Harbor Freight propane torch, is it safe to sear food?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think you mean Harbor Freight Flamethrower! Lol

I have one that I used to sear steaks with after cooking SV and reverse searing. It worked really well and I didn’t notice any off flavors from using the propane.

I would put the meat on my little weber smokey joe on the driveway and sear them there. This way I was away from my wood deck...there is a pretty strong flame that comes out of these things (I bought it for driveway weeds, it has since broke)...but for $18, I got two summers out of it so I can’t complain.

Unless you use the 20lb outdoor gas tank, you'll have to get an adapter for the throwaway propane bottles. It looks like it could work, but would be unwieldy to say the least. The best thing is the Searzall that can be ordered from Amazon. Fits on a bottle, is easy to move around, and has the wire mesh to diffuse the flame so there's no hotspots. I have one and it works as advertised

Reactions: zwiller
I agree with the flamethrower comment. I use one for weeds and it works great. There is little control as far a flame goes. It is full on jet engine strength when you squeeze the handle. May not be the best for food.

I'll second the TS8000 and Searzall. The combo is not inexpensive but easily stored in a kitchen cabinet and convenient. It can Safely be used Indoors as well. I would not use the Turbo Jet Flame Thrower in the house! 1800W Heat Guns give a good sear as well...JJ

Geez, I'd like to think you guys see my OTBS status and realize I know NOT to operate this thing indoors. :emoji_laughing:

So the consensus is OK for food then...

Things just got interesting... I have a Milwaukee heat gun and BM Mapp setup ALREADY... I am a homebrewer and have 3 propane tanks so non issue. Strangely, the reason I like this torch is because it IS overkill and want the Tim Taylor effect. Not kidding, when we renovate the kitchen I am installing a salamander and pro hood. I am trying to talk myself out of:

Reactions: xray
You do know not to use it in the bathtub or shower don't you? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I've used one for searing steaks etc. I tossed the meat on my grill and let fly. Works well.

Reactions: xray and zwiller
Just know that you want a set up that you can sear without " tipping " the tank . Propane tank with a hose is a good set up .

IF you don't want to pay the $61 for a Searzall, get a Benzomatic "flame spreader". Sometimes hard to find, but it just snaps on the end of a regular torch nozzle. Of make one from sheet metal like this guy did.

Home Made "Flame Spreader"

Works well. You can turn the flame up plenty high without squeezing the trigger.

Also good for starting the coals in a fire basket for a drum smoker. 60 seconds and we're off to the races.

First time that I used mine to fry the weeds out of my rock garden, it stopped traffic!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky