Ham From Pork Butt with Pop's Brine Again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
My youngest daughter and my oldest grandson share the same birthday so I made some hams from 2 pork butts. We are going to have a party here Sunday for the both of them.

I used Pop's brine and soaked them for 13 days. The recipe I used is:

1 gallon water

3/4 cup Kosher salt

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 Tbs cure #1

I  boned them and tied the butts back together, injected them every 1 inch and put them to sleep for 13 days in the basement refrigerator.

Boned and tied before going in Pop's brine.

Here they are rinsed and sitting on my smoker grate in front of a fan to from the pellicle. We just moved the party up an hour to accommodate a few people so they must be ready to come of the smoker by 3:30 Sunday. I think I will start them at 1:30 AM and run things a little hotter than I want to 250. These are 8 & 9 1/2 lb butts. The smoker is ready to slide the grate in start the AMNPS and turn the smoker on. Then back to bed! I want to make pulled ham again as that is what the birthday people want so 205 IT it is.

You just inspired me and I spent the last hour reading up on pulled ham.  Thank you!  I can't wait to see and read about your finished product.

I decided to start at midnight last night while I was still up. At 9 hours IT was 169.

Taking on some mahogany!

I had the AMNPS lit on both ends last night (nice burn!). Refilled with some more apple pellets and started again at 9 AM. The smoker is running at 215 and the IT is stalled at 169.

I would bet she takes after her mother...... ROFLMAO!!

Good looking kids my friend, The grand boy looks like a typical kid.... look at that grin..... He's got cake and a get out of jail free card at grampa's and he knows it!!

Congrats on the family and on the butts.

I would bet she takes after her mother...... ROFLMAO!!

Good looking kids my friend, The grand boy looks like a typical kid.... look at that grin..... He's got cake and a get out of jail free card at grampa's and he knows it!!

Congrats on the family and on the butts.
Both of my daughters got lucky and look like their mother. They will appreciate when they get older and keep their hair. I didn't get a picture but I saw Tanner frowning while watching his dad read the instructions for his remote control helicopter. His dad finally pushed some controls and the helicopter flew up about 2 feet and dropped back down. It turned that little mans frown around in a hurry.

What is better than smoking food for your family? Nothing.

Disco
Your 100% correct Disco! They took a 1/2 ham home as well.

Looks very tasty.. They look ready to chow down...
Thank you! They are so tasty and ham at the price of pork butts is a beautiful thing. Just a little more waiting a you'll be pulling out some out your brine bucket that you probably never thought you would be able to make yourself.

Wow beautiful hams!!! Now that's a very pretty young lady and a mischievous looking young man!!!
Thanks Alesia! I'm blessed with a great family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky