Hard Brisket Bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
IMG_20181210_164247887_HDR.jpg IMG_20181211_083925205_HDR.jpg IMG_20181211_174959545.jpg IMG_20181211_175127345_HDR.jpg Hi I'm just trying to figure out why my brisket bark was so hard to slice thru. I started out with an 11 lb brisket broke it down into point flat I think.
In my WSM 22 with Weber brigs at 5pm temp was 225-250. Flat/small piece was done at 1:30am the bigger was done at 8:30.Looks like it cooked for almost 15 hrs. Small piece was better slicing.
I'm thinking over done some?
Hope the pics help.
Thanks Dan

To soften the bark you can use the Texas crutch. I personally love the harder bark on briskets.

Scott

15 hours seems like a long time to me. What were your ITs when you pulled them out? But you could definitely crutch it to soften the bark. Me personally love a nice good bark on a brisket.

I sure wouldn't turn down some of that!
Of course, my Doctor has different ideas.
Looks great to me. Anybody that can't gnaw up that bark is a pansy.
Which of course, would upset my dentist.

I'd rather die happy and full. ;)

I'm not a fan of needing a hacksaw to get through brisket bark, which is why I bought a roll of butcher paper.
They get wrapped now, it's like a crutch but it can breathe and self baste.
Not all juices get trapped, some definitely steams off or leaks out.
But it leaves me with a wonderfully slice'able and chewy bark.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
I'm not a fan of needing a hacksaw to get through brisket bark, which is why I bought a roll of butcher paper.
They get wrapped now, it's like a crutch but it can breathe and self baste.
Not all juices get trapped, some definitely steams off or leaks out.
But it leaves me with a wonderfully chewy bark.

Yeah, but Chile, you are a Master and a Gourmet Chef.
Most of us are chickens pecking in the yard... :emoji_wink:

Lma

LMAO.... What ya been smoking Sonny?
I love the flattery, but damn, I wish it was true. :oops:

Oh, I gave up smokin in 2004/2005, a personal New Years resolution.
I had to actually tell the wife I had quit. She didn't realize.

What makes a Chef? Somebody who Loves to make food, gets dedicated enough to do it and present it, and does it a lot/daily.
Sounds like chilerelleno to me.
And if it isn't true, you can't put it on the Internet.

Excuse me, some fresh poop hit the ground and I have to run over and peck at it.... :emoji_rooster:

15 hours seems like a long time to me. What were your ITs when you pulled them out? But you could definitely crutch it to soften the bark. Me personally love a nice good bark on a brisket.

Hi All Temp was 205 when both were taken off.Both probed like butter. The bark was very tasty but rock hard, made slicing it a MPIA.
Thanks Dan
PS I do have butcher paper and foil but, didn't want to warp in the early morning hours.

Chile John definitely knows what he's talking about. I started wrapping briskets, butts, and tri tips in inexpensive brown, wax-less butcher paper (couldn't find the peach colored stuff) earlier this year. The bark is firm, but not crunchy. It makes a delicious difference.

Hi All Temp was 205 when both were taken off.Both probed like butter. The bark was very tasty but rock hard, made slicing it a MPIA.
Thanks Dan
PS I do have butcher paper and foil but, didn't want to warp in the early morning hours.

Oh, well then you need a MPIA mitigating tool.

Bark or Bones, this will do it Jones:

192209-22inch-hand-saw-47-2201.jpg

What? You didn't expect seriousness from me did you?
Better than the Axe approach...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky