’ve found and it took a few cooks to figure it out is that you must burn/smoke the wood at the lowest temps possible, like from Smoke mode or 200*-225* degrees in order to produce good smoke and to have the wood burn longer. The higher the grills set temp is, the faster the wood will burn and your grills temps will soar out of control. Adding a nice size water pan and pre soaking the wood really helps with the wood burn and temp control. Burning wood sticks will burn longer and give you a more intense smoke flavor profile over using wood chunks.. Wood chunks will work also, but they won’t burn as long. Since this is going to be your first try at using the SD HD, I would keep an eye on your grill and your grills temps, cover your flame broiler with heavy duty aluminum foil and follow the info steps I posted previously for long smoke burns. Once You’ve done it a few times, it’s not that hard at all to control everything and the added wood flavor is really like having the best of both worlds. Pellets and true wood smoke flavor. Post back when you’re done with your first cook and let us know how everything worked out for you. Good luck...

StevenAg03, Sorry for the slow reply to your posting/question... So much going on at the moment... I have a question for You about the Original/stock diffuser that came with your PB Austin XL, do you have that installed along with the SD HD at the same time?? I’m asking because I didn’t need to cut or make any mods to my Austin XL, since I was replacing the stock diffuser for the SmokeDaddy Heat Diffuser and my grill grates fit in my grill just fine. The Flame Broiler main plate and slider does not have the same slope as before and the fit is snug now, but the grill grates fit in with no problems. I had to be creative and place the SD HD a little off center to the right covering the fire pot.. Maybe a few inches to the right and that was it, everything fits. I didn’t need to cut or modify the SD HD at all. Since the Stock diffuser really wasn’t a heat diffuser, but just allowed for direct grilling, the Flame Broiler main plate was really acting as the heat diffuser. If You were to use the SD Wood Burning HD without adding any wood to it, Your PB Austin XL would have rock solid temp control and more even heat distribution as you stated in your posting. Now, when You add wood to the SD HD, everything changes for obvious reasons... You’re burning wood now which will create more heat. I’ve found and it took a few cooks to figure it out is that you must burn/smoke the wood at the lowest temps possible, like from Smoke mode or 200*-225* degrees in order to produce good smoke and to have the wood burn longer. The higher the grills set temp is, the faster the wood will burn and your grills temps will soar out of control. Adding a nice size water pan and pre soaking the wood really helps with the wood burn and temp control. Burning wood sticks will burn longer and give you a more intense smoke flavor profile over using wood chunks.. Wood chunks will work also, but they won’t burn as long. Since this is going to be your first try at using the SD HD, I would keep an eye on your grill and your grills temps, cover your flame broiler with heavy duty aluminum foil and follow the info steps I posted previously for long smoke burns. Once You’ve done it a few times, it’s not that hard at all to control everything and the added wood flavor is really like having the best of both worlds. Pellets and true wood smoke flavor. Post back when you’re done with your first cook and let us know how everything worked out for you. Good luck...

I assume you are referring to the paper thin, flat piece of tin, no, it is not in the smoker. Basically, the only thing in the bottom of my smoker is the auger housing and SD HD. Not sure how long you have had your Austin XL and SD HD, but maybe some measurements have changed slightly. Before I cut it, the distance between the bottom edge of the SD HD and the perforated section was nearly an inch. I trimmed the sides back to the notch; maybe a hair more. All in all, I am happy with the temperature stability so additional wood flavor would be a bonus.

Will report back once I actually get to use it.

Reactions: RCAlan
I assume you are referring to the paper thin, flat piece of tin, no, it is not in the smoker. Basically, the only thing in the bottom of my smoker is the auger housing and SD HD. Not sure how long you have had your Austin XL and SD HD, but maybe some measurements have changed slightly. Before I cut it, the distance between the bottom edge of the SD HD and the perforated section was nearly an inch. I trimmed the sides back to the notch; maybe a hair more. All in all, I am happy with the temperature stability so additional wood flavor would be a bonus.

Will report back once I actually get to use it.

Yes I was... It is pretty thin, but it works out ok for those who want to grill at high temps. For better temp control and just burning pellets, the SD HD is great, but now you have the option of adding real wood to the mix which can take your bbq experience to a whole new level. On a side note, If anyone has the SD HD and wants to bbq a chicken or a turkey, they shouldn’t add wood to it.. Just burn the pellets like normal. The added wood smoke is that intense. I was thinking for anyone considering getting the SD HD, that they should reach out to SmokeDaddyinc.com by phone and tell them their grills brand and size... I’m sure they can trim the base of the heat diffuser to fit any grill. I figured with my size grill, I wouldn’t have a problem, but the fit is tight. SmokeDaddy should perhaps trim about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the base of the diffuser to get a better fit. Good luck on your cook tomorrow.

PB Austin XL in SoCal in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Yes I was... It is pretty thin, but it works out ok for those who want to grill at high temps. For better temp control and just burning pellets, the SD HD is great, but now you have the option of adding real wood to the mix which can take your bbq experience to a whole new level. On a side note, If anyone has the SD HD and wants to bbq a chicken or a turkey, they shouldn’t add wood to it.. Just burn the pellets like normal. The added wood smoke is that intense. I was thinking for anyone considering getting the SD HD, that they should reach out to SmokeDaddyinc.com by phone and tell them their grills brand and size... I’m sure they can trim the base of the heat diffuser to fit any grill. I figured with my size grill, I wouldn’t have a problem, but the fit is tight. SmokeDaddy should perhaps trim about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the base of the diffuser to get a better fit. Good luck on your cook tomorrow.

PB Austin XL in SoCal in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Cooked a 2.5 lb chuck roast last night/this morning and it turned out pretty good with a healthy hickory flavor. That being said, I made the mistake of changing too many variables in my ‘normal’ routine. Things different:

- SD HD with hickory splits
- New Big Moe Cason Beef Rub
- Chuck roast (never smoked one before)
- Water pan
- Meat on second shelf instead of first
- Stable temps 200-220 vs swings of 220-275

Another thing that could have contributed to the smoke flavor is that I included two smoke tubes with 100% hickory Cookin Pellets; though I have always done this. I am going to cook another one next weekend identical, but without the hickory splits in the HD SD. This way, I should be able to tell if it is worth the effort to add the wood to the SD HD. In all honesty, it is kind of a chore to load it all up since I had to load all the pieces after the pit was up to temp.

I was surprised at how long it took to finish the small chuck roast. I put it on at about 9:30 last night and took it off 11:30 this morning; 14 hours in the smoker for a 2.5lb piece of meat. I seemingly had multiple stalls which I am unsure if they are normal with a chuck roast or not. I finally wrapped the thing at 180 and it quickly finished to 207-ish in an hour or so.

I will re-iterate that I am happy with the SD HD given the stability in temps that it provides.

I'm happy with this product so far on my Rec Tec Stampede as well, however I use it differently than you.

I use dry wood, chunks or logs, and set my temp at 225* and leave it there. I do not start out at a higher temp in an attempt to ignite the wood, and then drop the temp back down, as I have tried this method and the temps got out of control with flames coming from ether side beneath the drip pan.

Starting at 225 and just letting it ride, ignites the wood in due time and gives me a thin blue smoke after 10- 15 mins of holding at 225 before putting my food on. Highest temps I'm seeing over a 5hr rib cook are 230*, and even then for only about 5-10 minutes before a return to 225*.

So to summarize, First , I load the Heavy D up with square logs or chunks. Dry wood. I don't bother to soak it. I don't bother with a water pan.

Place the wood loaded HD back into the grill, put the foiled drip pan and grates back in.

Set my temp to 225*, let it come to temp, I'm using Cookinpellets Perfect mix, and proceed with placing food on the grates or in racks just as I normally would.

I feel that 225* allows the wood to ignite gradually and more controlled, at least in my grill, than other methods. This gives me a thin blue smoke of about 3hrs, and in my case as I can check in on my temps from the app if I feel the need to. But so far, after just 3 cooks using it this way, I've gotten good results and without any wild temp spurts. And yes, the results I've gotten are indistinguishable from my prior stick burner to my taste.

YMMV. But I do think that one of the biggest tricks to using this thing with wood in it, has already been pointed out. Forget the instructions about starting out at high heat in an attempt to ignite the wood and then backing off.

Keeping the temps at 225 or less seems to get the best results. At least for me.

Last edited:
I'm happy with this product so far on my Rec Tec Stampede as well, however I use it differently than you.

I use dry wood, chunks or logs, and set my temp at 225* and leave it there. I do not start out at a higher temp in an attempt to ignite the wood, and then drop the temp back down, as I have tried this method and the temps got out of control with flames coming from ether side beneath the drip pan.

Starting at 225 and just letting it ride, ignites the wood in due time and gives me a thin blue smoke after 10- 15 mins of holding at 225 before putting my food on. Highest temps I'm seeing over a 5hr rib cook are 230*, and even then for only about 5-10 minutes before a return to 225*.

So to summarize, First , I load the Heavy D up with square logs or chunks. Dry wood. I don't bother to soak it. I don't bother with a water pan.

Place the wood loaded HD back into the grill, put the foiled drip pan and grates back in.

Set my temp to 225*, let it come to temp, I'm using Cookinpellets Perfect mix, and proceed with placing food on the grates or in racks just as I normally would.

I feel that 225* allows the wood to ignite gradually and more controlled, at least in my grill, than other methods. This gives me a thin blue smoke of about 3hrs, and in my case as I can check in on my temps from the app if I feel the need to. But so far, after just 3 cooks using it this way, I've gotten good results and without any wild temp spurts. And yes, the results I've gotten are indistinguishable from my prior stick burner to my taste.

YMMV. But I do think that one of the biggest tricks to using this thing with wood in it, has already been pointed out. Forget the instructions about starting out at high heat in an attempt to ignite the wood and then backing off.

Keeping the temps at 225 or less seems to get the best results. At least for me.

That’s great that You’re having good success with your SD HD Stick Burning Heat Diffuser.. I’m not sure if You’ve read all My postings in this thread, but I never said to set the grills temp on high to ignite the wood... I said it’s best to start from the lowest temps possible, like Smoke Mode or 200*-225* degrees. I also said that You don’t have to presoak your wood, that would be up to the End User to decide. Each Brand of Pellet Grill is different and with mine, I get better Temp control using a water pan. Is it necessary for all pellet grills to use a water pan? No, but for added temp control, a water pan is very handy and helpful. Not only with temp control, but a water pan also helps to tenderize tough cuts of meat also. Just to not confuse the readers, I think we’re on the same page... And everyone operates their Pellet Grills and cook on their pellet grills a little different, which can be a good thing.

Re reading my post, it would appear that I was referring to a comment that you had made, especially seeing as how I quoted your post. That was my error.

I apologize for any confusion which may have taken root on my part.

It's actually Smoke Daddy themselves who recommend turning things up to high to ignite the wood. I was merely pointing out that at least in my own case, this has been not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.

Again, my apologies if it appeared that I was attaching the "start out at high heat" position to you, as it clearly was not your position.

Furthermore, regarding soaking the wood and the water pan, again we are in agreement that grills are of course different and people cook differently. My only intent was to point out that my method has thus far worked well , and that those who are willing to try it, might get similar results while eliminating a step here or there.

While I did not read every post in this thread, I did read a couple which centered around additional steps described in using this particular item and pointing at those steps as being a drawback to the item itself. I think that the word "tedious" was used in one post, and "monkeying" was used in the other. Again, these were not your posts, but the comments of others, and comments which I was addressing in my above post and which I'm addressing now.

I was merely, in my post, attempting to reiterate that this item can, in fact, be very simple to use, without any "tedium nor monkeying" and that personally I have had it yield great results in my particular case, with just ONE additional step beyond what I would normally do for a cook, that step being loading the item with wood.

Not saying that will work for everybody, just that it has worked for me.

I hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNTODD
I have now done another two cooks, since the above first post, referring to my Friday cook and two previous cooks using the Heavy D.

I cooked again on Saturday evening, ribs again, and Sunday, burgers. Each using the Heavy D diffuser in my RecTec Stampede. What I describe in this post, is what I have found, and the description is going to be specific to my particular Stampede.

I believe that the other poster, RCAlan is describing his experiences with the Pitt Boss Austin XL.

Anyway, the Saturday cook, one rack of St Louis cut ribs as an experiment. Just under a 5hr cook at 225 degrees.

Using Kingsford Hickory chunks from Home Depot on one side of the diffuser, and DSS Type Smoker Wood Chunks Competition Grade Pecan Jumbo Grilling Sticks 2"x2"x5" on the other side of the diffuser. These splits are too short and too narrow to fill the entire chambers of the Heavy D. Those are said to be 3.5x3.5 wide according to the video introducing it. And the wood chambers are longer than 5 inches in length. So my sticks were both narrow and short.

So I split another of the 2"x2"x5" sticks with a hatchet, so as to fill the baffle chamber on the one side, thus using one and a half of the sticks, and topped off that chamber with a couple of the hickory chunks. This resulted in a tight fit, but I could still get the covering pieces of the Heavy D over the ends of the wood chambers on both sides.

Chunks on one side, the DSS Type Smoker Wood sticks on the other topped off with a couple of chunks of the hickory. This pretty much filled both chambers with all four end covers in place. Dry wood. So I'm using Pecan and Hickory, and the pellets in the hopper are CookinPellets Perfect mix.

Put the Heavy D diffuser in place, the drip pan and the grates. Set the Stampede to 225* and let it come up to temp.

Of note is that my Stampede's temp accuracy has been previously adjusted and matched up against my Thermoworks Smoke, which is accurate to plus or minus 1.8 degrees up to 248 degrees. In short, I can trust the temp readings that my Stampede is giving me.

I put the ribs on inside of 10 minutes of hitting the 225 degree mark. Thin, blue smoke was evident, as it has always been for each time that I have used the Heavy D. But I cannot attribute all of the blue smoke to the wood in the Heavy D because I've noticed that the Perfect Mix pellets themselves give off blue smoke when they are first lit and for awhile afterwards especially at lower temperatures.

So some of the TBS was due to the pellets themselves, some due to the wood that I had loaded into the Heavy D.

During this nearly 5 hr cook, the rack of ribs in a Raichlen vertical rack, these came out perfect and with a smoke flavor reminiscent of, if not identical to what I have gotten off of a prior stick burner.

I never saw the temps get beyond 231 degrees, which with the PID controller on the RecTec, is a good deal of variation from what I have seen in the past. Usually I see no more than 1-2 degrees variation over the same length cook unless I open the lid.

I have no idea of, and no way of telling the actual time during the cook at which the wood in the Heavy D ignited or started giving off it's own smoke, or provided the bulk of the thin blue smoke that I see when using it. However for this cook, I stopped seeing blue smoke at a little over 3hrs into the cook, same as the other times I have tried the Heavy D for smoking.

This brings me to another point. I had no need of a water pan to help control temps. Perhaps the PID controller made a difference in this regard. I'm also glad that I don't have to use a water pan, in that this would take up room on the cooking grates and add another step in the process.

So in summary, these are my experiences with the Heavy D in my RecTec Stampede. It is extremely easy to use in my Stampede and gives me good result. YMMV.

I have now done multiple rib cooks with it and feel comfortable enough to do an overnight brisket cook with it which I plan for the upcoming weekend. Personally I'm confident that my temps won't get out of hand if I use it in the manner in which I am using it. But again, your results, comfort level, and situation may be dramatically different.

Now for the downside that I saw. That cook was Saturday. Did burgers Sunday. Cleaned the Stampede. Emptied the ashes from the Heavy D and put it back in place. This time empty as I would be doing the burgers at 425* and don't want wood igniting at such temps.

It took my Stampede longer than it usually does to get up to 425*. This in nearly 60* weather, which isn't that cold.

Because the Heavy D is fabricated from a much thicker gauge steel than is the stock RecTec diffuser, I suspect heating this additional mass was the reason.

So my observations, using my Stampede, are that the Heavy D is a great tool for low and slow smoking. However for grilling, having done wings, burgers, etc. using the stock and thinner lighter gauge steel diffuser in my Stampede, I don't see it as offering me an advantage over my stock diffuser, and it is likely even a disadvantage. At least in cooler weather.

Those are my experiences. You may have different ones using your particular equipment.

Last edited:
A little bit of an update and the results of another effort with the Heavy D done this morning.
5.75lb brisket started at 9:30AM. Loaded both sides of the Heavy D with precut pecan blocks and hickory chunks and fired up the RecTec Stampede with the Thermoworks Smoke providing a pit probe to measure against the RecTec pit probe for demonstration purposes for this post, plus another meat probe to go with the two on the Stampede.

I loaded the Heavy D to the brim. Very little area inside of it had no wood. Very few voids.

Fired up the Stampede to 225*. This temp held steady throughout. The grill's pit temps never hitting above 230* according to both the RecTec's pit probe and the Thermoworks Smoke.

The following pic was taken a few hrs into the cook, note the meat temperatures which indicate that this cook has been going on for a few hours, and indicates that the Smoke's highest pit temp reached, 230* it's probe right alongside the RecTec pit probe.

I never saw above 227* again.

IMG_9563.JPG

This brisket was wrapped in foil and beef broth after the bark set, and then run for another few hrs until an internal temp of 205* was hit at all three probes.

The cook ended at 6:20PM with the brisket being tender to probing at multiple points.

This is the interesting part. At the end of the cook, I removed the still hot grates and drip pan, disassembled the Heavy D to find still smoldering pieces of wood inside of it.

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_4310 copy.JPG

I had noticed blue smoke for the better part of 4hrs during this cook before I stopped seeing it. But I was indeed surprised to find still smoldering pieces of wood inside the Heavy D some nearly 9hrs after the start of the cook.

The brisket came out as well as any I've done. I'm very happy with it. Just enough smoke, tender with good pull and great taste.

I'm convinced that the PID controller in my grill and starting out at 225 and keeping the temps there, likely played a role in my temps remaining stable with no water pans, no propping open the lid, etc. What I'm really impressed with is the length of time that I got blue smoke, and the fact that I still had wood burning in the Heavy D on into the cook.

The following pic shows the Heavy D emptied at the end of the cook and the remaining embers. I was using pliers and vice grips to lift it out of the hot grill so that these pics could be taken. The pic also shows the size wood splits and chunks I was using for this cook. These new pieces of wood and others will be used to fill it up again for the next cook.

IMG_7743 copy.JPG

Blocks as opposed to chunks definitely make a difference. In my prior rib cooks with the Heavy D, I was using primarily chunks. At the end of those 5hr cooks, I saw mostly ashes in the Heavy D where the chunks had been used.

These blocks seem to make a difference. First time I used them was in my prior cook.

I'll be using this device for both my shorter rib cooks and my longer brisket and pulled pork cooks as opposed to my smoke tubes. I think that it gives a cleaner smoke and offers the advantage of not taking up grill space.
IMG_1123.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG
IMG_9667 copy.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RCAlan
A few pics to show how I fill the Heavy D.

IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_9816.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG

The blocks are at the bottom. I topped it off with chunks of the right size that would top it off with minimal voids, using my hatchet to split or shave the chunks as necessary for a tight fit.

That's a good amount of wood, and I'm confident with it providing enough supplemental smoke for my cooks. The cut logs are pecan, the chunks are Kingsford hickory.

It's now loaded and ready for the next smoke. If I'm just grilling, burgers, wings, steaks at higher temperatures, well then I'll go with my stock diffuser and perhaps one of my smoke tubes.

But if I'm smoking low and slow, this will be my go to device for supplemental smoke. It's definitely a good tool to have in your arsenal for low and slow smoking if you're looking for more smoke and more of a stick burner type flavor from your cooks in your pellet grill.

As an aside, the inner dimensions of the wood chambers on the Heavy D, as per my measurements today are 9in long x 3.5in x 3.5in.

Next wood splits I buy will be cut to these dimensions to minimize the jigsaw puzzle approach I have to take using the chunks and the smaller wood splits.

Dense blocks of hardwood, cut to the right dimensions would eliminate the need for the hatchet and would burn longer.

I feel it appropriate at this point to add to this post, and it applies to my other posts with regard to this product or any other products that I have discussed in prior postings, that I am not a sales person for any bbq company or bbq products of any type, nor do I market products for anyone. My writings are of my personal experiences only.

Last edited:
A few pics to show how I fill the Heavy D.

Hey SlowmotionQue - Rec Tec Bull owner here....I just ordered the Heavy D and should be here today. How are you getting those blocks? Are those just ones that came in your bag of clunks or getting from somewhere else? Thank you for all your explanation, details and pics.

Ken

Hey SlowmotionQue - Rec Tec Bull owner here....I just ordered the Heavy D and should be here today. How are you getting those blocks? Are those just ones that came in your bag of clunks or getting from somewhere else? Thank you for all your explanation, details and pics.

Ken

Ordered the blocks off eBay.

They are a tad short. I think that I may have put the dimensions in one of the write ups that will allow you to just about fill the Heavy D with one log on each side.

I’m going to get around to testing it by filling it and running it full of wood and on Xtreme Smoke which is around 180* before taking it up to 225*

I hope to do that this weekend.

Well, I think that I have used this device enough times, and on enough cooks, and with enough starting temperature variations and under enough climate conditions to offer my own opinion on it. At least an opinion on how it has worked, "overall" on my own Rec Tec Stampede.

My opinion is that this device causes variations in set temperature in my Rec Tec Stampede which are unacceptable to me. I cannot give it an overall grade of more than a "C", and for me, that's not good enough.

Furthermore, propping the lid open in order to stabilize temperatures, is an unacceptable compromise to me.

Finally, I discovered today, in 80 degree weather, that even going so far as to completely opening the lid in my Stampede, forget about propping it open with a wood chunk, that even this was not enough to bring the temps back to anywhere close to set temperature unless several minutes were allowed to elapse. Upon which they tended to skyrocket again once the lid was closed.

Bottom line. Had this been an overnight cook, I would have experience temps nearly 200* higher, possibly more, than set temps after the wood ignited.

Even starting it at a temp of 180*, on Xtreme Smoke, once temps were increased and the wood ultimately went into flames, there was no controlling the temps to anywhere near what they were set. The PID controller, didn't stand a chance against active flames. This, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of the PID controller altogether. It can allow for air and pellets. But it can't allow for wood that is burning at it's own pace.

I lifted open the lid on more than one occasion to see flames beneath my drip pan and licking along the sides of the pan. I was more or less "grilling" these ribs as opposed to smoking them at one point the temps approaching 400*. after being set on 215.

Anyway, a few pics:

Things started out mildly enough. I bought some Kingsford split hickory logs and cut them to size to fit the Heavy D, not much unlike how I've done in cooks using the device prior.

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Then put the Heavy D in place and started out on Xtreme Smoke in the Rec Tec Stampede. Right away the temps went from 180 up to 215*. And so I decided to set the temps at 225* and let it ride.

IMG_1841.jpg

The temps continued to climb. Despite all efforts. Soon 225* had been exceeded and a forward push to 255 was underway.

I had been running my Kamado Joe with the Joetisserie for a rotisserie chicken alongside my Stampede and using some of the hickory chunks in it as well.

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

By the time this chicken was done and I had cut it up, the temps in the Rec Tec Stampede with the Heavy D had gone off the chain, on into the 300* range from a 225* set point. I propped open the lid, but really all this does is allow more air to get to the lit firewood more so than it lets heat out.

About 3hrs in, I had seen enough. With the flames, my concern at this point was possible ignition of the pellets in the hopper.

I removed the Joetisserie from my Kamado Joe and placed in it's grates. Removed the ribs from the Stampede foiled and finished them on the Kamado Joe.

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_9654.JPG

Final Impressions:

Well, the ribs turned out great. But that is more testament to my own experience and immediate recognition that things were getting out of control temperature wise, and none of my efforts were reigning them in.

I have enough cooks under my belt with this device to form my own opinion on this device and it's reliable usefulness in my Rec Tec Stampede.

I have concluded after multiple cooks, some with minimal if any temperature influence, others with significant temperature influence, that for myself, it is too unpredictable in it's influence on temperature to allow me to fully trust it.

Your opinion may vary.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReefJones
Ordered the blocks off eBay.

They are a tad short. I think that I may have put the dimensions in one of the write ups that will allow you to just about fill the Heavy D with one log on each side.

I’m going to get around to testing it by filling it and running it full of wood and on Xtreme Smoke which is around 180* before taking it up to 225*

I hope to do that this weekend.
Thanks, I'm going to look into those. Do you think those mini logs are better than using multiple chunks? I can get chunks from big box stores near me.

So about your ribs....the first time I tried the heavy D I had at 180 for awhile to keep the temp down because it spiked but when I got home, I saw no smoke coming out of the smoke stack but saw some smoke coming from the hopper. Since the fan goes off and on when on Xtreme smoke, that isn't good(in my opinion) for the heavy D. So I won't recommend Xtreme smoke when using the heavy D. Most I've heard just set at 225 and let it ride.

My second cook was just turkey burgers and I put a few(didn't fill it up) hickory chunks in the heavy D. I did soak them for maybe 15 minutes(not long) and set at 225. The highest the temp got was 236 which isn't bad at all and the PID did correct over time back to 225. Opening the lid won't work with a PID because then it will go up because of that. NOt sure if you have noticed but if I leave my lip open for awhile(for whatever reason), the PID will shoot the temp above the set-point but go back down. I believe(even if cracked), this is probably what happened with you.

Most I've talked to don't soak their wood in water and said it has been fine. I am not sure how I feel with only 2 cooks with the Heavy D under my belt. I don't see any harm in soaking water for a bit. To me, I am ok with the temp spiking 10 to 15 degrees temporarily.

I'll be doing ribs for the 4th of July but hope to do a test run before that with the heavy D. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, I'm going to look into those. Do you think those mini logs are better than using multiple chunks? I can get chunks from big box stores near me.

No. They aren't. See my last post. If you are going to use the Smokedaddy Heavy D and want to use "logs", well then a bag of those Kingsford logs, a measure to about 8 inches, a bucksaw and hatchet will get you the size splits you want.

You can also use the chunks. But it's more of a jigsaw puzzle type effect to fill the chambers with those chunks leaving as few voids as you can.

So about your ribs....the first time I tried the heavy D I had at 180 for awhile to keep the temp down because it spiked but when I got home, I saw no smoke coming out of the smoke stack but saw some smoke coming from the hopper.

That's not good.

Since the fan goes off and on when on Xtreme smoke, that isn't good(in my opinion) for the heavy D.

I agree.

So I won't recommend Xtreme smoke when using the heavy D. Most I've heard just set at 225 and let it ride.

You'll also hear some say fire it up to a temp higher than that in an effort to ignite the wood, and then back off the temps.

I did not have good results going about it this way.

My second cook was just turkey burgers and I put a few(didn't fill it up) hickory chunks in the heavy D. I did soak them for maybe 15 minutes(not long) and set at 225. The highest the temp got was 236 which isn't bad at all and the PID did correct over time back to 225. Opening the lid won't work with a PID because then it will go up because of that. NOt sure if you have noticed but if I leave my lip open for awhile(for whatever reason), the PID will shoot the temp above the set-point but go back down. I believe(even if cracked), this is probably what happened with you.

The bottom line for me is this.

I bought a Rec Tec with the PID controller for consistency. I feel that consistency will give me repeatable result. In my cooks, the biggest problem I had with my other cookers was temperature consistency. I could repeat recipes, repeat ingredients, repeat measurements, but I couldn't repeat temperatures. Could not make them consistent.

It was the only variable. And so for me, and again I emphasize "for me", to "reintroduce it" after spending the money, doing the research, and making the effort to flat out eliminate it, makes no sense.

In my mind, and I have done over a dozen cooks with the Heavy D, and so I am satisfied that personally I have seen enough, this item simply does not offer me what I want in the way of "consistency".

And that's the whole reason why I bought a pellet grill with a PID controller in it in the first place.

I've had good cooks with it in terms of temperature consistency, and I've had cooks where the temps were difficult to reign in.

I have thus far, been unable to tell which methods, starting methods or otherwise, will result in a "good" situation by which my temps will remain stable.

For this reason, my inability to "predict" just what will give me a consistent temperature with this device, I have elected to retire it from my arsenal.

I may use it as a back up to my stock Rec Tec diffuser. But it will not be loaded with wood. In my mind, this was a good idea, but for me, and I emphasize the "for me" in that statement, it simply doesn't work predictably enough for me to rely on it.

For the money I paid, I shouldn't have to prop a rock or a block of wood over my grill's lid or door, in order to make it behave as it should.

And so to me, and again just me, this device defeats the purpose of owning a dead on solid temperature holding pellet grill.

Most I've talked to don't soak their wood in water and said it has been fine. I am not sure how I feel with only 2 cooks with the Heavy D under my belt. I don't see any harm in soaking water for a bit. To me, I am ok with the temp spiking 10 to 15 degrees temporarily.

Well I have around a dozen cooks with it. Soaking your wood I'm asking myself, why that would be a good idea, and I'm struggling with an answer.

Eventually, over a long cook, that wood is going to dry out, and ignite. And when it does, the PID controller is going to struggle to maintain set temp.

I'll be doing ribs for the 4th of July but hope to do a test run before that with the heavy D. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck kstone113

Moral of the story, buy a badass grill and run as its engineers have designed it.
Unless you're adding a PID to an average traeger.:emoji_laughing:

Yes, I believe that you’re right.

At the end of the day, my belief is that this device can and has altered the normal function of my particular grill to the point that the PID algorithm may or may not be able to adequately maintain stable temperatures.

It is, after all, dealing with a source of combustion, those wood logs, which are not under it’s control.

So it’s back to Xtreme Smoke. Or my smoke tube. Or possibly both. I’ve had no temperature weirdness with my smoke tube as I’m careful to keep it away from the temp probe.

Last edited:
Perhaps guys....I see it the other way. This device adds some real wood flavor(which to me, has a different taste - thus far - with my smoking thus far). The temp spikes thus far haven't been anything more than when I leave the door open for an extended period of time so I'm ok with that and the PID auto-correcting itself over time. To me, that's what the PID should do and does. So while I only have a few cook under my belt with the heavy D, I've happy. I have learned though that keeping the Heavy D in will not allow my Bull to get to max temps. I used t be able to get to 600 and with the Heavy D in, I could only get to 536. So from now on when just grilling and not using any extra wood, I will just take the heavy D out and save it for long smoke cooks like Ribs and brisket and such. I may try it with wood sometime with high temps but not sure if that is a great idea because it will most definitely start a fire.

SlowmotionQue - best of luck to you. You have the right grill if you want consistency....anytime you do an add-on like the Heavy D, you have to expect things to not work as designed but the whole prop open the door trick would never work for a Rec Tec because of the PID controller would just make it work hard and raise the temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky