Groceries

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Had a lazy Sunday ahead. Decided Friday to empty the freezer of some older meat to make room for newer stuff; found a big, beefy short rib plate and some smaller beef ribs at the bottom. Also took out a chuckie that I decided to so another experiment on (more about that later).

beef ribs 01.jpg

Got up early Sunday morning and gave everything a good dry brining of Kosher salt and back in the frig for 6 hours........

beef ribs 02.jpg

Since I knew the big boys would take the most time, I fired up the pellet pooper to 225* and dumped in a mixture of oak and hickory pellets. Here are the big ribs after about 2 hours and 100* IT getting their first spritzed of beef broth...........

beef ribs 03.jpg

After 4 hours, the big beefys were hitting their stride at 135* IT. I spritzed them again and threw on the regular beef ribs and the chuckie.....

beef ribs 04.jpg

After about 1 1/2 hours I pulled the chuckie (just wanted some smoke and color) and added some home made South American style sausage.......

beef ribs 05.jpg

Chuckie went into a 12-14 hour SV bath I'm holding to 125*, I'm shooting for a medium rare steak-like result rather than a pot roast style. Got up this morning after the bath, chilled it in ice water and put it back into the frig for later. Report on chuckie after he is seared and eaten later this week.....

beef ribs 06.jpg

Back to yesterday evening, the big beefys hit a stall at about 165* IT but the regular ribs and the sausage were good to go. Left the big boys to do their thing and hit the dinner bell for the hungry folks.....

beef ribs 07.jpg

Small beef ribs turned out excellent, great mahogany color, tender with a big beefy flavor. I don't see these ribs all the time so well worth buying when I do......

beef ribs 08.jpg

NOW, time to eat me some GROCERIES (and drink yet another cold one
cool.png
) ..........

beef ribs 09.jpg

BUT WAIT.....what about those brontosaurs monsters still on the pit? Well I powered through the stall by raising the temp up to 300* and about 2 hours later (total of 7 hours) I got them up to 200* IT. I went out to pull and stuck a tooth pick into them, they were like BUDDA !!!! OMG I'm not one to brag on my cue, its fair most of the time, but these were un-friggen real !!!! Best I've ever cooked, that's for sure. Unfortunately I only had room enough in my gut for a small bite, they will be tonight's dinner for sure !!!!

beef ribs 11.jpg
beef ribs 10.jpg

KEEP YOUR BEER COLD AND YOUR SMOKE BLUE !!!! TROUTMAN OUT !!!

You did those groceries proud. Nice meal.

Chris

Everything looks Awesome Troutman!!(Trout in Texas?)

Are you posting the final Chucky on this Thread, Later??

Bear

Everything looks Awesome Troutman!!(Trout in Texas?)

Are you posting the final Chucky on this Thread, Later??

Bear

Chuckie is in the refrig resting for now. Probably sear it off tonight or tomorrow night. Hoping to eat it like a rare steak. Not sure what the result will be but will post it when I find out !! :)

Thanks for asking Bear !

Oh yea Bear, Texas Gulf coast has tons of fish. Speckled trout is one of our favorite species to catch....I need to smoke some to show everyone ;)

View attachment 343568

Nice Trout !!!
OK---Now I see what you mean---Salt Water Gulf Coast Trout.
I thought you meant Trout like we have up here (Browns, Brooks & Rainbows).
Kinda warm down there for them, I guess.

I'll bet She'll smoke up real nice!!
Thanks for clarifying that. Don't let me miss that !!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky