Gyro sliders and Greek Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff . . . My man to the rescue! My Doctor has been after me for the last year to change up my diet (Did I Eat That?) and suggested that I look into a low carb or Keto diet. I've drug my feet on switching to Keto because, well-I blame the Bride! She has been hesitant in making the switch because she claims she's not sure if she will like it or not.

Well, the last three months, when I've prepared supper I have tried to slip in a keto meal about once a week. Last night she asked be to make a keto meal so she could try it. I asked her if she remembered certain meals that I have made and she responded with a yes and commented on how great they tasted. She was surprised when I told her they were keto. This weekend she wants to "keto" shop to see what it will do to the grocery budget.

This recipe is book marked and it will on next weeks menu.

LIKE You are killing it man!

Totally trying your gyro mix too. I know it's good as I do the same ratio of cumin:coriander but never used chili powder before. Is the thyme leaf or ground?

Last edited:
Very, very creative. I like this. Point to you sir.
Beautiful looking meal.The pics induced salivation.:emoji_yum:
View attachment 429558
that is awesome, I buy at least 5lbs of lamb/beef gyro meat shaved and make gyro's or gyro salads at least once a week. I also make a sour cream based cucumber/dill salad to save carbs. I really want to try your "waffle" recipe, I think that will be much better than the low carb wraps I currently use - Thanks!
One of the best meals I've seen on here in a while!
very nice
Richie
Looks great! Awesome step by step thread. Gyros are not something we do around here but I may have to change that after seeing your post. That salad looks amazing!
That looks wonderful Jeff, I bet the wife appreciated both the effort and flavors.

Point for sure
Chris
Beautiful meal Jeff!! I ate Gyros all the time when I was younger and absolutely loved them. It's been a while since having one though. As with a few other folks, I may have to change that. Had a little Greek restaurant just down the street when we lived in our previous house and any time Tracy wasn't going to be home for dinner, that's where I went. I didn't even have to order. I just walked in the door, they brought me a beer, an got the Gyro going. It's just a bit too far now to go for dinner.

Congrats on the carousel ride!! Beautiful presentation and much deserved. Was pretty creative too!!

Robert
Awesome jpb great meal. Just wish I had been close enough to grab some.

Warren
jcam, Awesome dish! I just bookmarked your recipe and on my list to try... May be this weekend. Thank you for sharing....
That's a beautiful meal! Looked like a lot of work, it's great when everything comes together like that. Like, RAY
Damn Jeff that is simply outstanding! Beautiful presentation and the ahead of time prep work is great! You nailed it on this one. I could eat that for dinner every night this week and never get tired of it. Big points my friend!
Wonderful looking meal!!
Al
Looks Awesome!!
Too much work for me, but I'd certainly Eat Some!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
WOW!!! That's a fantastic looking plate!!! LIKE!
Jeff everything about that screams to me to be eaten. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a gyro.

Everything looks awesome! Congrats on the carousel ride.
Jeff this looks incredible! We are huge greek/middle eastern foodies, and I actually made some venison "gyro meat" that will work perfectly for this! Love the no carb pitas too...very intriguing!
One word...YUMMAY! nice job all around
Thank you all very much for the likes and kind words. We love Mediterranean flavors and these ended up being a great way to repurpose the lamb. I love figuring out how to not waste leftovers.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff . . . My man to the rescue! My Doctor has been after me for the last year to change up my diet (Did I Eat That?) and suggested that I look into a low carb or Keto diet. I've drug my feet on switching to Keto because, well-I blame the Bride! She has been hesitant in making the switch because she claims she's not sure if she will like it or not.

Well, the last three months, when I've prepared supper I have tried to slip in a keto meal about once a week. Last night she asked be to make a keto meal so she could try it. I asked her if she remembered certain meals that I have made and she responded with a yes and commented on how great they tasted. She was surprised when I told her they were keto. This weekend she wants to "keto" shop to see what it will do to the grocery budget.

This recipe is book marked and it will on next weeks menu.
I would say that the basics of the keto diet shouldn't grossly increase the grocery bill. Now I would be the first to admit when trying some of the baking and desserts it will increase cost.
If you ever have questions feel free to PM me. My wife and I have eaten this way for over a year and a half. I lost about 80 lbs. or so. Admittedly I still need to lose 50 or so more and have been stalled for awhile. That said I haven't gained :) I need to dial the calories back down too I know. Also if you are interested there is a great Facebook group Koncious Keto. There are a wealth of people sharing recipes , ideas and encouragement. Highly recommend it. Last I will add my brother in law started it about a year ago due to borderline diabetes and a significant family history. Lost weight and has blood sugar under control.
LIKE You are killing it man!

Totally trying your gyro mix too. I know it's good as I do the same ratio of cumin:coriander but never used chili powder before. Is the thyme leaf or ground?
the thyme I used was ground.

Reactions: Dutch
Very nice! That’s a great feed, I love Greek style gyro.

We have a local shop which makes them on a spit, and they are superb. I have tried to replicate but can only get close.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky