Has anyone used B&B Hickory Lump from Walmart?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I was surprised to see WM already had their BBQ stuff in stock in January, so I took a look and they had B&B Hickory Lump ($15/20lbs), so I grabbed a bag (an impulse buy, I know, but I'm new to this and got all excited).

So I go home and start searching for reviews (buying something of which you know nothing about without researching first is bad, I know, but, like I said, it was an impulse buy)...

About half the reviews I'm finding are pretty positive and the other half are VERY negative...has anyone here used it? I know $15 is not much to some, but I don't want to light a match to money when I can return it now and get something else, KWIM?

Thanks!

The only lump that i have ever bought that I wouldn't buy again is Cowboy.
It's like putting fireworks in your smoker.
Al

Reactions: SonnyE
The only lump that i have ever bought that I wouldn't buy again is Cowboy.
It's like putting fireworks in your smoker.
Al

LOL!
That'd be some snap! Crackle! and Pop! charcoal, I guess.

I bought a bag of Hickory pellets from Walmart a while back that I've been happy with. But no lump charcoal.

It is hard sometimes to sort through reviews. I feel that many negative ones are from folks that have vinegar in their veins. And there is no real way to determine if a particular reviewer actually bought and used the item being reviewed. Or if they are a shill posting a ding to a product they are in competition with. :mad:
Like you, most of us don't have money to burn. But some brands may be a softer charcoal that burns up faster.

That said, I have a certain expectation of things I buy at Walmart. And for example, I wouldn't expect their meat to be on the same scale as a local butcher shop I go to for some of my meats. So it's a "Buyer Beware" situation.
But for most branded stuff, what Walmart sells is the same as anywhere else quality wise.
For example, Kingsford charcoal at WallyWorld is probably the same as at the local market chain. But may be less expensive due to Walmart's volume buying capability.
You could use what you bought, then never buy it again if you don't like it. Or, you could return it and never have formed your own experience.
But, if you do like it, you might have a source for a new favorite Lump Charcoal you could grab during a shopping stop.

Reactions: halleone
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky