Happy Craft Beer Week May 11-17 (what are you drinking today)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ozzz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
Happy craft beer week everyone. What craft beer are you drinking each day this week. Today I am drinking Creemore Lot 9 Pilsner.

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpg
    IMG_3809.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Peabody Heights out of Baltimore ( Astrodon)

and more local Mad Science Brewery in Adamstown MD
Black Death Imperial IPA

Attachments

• f6398e2babee9cd843c0941c254ee7d8_640x640.jpg
    f6398e2babee9cd843c0941c254ee7d8_640x640.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 3dc25719477218465975a6afdd0911d2_640x640.jpg
    3dc25719477218465975a6afdd0911d2_640x640.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
All Grain?

Not any more. Half mash. I did all grain for years then tried a half mash and you can't tell the difference. It just takes a lot less time, equipment, and space to do half mash. Also, I make two different batches at a time: one for me and one for the wife. There's not much way I could manage two all grain set-up at once.

Robert

Not any more. Half mash. I did all grain for years then tried a half mash and you can't tell the difference. It just takes a lot less time, equipment, and space to do half mash. Also, I make two different batches at a time: one for me and one for the wife. There's not much way I could manage two all grain set-up at once.

Robert

Awesome Robert! That’s the word. Took a class on all extract a few years ago and the brewer stated he had done different beers in both extract and all grain and no one could tell the difference. Cheers!

There are three different approaches to making beer:

1) All extract. Lots of liquid malt and only a very small amount of specialty grains that steep for 15 minutes. Total time to make approximately 2 1/2 hours

2) Half mash. Far less malt extract and way more grain that steeps for 45 minutes. You get WAY more variety in malt grains with this method. Total time to make approximately 3 hours

3) All grain. Exactly that, all grain and no extract. Total time to make is over 5 hours unless you manage to short-cut a couple steps, which can be done if you're inclined to do it.

Robert

P.S. you actually can tell a huge difference in flavor between all extract and half mash or all grain. There are only a few different flavors of the extract so you're very limited in flavor profiles you can create.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I didn't know it was Craft Brew Week! Even though it's beer week every week around here. Tonight it's a local Michigan beer from Founders. 10% and packs a punch of flavor!!View attachment 444978

they have a grapefruit version out as well this year. I actually prefer that one!

Those and green zebra are about all I can stand to drink from founders. I went to their brew pub. What a disappointment.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Ugh. I mean, to be fair, I'm not really a fan of founders beer. The pub is nice and all But if you don't like the beer, it's not really going to be for you. They have it broke up into several separate bars and we had to pay a damn cover charge to get in!

If youve never been to Grand rapids Michigan, it is like the brew mecca of the country. there's literally a brewery on just about every corner. So why would I pay a cover charge to go into a brewery that in my opinion is all hype.

Idk. That was just my take on the whole thing.

I do love it when people start beer threads. It's taking all the power in me not to just blast it with pictures of recent fallen soldiers :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky