"Hammy ribs?"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mbogo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Had an interesting cook the other night-  Went to Rainbow foods cuz they had a big seafood sale going on, and I wanted some Smelt. While there I noticed they had BB ribs on sale for 2.49/lb. Hormel brand, simply labeled pork loin back ribs. At that price, I figured why not?

Smoked them exactly the same as I always do, with a slightly modified 2-2-1.  They looked a little odd, and took longer than usual.

Pulled them once tender, and sliced. took a bite, and the flavor was decent, but the texture, or grain was exactly like ham or a smoked (cured) pork chop.

I thought this was very odd, as I've got these pretty much dialed in & predictable.

Had to go to my favorite butcher the other day, and (sheepishly ) admitted I'd bought elsewhere, and told him what happened. Without even a moments thought, he says Hormel injects the h... out of their ribs with Nitrates & water/salt god knows what.  So the ribs were basically starting to cure on their own, (Which also extends shelf life). 

The ribs I get from him are all-natural, with minimal processing.  What a world of difference, you really do get what you pay for!!

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this or similiar.

Got 4 racks on now, hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

Mbogo

pork loin back ribs and baby back ribs are two different ribs. treat loin back ribs just like spares.

I made some intentionally one time.  I cured them (can't remember whether wet or dry), put a layer of turbinado sugar on, and smoked till tender.  They were like ham lollipops. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky