Gumbo...long with lots of pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fine looking gumbo ya got there Charles and I'll take your granddaughters' okra please!

Keith
Thank you, Keith! I'm trying to broaden my granddaughter's horizons and expose her to many different things and flavors. Who knows, her taste may change and one day she'll appreciate it...:emoji_wink:

I grew up in a 'it has to be darker than that' roux family lol. It didn't matter how dark it got, someone would ALWAYS chime in that it wasn't quite dark enough. I go just a touch lighter than most other native coon a$$es though, so I'm a rebel.

I'm in the file' no maters/okra camp though. I don't mind it with maters and okra, but my kids won't touch it if I do.

I can only get file' at one place locally. Harris Teeter and I buy 2 at a time. I will totally buy that shiznit on amzon if they quit carrying it.

There is a little trick you can also do to thicken up gumbo. Make some lighter roux in addition to your dark brown roux - not quite blond but not too brown - and add it in with no more than 10 minutes of simmering time left. The dark stuff always goes in early. The lighter the roux the more thickening power it has, but it can't cook too long or it will break.

I just realized that I'm not going to be able to eat gallons of it this winter on keto. Quarts will have to do on cheat days.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
These cooler temps Here in the south definitely has me thinking chili and soups. That gumbo looks mighty fine! I would hurt myself on that.
Jim

Looks great Charles ! Nice cook bud .
Thank you, Rich...
These cooler temps Here in the south definitely has me thinking chili and soups. That gumbo looks mighty fine! I would hurt myself on that.
Jim
Thank you Jim, you're welcome to a bowl or 3 :emoji_wink: anytime.

These 50° mornings definitely have me thinking about chilis and soups...

Reactions: JLeonard
Well, you have got it going on.... lots of flavor there. Here is a Chef Paul color guide for roux. I'm kind of in between the lower left and upper right. Kind of a beer-bottle brown. 🍺
rQ8FvWN.jpg

Well, you have got it going on.... lots of flavor there. Here is a Chef Paul color guide for roux. I'm kind of in between the lower left and upper right. Kind of a beer-bottle brown. 🍺
View attachment 644737
The one picture that I posted was at the start of the process. I didn't get a picture of the roux before adding the chopped vegetables, but the color was between the 2 on the left and really close to the lower left if I had to guess.

Thanks for that color guide...

Looks fantastic!! Nothing like shrimp fresh off the boat either. When I was younger I’d hit the shrimp boats in Tarpon Springs. I swear some of those shrimp were so big you could make a meal out of a couple.

Team Okra!
Regarding the shrimp. The past few years I have gone to doing the shrimp separate. I blacken the shrimp and add it to the bowl. Roux, dark brick red to chocolate. It always darkens a bit when you throw the trinity in.
Good looking char on the chicken and sausage, it makes a big difference than just throwing it in the pot.
Well done.

Looks fantastic!! Nothing like shrimp fresh off the boat either. When I was younger I’d hit the shrimp boats in Tarpon Springs. I swear some of those shrimp were so big you could make a meal out of a couple.
Thank you, Jeff! Here in South Carolina, we have a recreational shrimping season which we're in the middle of right now, but after 3 shoulder surgeries (and I actually have a 4th one already scheduled), I can't throw a cast net much anymore so I just buy shrimp now...

Reactions: jcam222
Team Okra!
Regarding the shrimp. The past few years I have gone to doing the shrimp separate. I blacken the shrimp and add it to the bowl. Roux, dark brick red to chocolate. It always darkens a bit when you throw the trinity in.
Good looking char on the chicken and sausage, it makes a big difference than just throwing it in the pot.
Well done.
Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated. I like the idea of blackening the shrimp separate and I'll do that next time...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky