Ham - Salt question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Have used Pops Brine many, many times to make "ham" from pork shoulders and butts.

Picked up 2 boneless pork shoulders.

Read the fine print- Contains up to 8% salt and water solution.

I use between 1/2 and 2/3 cup of salt when I mix my brine.

Question approximately how much should I reduce the salt to account for what is already added?

Thanks

Morning.... first, you have NO IDEA what the % salt is in the injected solution..
The injection is 8% the weight of the picnic... Is the injection liquid 5%, 10% or 20% salt... I would lean toward the highest % salt possible as it increases their profit... 2-$3 per pound for salt makes money...
Now, I have used "enhanced" picnics for ham... I directly inject what I want in the picnic... I cut my ingredients in half.... 1% salt, 0.5% sugar, 0.25% STPP, 0.12% cure#1... and I inject using a liquid that is 5% the weight of the picnic... for the liquid I use No salt added vegetable stock... Makes a great ham....
Veggie Stock.jpg

I think you can possibly estimate by working it backward from the sodium listed. I would have to dig for it but I did the math before and the enhanced BIRDS I normally use (Honeysuckle White) have less than half the salt of lunch meat. More like a 1/3 from memory. I imagine pork will be similar. ROT for enhanced is to half it like Dave does. I use enhanced turkeys and Pop's low salt brine for my Holiday birds and they turn out great. The _KEY_ to using Pop's brine is to recognize he uses sea salt (large grain) which is half the volume of table. So for the low salt that is 1/4C salt.

Have used Pops Brine many, many times to make "ham" from pork shoulders and butts.

Picked up 2 boneless pork shoulders.

Read the fine print- Contains up to 8% salt and water solution.

I use between 1/2 and 2/3 cup of salt when I mix my brine.

Question approximately how much should I reduce the salt to account for what is already added?

Thanks
Hey I know this sounds funny but when I was young many ok a lot of years ago the proper way to do a wet cure was to take a potato and I can’t remember what make or model and add salt till it floats in water, we had a wooden barrel in our cooler that we done corned beef and spare ribs any meat you wanted. You may laugh but we cured a lot of meat and no one got sick.

Hey I know this sounds funny but when I was young many ok a lot of years ago the proper way to do a wet cure was to take a potato and I can’t remember what make or model and add salt till it floats in water, we had a wooden barrel in our cooler that we done corned beef and spare ribs any meat you wanted. You may laugh but we cured a lot of meat and no one got sick.

On here we don't go by how many times you didn't sicken or kill someone.We try to abide by safe standards and keep everything cold.Please do not take offence
Richie

On here we don't go by how many times you didn't sicken or kill someone.We try to abide by safe standards and keep everything cold.Please do not take offence
Richie
I was just saying times have changed and do we really know how many people has gotten sick from not doing the proper procedure now a Days?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky