1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Has anybody made a cheese press

Discussion in 'Cheese Making' started by blackwrx04, Apr 9, 2019.

1. blackwrx04

blackwrx04 Newbie

My wife really wants me to make one, but looking around there are so many. I thought I would ask on here because all the good advice I get on smoking meats. So please help a guy out and give me some ideas if you dont mind

2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

I have not; but I am curious about this as well. I've been eyeballing making cheese now.

3. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

4. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sure have. Are you looking to make a spring press or a lever style?

5. blackwrx04

blackwrx04 Newbie

A spring press.

6. Holly2015

As for the press it is homemade (see 17th picture down from the top):

2 - 3/8" x 2" carriage bolts
    2 - 3/8 x 10" pcs of 3/8 all thread rod
    2 - 3/8" rod couplings
    2 - 3/8" wing nuts
    4 - 3/8" hex nuts
    10 - 3/8" fender washers
    1 - 1" x 3" x 24" oak board
    1 - small wood screw
    1 - cutting board at least a 1/2" thick
    2 - springs (this is the hard part to figure out)
    1 - 1/2" 1/8" x 6" piece of aluminium bars stock (this is the weight gauge)
    1 - cheese mold. Originally I was using a piece of 4" stainless sanitary tubing but broke down and bought a real cheese mold for something like $14. It was worth the investment

To figure out what springs I needed and to make the scale (alum piece) I did a mock up on my work bench and used a digital bathroom scale to set the values. When I reached 10lbs of pressure I marked the aluminium where it intersected the wood then the same with 40 and 50lbs. When I get home I'll take a clearer pic of the press it'll make it more obvious.

While spring presses are good I am going to make a simplified Dutch press as they are more consistent. They use a weighted lever/fulcrum design so even as the cheese compresses 40 lbs is alway 40/lbs. With a spring press as the cheese compresses the springs relax and the pressure reduces. To combat this need to periodically check and retention the press to keep the cheese properly weighted. Don't get me wrong a spring press produces really good results and takes up less space.

CP1.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP3.jpg

crazymoon likes this.
  7. blackwrx04

blackwrx04 Newbie

Thank you so much now I can build one. Another project going to get done

8. Holly2015

You are welcome. If you hit any snags let me know and i'll do my best to help out.

9. canuhover

canuhover Newbie

I built a hydraulic one that works great but if your interested in a wood one here you go. You can download the pdf from sturdypress.com

Attached Files:

10. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Could you cap off a sausage stuffer and press with that?

11. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

FT, I'm not sure if you would get the pressed cheese out of the stuffer as it isn't open ended like a cheese mold.

12. Holly2015

No and for 2 reasons:

1. As Crazymoon stated you never get the cheese out in 1 piece.
    2. The reason for pressing cheese is squeeze out moisture at a certain rate. That is when cheese molds are perforated.

There is no better press than a Dutch style for consistency. Hanging a weight on a lever and letting gravity do its thing produces repeatable reliable results.

forktender likes this.