Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pabs

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
tx
I am trying my luck at curing and smoking a picnic ham. I cured it and have it in masterbuilt smoker now cold-smoking for 12 hrs. It will be ready for me to hot-smoke around 12 tonight. I will up the temp but don't know how I will keep it smoking as it burns chips pretty fast and I can't stay up. So it will cook without smoke for few hrs til I get up. Do you think that would be alright? Also don't know how much I should leave vent open.

It won't be a problem to cook without smoke.  You just won't have as much smoke flavor.  However, the 12 hour cold smoke should have given you a good smoke base.

Leave the vent open at least half, if not all the way open.

Cranky has you covered.

Buy a pellet tray so you can smoke and sleep.

One more question. What should the temp be when I take it out?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky