Ground beef jerky and fat percentage

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by thehoz, Apr 12, 2015.

1. thehoz

thehoz Fire Starter

Hi all, I plan on trying my hand at ground beef jerky next week. One question I have is what percent of fat content is ok? What are the various opinions you guys have? 90/10 is on sale at my local store. But I see some guys using 93/7 and 95/5. Thanks

2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The leaner the better,fat is what turns rancid.I recommend using  cure #1 when making Jerky

3. Let us know

4. thehoz

thehoz Fire Starter

I will. But it wont be until next weekend. I have the jerky gun, jerky mats and some mix coming in a couple days. I am doing ribs today though!

5. Ribs sound good  be sure abd post a lot of pictures

Gary

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You can use 80/20 if you have to, but the leaner grinds are better. Another option if you have a grinder get some too round or bottom round, trim all the fat and grind it. It's typically cheaper than buying the leaner ground.

7. smokinadam

smokinadam Smoking Fanatic

90/10 you shouldn't have a problem with. I used to dehydrate with that all the time and the jerky never lasted long enough to turn rancid. I do agree that the less fat the better but when your paying 2$ in a difference to make jerky I don't think that's worth it. Are you smoking or dehyrating?

8. Not trying to get away from the thread title  But I made Pork jerky the other day used pork loin. $1.99 lb.  Kids and grand kids loved it really all you pretty much taste is your flavoring.  Cheap and easy

9. thehoz

thehoz Fire Starter

i am smoking it