Ground up a batch of deer meat for burgers, fell apart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
my coarse plate is about 5/16 I think . It is actually a metric size . maybe 10mm My fine plate is probably approx 1/4 .I'll dig them out and get back at ya . I'm going to be making burger and brats in the next couple weeks .

having said that and after a closer look at your pic of your plates and judging by the number of holes in the plate they are probably about the same as what you have .... But I'll still get back at ya 

IMHO,1 grind on pork butt /loin for pork sausage BUT always two grinds on wild game mixed with pork butt/loin (70/30 or 60/40). I do over 100 pounds every year of moose/deer for home consumption as we don't buy beef burger .Always good and never falls apart .

ok ... I made burger and brats today . ..... my plates are coarse 7mm  ..... grind burger twice ....... and 4.5mm for brats, sausage , salami etc ..... grind one time 

37 pounds deer burger ( 10 pound deer , 3lb bacon , 2 pound beef suet ) ............ 11 lb deer brat burger for patties .......... yummm ............ sunday will be regular deer brats 

Last edited:
I LOVE deer, ground, steaks, jerky, anything but find that mixing it with 70/30 beef is better taste IMO. My last go around I used 38lbs ground deer to 10lbs 70/30 beef, stays formed well, doesnt stick to grill and is just simply awesome flavor.

I must be the odd man out when it comes to fat content on ground venison. I don't grind myself but I have the butcher add in 8% beef fat and that is it. I use it for everything including burgers with no problems.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky