Hackberry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Just got back from my deer camp. We're on the Mississippi, & the river has had us trapped since late December. This was my first work weekend of 2020, and it sure felt good to get back out there!

Anyway, I usually get some really good pecan wood every year up there. We have an elevated cabin, and are right against the river, so open air conditions make it ideal for seasoning wood. But this year there is a massive hackberry down in camp. I've heard many people say it can be cooked with but I'm not so sure.

Anyone have any real experience with it? Is it worth the work? Or should I just go look for a big pecan tree?

Hackberry works well, however it needs to be well cured or it will throw off a bitter flavor. It mixes well with other woods like pecan.

Reactions: 73saint
I would never have thought it was usable, I had a very large hack tree cut down a few years ago, we burned some of it to dispose of it and it STUNK to high heaven.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky