Happy Sunday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

f3-doorjam

Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
Savannah, GA
Hello all,
As I sit working from home in house imprisonment social distancing, I’m learning more about smoking and techniques. I have a MES (not sure of the model, but it was on clearance from Sam’s a while back, and has the door with window, an elevated stand, and bluetooth capability that doesn’t actually work). Been using it stock so far with a separate multi-probe thermometer, but I’m looking to do the mailbox mod so I can cold-smoke and also do some longer sessions. Until then (and for shorter runs like chicken, burgers, etc.) I’ll continue with the chip loader. I’m also going to start not using the water tray at least for beef, after reading discussion on here; probably continue with chicken just because it turns out so well and we don’t care for the skin anyway.

In the past I’ve done chuck roasts, bottom round, whole chickens and turkeys, and chicken wings (for the church youth ministry). Been very pleased so far but hoping to expand to brisket etc. once we can start having visitors again. No pork though—we don’t eat it.

Today’s plan is to smoke a ~7.5lb sirloin tip from Sam’s. Dry-brined last night and will use a basic rub today before smoking over hickory. Aiming to start around 1130 at 225 and shooting for 140-145 as we aren’t looking to slice for sandwiches and want it a bit tender. First time doing one of these. I might also throw a tray of cubed red potatoes in for a couple hours to see how that turn out.

Speaking of pellet trays, I assume you can just not load it all the way and/or separate the non-burned pellets for next time if you don’t need the full capability... right?

Welcome to SMF!
Good luck with your roast, and yes you can fill the tray as full or as empty as you want. And if you have any leftover ones that didn’t burn just separate them from the burning ones for next time.
Al

Welcome DoorJam!!

My day is planned … smoking some pork CSRs, a venison roast (a new one for me), and wild turkey breasts (for my neighbor … if it doesn't turn out I will blame him for not getting a better bird! )

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I've only smoked sirloin tips for sannys, take them out pretty rare and thin slice. Take a pic or two, let us know if 145º softens them up some. RAY

Well, things turned out mostly ok. Meat finished right at six hours of cooking and IT of 145F. Foil-wrapped and placed it in a cooler for an hour. So far it is surprisingly tender on the parts we’ve eaten so far; even in 3/8 thick slices it isn’t tough or chewy. The bottom was especially tender and juicy. The smoke seems to really be evident since it’s such a lean cut (at least to me).

Coming out:
F41E3ED7-BBFB-4527-AE7C-DBC91CE6912F.jpeg

And served:
1360134D-0FBA-470E-902A-CC3F68705088.jpeg

The potatotes... well, they could have used an extra hour. They were on for just over two hours and the outsides looked and were good, but the insides were still a little tough. I may just stick to oven roasting them.

Wife cooked the green beans (sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice) and they were excellent as always.

I had the same pan seen in the first pic in place for a while as a drip pan but I think it was messing up the temperature distribution. Next time I’ll probably use the water pan just filled with sand or something—I think it does a pretty decent job of distributing heat and airflow. Very little mess to clean up, too, compared to something like four racks of chicken wings or burgers.

We’re going to have a lot of meat for the week, which was kind of the point. As I do the vast majority of the cooking, it’s a nice break:emoji_grin:

Reactions: SmokinGame
Looks really good! I've done potatoes a few times and haven't gotten the timing right yet. A little under done every time. They take longer than I thought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky