Ham cook (reheat) times?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbosch74

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 13, 2013
OFallon, Mo
Merry Christmas, all.

I am following Jeff's rum double smoked ham recipe today.  He says to smoke it for 3 hours.  However, his recipe doesn't say what size.

I'm getting a bit worried.  I have an 11-pounder.  It's been in the smoker around 225 for an hour and it's only up to 50 degrees.  I can't imagine this big piece of meat getting to 140 in the next 3-4 hours (everyone is expecting to eat at the 4 hour mark).  I'd just crank up the heat, but my Smokin-It smoker is dialed to 250 and 225 is about as high as it'll get with a big piece of meat in there.

I am probably going to pull it from the smoker and toss it into the oven at 350, but thought I'd get your thoughts for next time.

Yet again, I didn't give myself enough time.  I think I need to start doubling the amount of time the "guidelines" tell me as I can also keep stuff warm later if I gave myself too much time.

Depending on the size of the ham, I usually estimate 25-30 minutes per lb. cooking at 225F.

Put a 12.5 lb ham in the smoker (Cookshack electric) 1.5 hours ago straight from the refrigerator with an IT of 34F. It's now up to 63F.

BTW, I pull at 135F and FTC for an hour. The IT will rise to 140 or a little higher.

Good Luck.

Thanks, guys.  I think you're right about the room temp...that would've shaved an hour, at least.

It was pretty close.  I ended up pulling it after about 3 1/2 hours in the smoker and finished in the oven at 350, which took about another hour.  So 4 1/2 total.  Once it got past about 70 degrees IT, the pace increased rapidly.

By the way, for those of you who haven't made that recipe...fantastic!  Every single member of my family said that was the best ham they'd ever had (plus it wasn't store bought, but instead it was a free range pig from a local farmer).  The only thing I would suggest is that if you're doing a larger ham like I did, double the rum injection recipe.  Next time, I also probably throw some foil over it halfway...it was slightly dry.  But these are mere nitpickings.

Last edited:
Beef.....Ham???? Hmmmmmm........
police2.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky