Harissa shrimp on the Blackstone griddle (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Our glass top stove is currently a needs a glasstop stove lol. Based on that it was griddle time. I had some zucchini and yellow squash from the garden so first up I cut them up along with a red onion and tossed in olive oil. Simple seasoning of salt, pepper , cumin and a touch of cinnamon to stick with the Morrocan spice theme of the night. Next up was some yellow and orange bell peppers with green onion. Got those nice and caramelized, moved to the side and added the shrimp. After the shrimp was nice and browned I tossed them in the harissa sauce on the griddle and then mixed the peppers and onions in. Last up was our version of pasta which tonight was palmini linguini. It is a linguini made of hearts of palm. Griddled it and tossed with olive oil and a little parmesan. Served it up with a fresh caprese salad with my home grown basil. The harissa shrimp was served on the palmini. This is a keeper and next time I will make the harissa sauce homemade.

Set up outside , food all prepped and ready to roll.

set up outside.jpg

A little avocado oil on the hot griddle and first up I did the red onion and moved it to the side. Added the squash and got them rolling. Squirted with a little water under a dome to speed things up

veggies cooking.jpg

veggies done.jpg

Next up was the sweet yellow and orange bell peppers, after the softened up some I added 1 bunch of cut up green onion greens and all.
adding green onion.jpg

Once they were nice and caramelized time to add the shrimp. Just a little salt, pepper and garlic powder on them as the harissa will bring the flavor.
shrimp starting.jpg

Shrimp with a nice sear on the outside so now adding the harissa to toss in the shrimp and cook further.
adding harissa to shrimp.jpg

Here is the finished shrimp tossed together with the peppers and green onion.

shrimp and peppers closeup 2.jpg

Last time to get the palmini linguini ready. We usually just boil this a bit but I decided to go all in on the griddle. Tossed it on and mixed in a little olive oil. Stirred it around a bit to heat and brown a tiny bit and then stirred in some parmesan and a little oregano and garlic. Below is the start and finish.
palmini on griddle.jpg

finished palmini.jpg

Here is the salad ready to eat
salad 2.jpg

Here is the plated shot of the harissa shrimp served on the palmini with the veggie side.
plated 2.jpg

close up shrimp on plate.jpg

Well that's it folks. Thanks for looking. I think its time for me to grab a plate now. My nibbling while cooking usually gets me through serving the wife the meal and typing up my post.

Pretty spectacular! You pics are stunning and really shows the food. The Harissa, bought or homemade?
I make a kid friendly Mild Harissa but you can substitute in any Hot Chile you like...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Looks fabulous!
Have never had Harissa ... looked it up and looks really interesting.
so you said ‘harissa sauce’ but I seem to see it (mainly? only?) Comes in paste form. Is that what you added? Something to convert to sauce consistency?

Wow Jeff. Another spectacular meal that's beautifully presented with magazine quality pictures. Just spectacular my friend!! With you cooking like that on the griddle, you ought to just toss the stove and build the griddle into the kitchen in it's place :emoji_wink:

Amazing!!
Robert

Wow stunning looking meal Jeff! Everything looks really good especially those shrimp.

I recently bought soba noodles to throw on the griddle for a little Blackstone hibachi. I always preferred and ordered noodles instead of rice.

WOW!! Such a beautiful presentation. My son has been saying for months now that we should purchase a griddle. Now I am leaning that way. Thank you for sharing.

Pretty spectacular! You pics are stunning and really shows the food. The Harissa, bought or homemade?
I make a kid friendly Mild Harissa but you can substitute in any Hot Chile you like...JJ
Thanks JJ , this time the harissa was Mina Spicy Harissa. Kroger has a few jars on clearance and it sounded good. It’s a sauce not a paste and only had 6 ingredients. Love to try your recipe as I’ll make it next time for sure

Looks fabulous!
so you said ‘harissa sauce’ but I seem to see it (mainly? only?) Comes in paste form. Is that what you added? Something to convert to sauce consistency?
This was a sauce not the paste. Google Mina Spicy Harissa.

jcam, the shrimps and the dish look absolutely fantastic!! Absolutely beautiful... I wish I had Blackstone griddle....
Very nice
Looks good jcam
Looks delicious Jeff. Salad looks bomb and pretty at the same time. I'd tear that meal up
That looks incredible jcam. Awesome job! I'm with Jake on this one.

Dave
A beautiful piece of work, your attention to detail really shines through, Like! RAY
I'd just about bust up my stove for a plate of that!
Looks fabulous!
Wow Jeff. Another spectacular meal that's beautifully presented with magazine quality pictures. Just spectacular my friend!! With you cooking like that on the griddle, you ought to just toss the stove and build the griddle into the kitchen in it's place :emoji_wink:

Amazing!!
Robert
Wow stunning looking meal Jeff! Everything looks really good especially those shrimp.

I recently bought soba noodles to throw on the griddle for a little Blackstone hibachi. I always preferred and ordered noodles instead of rice.
Awesome looking meal and what a great presentation. Great job.

Warren
WOW!! Such a beautiful presentation. My son has been saying for months now that we should purchase a griddle. Now I am leaning that way. Thank you for sharing.
Damn Jeff that is top notch man! Whole meals looks delicious. Bet the smell coming off that thing was amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the like jcam it is greatly appreciated.

Warren
Thanks for looking and the kind words. This one is a definite keeper for us.

For any interested members...JJ

Smokey Mild Harissa

1ea Roasted Red Peppers. See below.
4ea Dried Ancho Chiles*
2ea Dried Guajillo Chiles*
2ea Heads Garlic, Roasted
1T Smoked Paprika, OR,
(1T Chipotle Powder, for Heat!)
1T Tomato Paste
1T Lemon Juice
1tsp Lemon Zest
1tsp Coriander Seed
1tsp Caraway Seed
1tsp Cumin Seed
1tsp Sugar
1tsp Kosher Salt
1/2tsp Black Pepper
1/4C Olive Oil, or as needed

Optional: A Handful Cilantro Leaves and/or Mint Leaves.

Heat an Oven to 400°F. Cut a bit of the top of the Garlic heads off to expose the cloves.
Place the Garlic heads on 12" of Foil, drizzle with Olive Oil, seal up the foil and roast the Garlic 30 minutes or until soft.
Soak the Chiles in 2C Boiling Water for 30 minutes. When soft remove the stems and seed.
Place the Red Pepper over the flame of a stove. Burn the skin until very black on all sides.
Place in a plastic bag, seal and let cool. Wipe the burnt skin off and remove seeds, rinse if desired.
Place the Spice Seeds in a small pan and Toast over Med/High heat until fragrant.
Dump the seeds in a cheapo Coffee Grinder and grind into a powder.
Place all the ingredients but the Olive Oil in a Food Processor.
Puree the ingredient, stopping to scrape the bowl down a few times.
When well pureed, Drizzle the Olive Oil in while the processor is running. Process, adding Oil, to desired thickness.
If too thick, you can add the Chile soaking liquid as needed.
Adjust Seasoning. Place the Harissa in a jar and cover with a thin layer of Olive Oil.
Cover and refrigerate. Will keep about 6 weeks if you keep the Harissa covered in Oil.
Makes about 1 Cup.

Note* The Chiles are available in some Grocery Stores, at Mexican Grocers or Online. Leftover Dry Chiles keep a year or more and are used in many Mexican dishes and in Chili con Carne.

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky