Hanging vs Laying on grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tinman19

Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Being new to this site I hope I am asking this in the correct place (please let me know if its not). I have made smoked kielbasa in my Green Mountain Pellet Smoker and have hung the rings in a traditional manner. My question is with snack sticks. Does it matter if you hang them vs laying them down on the rack? I could make grill length "sticks" by laying them down vs draping them over a sausage hanger and not really getting a "stick" but a snack ring! Does laying them down have any difference in finished product?
Thanks,
Al

Obviously if you don’t case them, you can’t hang them.
That being said I have done them both ways, cased hanging & cased on the rack.
The only difference I could tell was the ones on the rack had stripes on them from the racks, but so far as flavor goes, there was no difference.
Al

Reactions: Bearcarver
I lay mine on the racks, but I make mine "unstuffed" (skinless), so I can't hang mine if I wanted to.
I don't find any negative things about laying them.
Link: Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)

Bear
I lay mine on the racks, but I make mine "unstuffed" (skinless), so I can't hang mine if I wanted to.
I don't find any negative things about laying them.
Link: Unstuffed Beef Sticks (All Beef)

Bear

Well they are laying on the racks!!!! Thank you all for your replies. Makes me feel more confident knowing I can get advice from others with more experience.

Thanks to you all again. I will let you know how they turn out!.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky