Ham Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
So after the ham is cured, tested and no bone sour detected, smoked, bagged and hung.

I keep reading and realize it takes good air circulation to evaporate or dry the ham. Does the drying effect a cooler/reefer's ability to achieve the same effect as hanging in the smoke house? Is the reefer a slower dehydrator or is it about the same.

Basically does it change anything in the drying process to leave it in the cooler?

I have two home refrigerators, and a beer reefer and a now a meat reefer. I should have room.

Last edited:
The true country hams are dry cured and benefit mostly after curing by being kept in an open air environment below 90°for months.  Because it is wet brined you have produced what is known as a "city ham" similar to what is purchased in the markets. As much as I would like to help, I cannot answer your question.  Maybe Pop's can give you some advice.

Tom

That is one of the differences between a dry cure and a wet cure ham; the wet cure ham requires no hanging or drying.  After curing, smoke it and enjoy!

It's a rancid smell inside the meat from the cure not reaching the interior of the meat (along the bone) and the meat spoiling because cure did not reach it.  That is why you need to inject (or pump) larger pieces over 2" thick, such as shoulders, hams, even large loins.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky