Hahahhahaha what a great deal!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
So...Since hitting 55 I have received regular mail from the AARP...at 60 it got a little more regular..every other week..at 62 I got on SS and heard from AARP every week..

I figured ok they are gonna send me a gift and some other stuff to sign up..so I signed up last month...

2 years 43 bucks...

Here's the good part..they cashed the check on 4/2/13 and I have not heard one thing..no cards..no gifts..no mail!!!!

Yaaaaaaaa..cheap to get them off my neck..hahahahahahahhaaha

Craig

Oh you got something from them alright....   It's called Obama-care.  And all the cost and taxes that go along with it.

When my membership runs out next year I will not be renewing it. I'm switching to one of the other groups like AMAC, TSC or ASA.  They will have to spin their next agenda with someone else's money.  Over half their operating budget comes from insurance company royalties.  And if you research their political positions on many issues, they lean far to left for my tastes.  If I had known when I first joined what I know now they would never have gotten a dime from us.

Last edited:
Oh you got something from them alright....   It's called Obama-care.  And all the cost and taxes that go along with it.

When my membership runs out next year I will not be renewing it. I'm switching to one of the other groups like AMAC, TSC or ASA.  They will have to spin their next agenda with someone else's money.  Over half their operating budget comes from insurance company royalties.  And if you research their political positions on many issues, they lean far to left for my tastes.  If I had known when I first joined what I know now they would never have gotten a dime from us.
I'm in the business....if everyone only knew what i know about this they would crap their pants.....  AARP sells medicare supplements which will sky rocket in cost which is why they supported it...$$$$$

AARP..... herding the elderly sheeple since 1958.

So someone please explain to me how you can be a "non-profit" organization and receive over 50% of your income from royalties paid by insurance companies? $652 million paid by insurance companies for insurance products you hawk to your members is a lot of coinage.  Not to mention $120 million from adds placed in your publications.

And yes, they are pro-gun control also.... 
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Handguns continue to pose a serious threat to citizens of all ages. In 1995, 11,283 people were killed with handguns. At least $1 Billion is spent annually on medical costs associated with treating shooting victims."[/font]
Of course AARP was founded by a retired California teacher so I guess a left leaning slant is to be expected.

I've been receiving their garbage mail for some time now (turned 50 last year). Each time I get something from them and it has a return envelope in it I stuff their garbage in it and mail it back! Let them get the junk mail, and pay for it, for a while.

I will be calling to cancel tomorrow..thanks for the heads up...

I never thought about checking them out...sheesh...

Just like the red cross...

Craig

Last edited:
And don't forget United Way. 

There was a huge scandal with their operating overhead a few years back.  If my memory serves correct one of the whistleblower news outfits showed how the majority of donation actually paid salaries and lavish expenses for the staff instead of actually going to the intended charities.  Seems like the number was in the 85% range being skimmed for lavish lifestyles & salaries, and their NC director had a $1.2 million dollar compensation package in 2007. Not to mention their founder went to prison for fraud after stealing over $1 million from donations in 1995.

Plus they are one of the main funding sources for Planned Parenthood and no longer support the Boy Scouts of America due to the BSA stand on homosexuality.

Where I used to work was a big proponent of donation via the "One Pledge" plan to the United Way.  Every year they forced employees to fill out a pledge sheet and you had to turn in a sheet even if you donated 0% (which a lot of us did once word spread about how little was actually going to the end charities).

We now pick our charities individually and make direct donations.  That way I know there are not 3 middle men skimming the bulk of my money and it goes where I intended (not to push some agenda I have no intention of supporting).

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky