Grilling with a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shurley88

Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
Hopefully I post this in the right section.I have a Oklahoma Joe Highlander and was curious if it would "hurt" or negatively impact the cooking chamber if I were to grill inside of it with charcoal sitting on some racks. The firebox is to small for what I'm trying to grill. Thanks.

Reactions: kruizer
CAUTION! Line with Hvy Foil to catch ashes and grease. ASAP, clean the ashes out very well and remove the foil. If the ashes get wet, from rain or humidity, they will Rust out your Smoker...JJ

Reactions: Shurley88 and D.W.
Yes you can grill in the cooking chamber. That is what the grate in the bottom is for, charcoal.
My Okie Joe didn't come with racks for the smoke chamber it only came with charcoal grates for the fire box.

I would have zero problems throwing a bag of coals into the smoke chamber, just make sure to wash it out and reseason it when the coals cool off.

Reactions: Shurley88
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky