Half naked chicken experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elginplowboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Elgin Tx
Ok, so apparently I've gone a little nuts. The experiment is this: two whole chickens stripped half naked skin removed from only the breast meat. Theory is more smoke penetration but fear is dried out meat. Basted twice every 15 for last 30 then basted again while resting. So here are the pics out of the smoker
so what do y'all think?
After final coat of finishing sauce
will post money shot and sliced pics in a bit after I try it out.

Whoooohoooo man I lucked out. Breast meat was still moist with nice smoke flavor. Thank u chef jj man your pork finishing sauce also works great on chicken. No smoke ring with electric smoker but man it sure does taste good and visual appeal is amazing.
drum thigh and wing was extra moist and man this was good.

Yep, I'm even thinking of going completed naked and remove all the skin prior to smoking. Plan to experiment a little more

Yep, I'm even thinking of going completed naked ...
OK, we are talking about the chicken here, right?  Don't mean to judge, we all have some quirks on our smoking routines.  For my part, I say whatever works for you!

Tasty looking birds. I remove all the skin every once in a while. Never had a dry bird. Save the skin for making Schmaltz and gribenes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky