Has anyone tried this with brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I was watching the latest video from Mad Scientist BBQ, and he was trying a "secret" of throwing fat on the fire of his brisket smoke.

1. Has anybody tried this?
2. What were the results?

Link is as follows:

Reactions: bauchjw
I know the flavor well on burgers. I don’t care for it. In fact gives me heartburn. I prefer a clean fire. Burning fat is a soot fire, mildly.
on a brisket, maybe, but would just bring that burger smell and taste. I still just prefer clean thin blue smoke. Those are my thoughts.

I know the flavor well on burgers. I don’t care for it. In fact gives me heartburn. I prefer a clean fire. Burning fat is a soot fire, mildly.
on a brisket, maybe, but would just bring that burger smell and taste. I still just prefer clean thin blue smoke. Those are my thoughts.
Im thinking the same thing. I was just curious.

Im thinking the same thing. I was just curious.
I think also that when people cook bbq all day every day and/or eat it the same, they start searching for flavor because their palate is used to certain flavors every day. Stronger smoke, different smoke, stronger spice etc… just anything to stand out to those who eat smoked meat everyday.
I eat a lot of New Mexican food, so while I smoke almost every day, I eat soups, salsa, Chile, citrus and keep things mixed up, so my preference is still just clean thin smoke.

I think also that when people cook bbq all day every day and/or eat it the same, they start searching for flavor because their palate is used to certain flavors every day. Stronger smoke, different smoke, stronger spice etc… just anything to stand out to those who eat smoked meat everyday.
I eat a lot of New Mexican food, so while I smoke almost every day, I eat soups, salsa, Chile, citrus and keep things mixed up, so my preference is still just clean thin smoke.
That is a very keen observation.

Haven't tried it yet. Not very interested either. I follow Jeremy and watched all his videos. This "secret" I'll leave alone. I think it'll create dirty sooty smoke.

I can see having some fat on the grate above the brisket basting it, but I'll pass on chucking fat into the fire.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky