Ham Press recipes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I just received it yesterday (A little shout-out to SherryT SherryT !) and was wondering if anyone has any recipes?
can.jpg
I'm hoping to make low/no sodium lunchmeat....

Reactions: SherryT and chopsaw
I looked at those after seeing her thread .
I'm doing some stuff today . One is pickle loaf . Using the Dutch Mortadella recipe from Marianski as a base .
I've done the cotto salami from Poli . Waterproof casings and cooked SV . It's a good one . Just did a homemade spam . Pretty basic . Salt and cure by weight .
This is the cotto . Beef pork mixture , but I use all pork most of the time .
1669817063678.jpeg
Poli has a lunch meat section on his website .

Poli has some good looking ones on his site...printed a few off that look interesting. Like I need a bigger to do list!

Ryan

Poli has some good looking ones on his site.
I've done
Spiced ham roll
Cotto salami American style
Gelbwurst
Bierwurst
The spiced ham roll was the only one I didn't care for .
It was all pre cured pork chunks which I like , but the spice was weird . I expected it to be more " hammy " .
1669820112600.jpeg

Reactions: zwiller
I've done
Spiced ham roll
Cotto salami American style
Gelbwurst
Bierwurst
The spiced ham roll was the only one I didn't care for .
It was all pre cured pork chunks which I like , but the spice was weird . I expected it to be more " hammy " .
View attachment 649782
Hey Rich, do you have that Len Poli site address? I know you sent it to me but I'll be danged if I can find it...my dang nose must be in the way.

I'm looking to make something like chopped ham lunch meat...the prepackaged stuff stays good forever so you know it's full of preservatives. Our local small town grocer carries it in big blocks and is really good.

Ryan

A recipe came with the instructions for a turkey loaf and there's a you tube recipe for ground beef and pork. The website has several. All of them call for 2 tsp of salt for 2#, which is a LOT of salt. They also use gelatin. Is that for a binder of some kind?
I think I could use #1 cure and cut way back on the salt. Mariansky calls for cure in all the ones I saw.....
I do have the recipe for Pop's low salt Dutch/Old Fashioned loaf. I just have to figure out how to break it down from 5# to 2#.

Hey Rich, do you have that Len Poli site address? I know you sent it to me but I'll be danged if I can find it...my dang nose must be in the way.

I'm looking to make something like chopped ham lunch meat...the prepackaged stuff stays good forever so you know it's full of preservatives. Our local small town grocer carries it in big blocks and is really good.

Ryan
That's what I was thinking about. I could use pork loin.

A recipe came with the instructions for a turkey loaf and there's a you tube recipe for ground beef and pork. The website has several. All of them call for 2 tsp of salt for 2#, which is a LOT of salt. They also use gelatin. Is that for a binder of some kind?
I think I could use #1 cure and cut way back on the salt. Mariansky calls for cure in all the ones I saw.....
I do have the recipe for Pop's low salt Dutch/Old Fashioned loaf. I just have to figure out how to break it down from 5# to 2#.
Pop's has a sticky about that...

Ryan

Dan that spiced ham roll I posted a pic of has unflavored powder gelatin in it . Binds the cubes together . I have threads on doing poultry breast meat for lunch meat.

What's the difference between the gelatin and meat glue?

Ryan

Dan that spiced ham roll I posted a pic of has unflavored powder gelatin in it . Binds the cubes together . I have threads on doing poultry breast meat for lunch meat.
Thanks, Rich, I had a feeling that was what it was for, I'd just never seen it before.

chopped ham lunch meat.

I could use pork loin.
This is Krakow , but you could do the same method with different spice for something more like ham .
I used pork loin for the chunks , and ground pork butt through the 1/8" plate to mix it all together . No gelatin in this .
Cure the cubes and the grind sperarate . I went 3 days before mixing the together .
1669840003931.jpeg
Holds together just fine . This was smoked . You could use the press , but I would think you would need to let it cool before removing it .
1669840179783.jpeg

This is Krakow , but you could do the same method with different spice for something more like ham .
I used pork loin for the chunks , and ground pork butt through the 1/8" plate to mix it all together . No gelatin in this .
Cure the cubes and the grind sperarate . I went 3 days before mixing the together .
View attachment 649806
Holds together just fine . This was smoked . You could use the press , but I would think you would need to let it cool before removing it .
View attachment 649807
The instructions all say to cool after cooking.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just received it yesterday (A little shout-out to SherryT SherryT !) and was wondering if anyone has any recipes?
View attachment 649780
I'm hoping to make low/no sodium lunchmeat....

Wheeeee!

Wolfe Pit spam is VERY good and it wasn't too salty, IMO (google "wolfe pit spam"). I've also done the Taylor Pork Roll recipe (also very good, although I have NO idea if it actually tastes like the real deal as I've never HAD the real deal!).

I sprayed the inside with cooking spray and it came out easily, but they say you can run hot water over the outside after you refrigerate it and it'll turn loose.

You can also use it in a Sous Vide if you have one...just make sure the water level is above the meat level. You might have to drill out the in the handle (my probe fit the hole in the lid, but not the handle).

Have fun!

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky