Grilled Spicy Italian Sausage Skilletini (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
We found this years ago at an Italian restaurant that is now defunct. It's a shame too because they had REALLY good food. Tracy loved this because of all the veggies. I just loved it because it tasted good. A couple years ago she asked me to make it for her, which I gladly did. I've done a couple renditions but this is the first time grilled and the first time in CI skillets. It sure did come out good!!

Start with some homemade spicy Italian sausage
001.jpg

Got my spicy red sauce all put together. Now it just has to simmer for a while
002.jpg

Time to put the sausages on the grill
003.jpg

Red, green, and yellow bell pepper, red onions, garlic, and a splash of garlic olive oil
004.jpg

Sausages cooking up nicely
005.jpg

Boil some spaghetti noodles, drain, and put into the CI skillets
006.jpg

Add a healthy (that's a relative term) amount of the sauce
007.jpg

Sausages all done
008.jpg

All sliced up
009.jpg

Into the CI skillets
010.jpg

Add the veggies that were lightly sauteed
011.jpg

A bunch of Parmigano Reggiano cheese
012.jpg

And onto the grill. I did cover them with the pizza dome for even heating throughout
013.jpg

Some buttery garlic ciabatta bread on the grill also
014.jpg

All done
016.jpg

Serve with bread. I should have made more bread but we survived
017.jpg

Well that was dinner a couple nights ago and it was really good!! All of the homemade aspects of the sauce and the sausage really set this over the top. Then you get a nice grilled flavor combined with the Parmigano Reggiano cheese which was insanely good. Sorry the last few pics are kinda weird looking. They were taken outside because we ate on the patio, the sun was starting to set, and there was a lot of glare. I'll try to do better next time :emoji_wink: Y'all might want to give some consideration to making this if you're into Italian food. It is authentic and very gratifying. Gonna be doing this again soon, I can promise you that.

Hope everybody had a good...and safe weekend
Robert

I'm like Steve, I need a couple of smaller CI's also. What size are you using Robert, 8"? RAY

Looks awesome Robert ! All you need to do now is make the pasta! 100% homemade at that point! I'm gonna try this soon I think. My mouth is watering! Also I'll third the cast iron ...what size are you using?

Looks nice! I need to get a couple smaller CI's to do stuff like this.

Steve...all ya gotta do is set a couple of your larger ones beside your mouse. They will shrink, or do I need to remind you?

He's never gonna live that one down,
Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
What size are you using Robert, 8"

Also I'll third the cast iron ...what size are you using?

Thank you all for the kind words. I guess I was remiss in conveying info. Yes, they were 8" CI skillets which were a Christmas present from my dearly beloved. Those things have seen a LOT pf action in the few months I've had them. Y'all might want to look into the individual deep dish CI baking dishes. They are about 4" square. I've done numerous posts with them and they are so much fun to cook with!! Not as large as the 8" but should hold plenty for an individual.

Robert

This has piqued my interest Robert! I've got a couple of Lodge 8"ers in my BPS shopping cart all set to order along with more pecan and oak splits for the SQ36, free shipping, all paid with points. I'm thinking these skillets placed side by side over hot coals in the Weber kettle, the possibilities are limitless, fajitas come to mind right off the bat, maybe a nice breakfast skillet! RAY

Great and simple one dish meal Robert! It looks fantastic and comforting in a time like this!

Like!

Damn Robert looks great! Has gotten me hungry! I have a couple 8 inchers but would like the 4 inch baking dishes like you mentioned. Need to check them out!

Looks awesome Robert ! All you need to do now is make the pasta! 100% homemade at that point! I'm gonna try this soon I think. My mouth is watering! Also I'll third the cast iron ...what size are you using?

Thanks Travis. BTDT with the pasta. IMHO it's just not worth the hassle, especially when I'm on a time crunch to get dinner ready. When I fully retire, maybe....

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice - did the smoke pit flavor get into the pasta?

Well, this was cooked on a grill as opposed to a smoker/pit so no, it didn't get much smoke flavor. It did however accomplish this:
Then you get a nice grilled flavor combined with the Parmigano Reggiano cheese which was insanely good.

Was a really good meal though!!

Robert

This has piqued my interest Robert! I've got a couple of Lodge 8"ers in my BPS shopping cart all set to order along with more pecan and oak splits for the SQ36, free shipping, all paid with points. I'm thinking these skillets placed side by side over hot coals in the Weber kettle, the possibilities are limitless, fajitas come to mind right off the bat, maybe a nice breakfast skillet!

Well Ray, you can't go wrong sir. I did see your later reply that you ordered the 8" CI skillets. I've done a whole bunch of stuff in them. That deep dish hoagie not too long ago, several breakfasts, and the night after I did this skilletini, I did a taco casserole that was just nutso good!! I wasn't planning to post it but have decided that I'll go ahead and do it so be on the lookout to get tagged pretty soon. You're gonna love those skillets.

Robert

Great and simple one dish meal Robert! It looks fantastic and comforting in a time like this!

Like!
Yep really nice lookin' pasta dish right there Robert. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now y'all got me think about getting some cast iron pans....crap.

BIG LIKE!

John

Thanks guys!! Appreciate the kind words. I've really been putting those little skillets to use....well all of the CI actually. Those have been used the most though with the 4" deep baking dishes a close second.

Robert

Damn Robert looks great! Has gotten me hungry! I have a couple 8 inchers but would like the 4 inch baking dishes like you mentioned. Need to check them out!

Go forth and cook Italian!! I just love my little baking dishes. So many things you can do with them. Heck, not too long ago (my birthday I think) I did individual bourbon peach cobblers in them on the grill. So good!!

Robert

Here’s a smaller CI skillet for someone who is on an extreme diet:)

I actually saw those at Academy last Christmas when I was shopping for a CI set for a friend. I came real close to getting several of them to grill cornbread muffins. It's a cool little "skillet" for sure!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky