Grilled Marinated Beef Heart with Balsamic Butter Reduction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Clarissa, That looks wonderful!!! I love heart, my hubby wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole11 LOL!!! I was raised on a farm and we butchered our beef to put in the freezer each year. We would always eat the heart and liver the day we butchered. I think that spoiled me!!!! I will only eat fresh right from the cow heart and liver! Thanks for your step by step, maybe others will try it that never thought they would!!! COOK ON!!!!!

Glenda
Hi Glenda,

Thanks so much for your compliments and comments!  I love hearing stories from folks like you that grew up on a farm.....it sounds like nothing was ever wasted, and nothing ever fazes ya!  I've never had a chance to try out fresh heart or liver (mine all comes frozen from the butcher), but I'm sure the texture and flavor must be fantastic. I hope to see more postings from you on the Nose-To-Tail forum! 

Thanks so much for checking out my post, and have a great night!
Clarissa

Well, Clarissa......I agree with many posters above, nice knife work, good tutorial, xlnt camera work, reduction sounds good but I'm in with OCG's husband...I wouldn't touch that with any pole...LMAO. I choked down enough liver in the Army to last a lifetime and I just don't do organs. Nice post though....c ya around
Hey, Bill.  I know you are squeamish about organs, so I especially appreciate you looking at my post!  That took some guts (whoopsie! I mean courage
icon_mrgreen.gif
)

Because you are a vet (thank you!) I'll give you a pass on the organs, and won't give you any grief about not eating them. Thanks very much for the compliments on the post! 

Have a great night!

Clarissa

Nice Thread Clarissa!  My fav is the sauce....sorry don't do the organ type meats.....I guess it's from too many days working in the OR!

Good information...and great q-views!

Kat
Hey Kat!  I understand completely. Some things just hit a little too close to home.

The sauce really is delicious, and goes great with beef tenderloin and sirloin too. I hope you give it a shot sometime.

Thanks so much for checking out my post, and hope you have a great night!
Clarissa

Love it ,great bit of cookery!Nice knife work too!Ihad this style of reduction in Italy years ago on steak. I think I will do it with some kangaroo fillet, serve it rare.
Not to Hijack the thread, but Ya better post up some kangaroo smoking Mic!

Clarissa,

do you soak the heart first prior to cooking? I ask because the ol timers we hunt with insist on soaking the heart in salt water prior to cooking.

Love it ,great bit of cookery!Nice knife work too!Ihad this style of reduction in Italy years ago on steak. I think I will do it with some kangaroo fillet, serve it rare.
Nose to tail is a happening place . I get that some viewers will take the method but not the meat.Others dont need any encouragement to embrace the whole deal. Either way there has been some high standard cookery on display here. Great to see.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for looking at my post!  I'm totally digging the Nose-To-Tail forum. It is great to have a place to share and to learn from others on this type of cooking. My coworkers and family usually just change the subject when I try and talk about it.

I've never had the chance to try kangaroo, but I've read that it is similar to venison. If so, then I think the reduction would be good over a rare kangaroo fillet. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing a kangaroo post from you at some point!

Thanks again for the compliments, and have a great day!

Clarissa

Clarissa,

do you soak the heart first prior to cooking? I ask because the ol timers we hunt with insist on soaking the heart in salt water prior to cooking.
What is the purpose of the salt water?  Is it to kill bacteria, or for flavoring?  Since you are talking wild game, I bet it is a food safety issue.

I don't soak the heart prior to cooking, but the hearts I get have been frozen by the butcher. The freezing process supposedly makes food safer to eat.

What is the purpose of the salt water?  Is it to kill bacteria, or for flavoring?  Since you are talking wild game, I bet it is a food safety issue.

I don't soak the heart prior to cooking, but the hearts I get have been frozen by the butcher. The freezing process supposedly makes food safer to eat.
From what I've been told, it's a cleansing thing. Supposedly draws out the more of the blood etc. I guess if buying a heart from the store this may already have been done?  Another thing that is done with the fresh game heart prior to soaking is kneading/massaging it like dough to pump the blood out. 

Clarissa,

We soak all our harvested wild heart & kidneys in salt water, also Shad Roe & sometimes fish. It helps draw the blood out.

Bear

When  I  preserve mullet roe ( bottarga) like Bearcarvers shad roe, I soak it in salty water first & prick the vein that supplies blood to roe sack with a needle to draw out the blood. Critical in that preparation that sack is intact.

Unfortunately for me its been discovered by the "damn yuppies" as they say on Duck Commander & the price has gone  to stupid  level so I have to bribe fish guy with bacon to get it at reasonable price.

I think its about drawing the blood out & we do the same thing down  here as Bearcarver suggests.I think the less blood decreases that dirty grainy look?

Kangaroo is in our supermarkets .Its just venison to us but despite its health benefits not that popular still.Hard to shake its pet food tag.

I am happy to post it.Its hard to explain to people just how many roo,s there are in this country.They wont sit still long enough to count the bloody things but there is millions.

We only eat Western Reds & Eastern Greys on the main land .There is an increasing (slowly) market for wallaby out of Tasmania but they are a little different that far south
biggrin.gif

The 6 degrees of separation thing with Clarissa's great recipe is that I  mostly serve roo with a hot salad of roasted beets,small onions,goat cheese ,walnuts & BALSAMIC vinegar.I marinate the roo in something really close to what she has posted here for beef heart. Go figure!

Roo is really lean & low tolerance .A minute over & you are screwed .Its char grill only. If people are interested I am happy to post it. Its considered,down here
aussieflag.gif
 one of those great  matches ,roo,beets,goat,s cheese & a big glass of shiraz.

Sorry if I  have wandered off topic!

When  I  preserve mullet roe ( bottarga) like Bearcarvers shad roe, I soak it in salty water first & prick the vein that supplies blood to roe sack with a needle to draw out the blood. Critical in that preparation that sack is intact.

Unfortunately for me its been discovered by the "damn yuppies" as they say on Duck Commander & the price has gone  to stupid  level so I have to bribe fish guy with bacon to get it at reasonable price.

I think its about drawing the blood out & we do the same thing down  here as Bearcarver suggests.I think the less blood decreases that dirty grainy look?

Kangaroo is in our supermarkets .Its just venison to us but despite its health benefits not that popular still.Hard to shake its pet food tag.

I am happy to post it.Its hard to explain to people just how many roo,s there are in this country.They wont sit still long enough to count the bloody things but there is millions.

We only eat Western Reds & Eastern Greys on the main land .There is an increasing (slowly) market for wallaby out of Tasmania but they are a little different that far south
biggrin.gif

The 6 degrees of separation thing with Clarissa's great recipe is that I  mostly serve roo with a hot salad of roasted beets,small onions,goat cheese ,walnuts & BALSAMIC vinegar.I marinate the roo in something really close to what she has posted here for beef heart. Go figure!

Roo is really lean & low tolerance .A minute over & you are screwed .Its char grill only. If people are interested I am happy to post it. Its considered,down here
aussieflag.gif
 one of those great  matches ,roo,beets,goat,s cheese & a big glass of shiraz.

Sorry if I  have wandered off topic!
I'd love to see a picture of the roo, beets, onions (pickled???), goat cheese dish. Please post it next time you make it!!   I might give that a shot with deer backstrap steaks this fall, if my husband gets a deer this year.

From what I've been told, it's a cleansing thing. Supposedly draws out the more of the blood etc. I guess if buying a heart from the store this may already have been done?  Another thing that is done with the fresh game heart prior to soaking is kneading/massaging it like dough to pump the blood out. 
We soak all our harvested wild heart & kidneys in salt water, also Shad Roe & sometimes fish. It helps draw the blood out.

Bear
The beef hearts I get from the butcher must have had something like that already done by the butcher. They are always clean of blood clots, etc.  But this is good to know for wild game, thanks for the info, Case and Bear.

I agree completely, Case.  We demand roo q-view!!
I will get it done soon. The side dish involves EVO roasting beets,whole small onions,garlic cloves in the oven until tender adding walnuts,then while its hot adding goats cheese or gorgonzola.Make the dressing up from pan juices + balsamic vinegar. I dont have a recipe but I think Jamie Oliver did it on TV.

Great match with venison so I just took it to roo. Beetroot ,to us, just goes with roo so well. 

I will get it done soon. The side dish involves EVO roasting beets,whole small onions,garlic cloves in the oven until tender adding walnuts,then while its hot adding goats cheese or gorgonzola.Make the dressing up from pan juices + balsamic vinegar. I dont have a recipe but I think Jamie Oliver did it on TV.

Great match with venison so I just took it to roo. Beetroot ,to us, just goes with roo so well. 
That sounds great, looking forward to the post. My husband loves beets; I mentioned your recipe to him and he was pretty chuffed about it.

I did beef heart awhile back. Opted for a quick sear and served with a beet salad. Still more texture than I would have liked. Braising will be my next attempt

rerupyje.jpg

I did beef heart awhile back. Opted for a quick sear and served with a beet salad. Still more texture than I would have liked. Braising will be my next attempt

rerupyje.jpg
Wow. I've gotta say, that it is amazingly beautiful presentation.
drool.gif

In regards to your comment about texture. It's a bit hard to judge from the picture, but looks like your beef heart was sliced pretty thin before searing?  If so, maybe try leaving the thicker sections intact like a sirloin, searing those rare-medium-rare, then slicing before serving. I've had better luck with that approach in regards to toughness.

That's really an amazing recipe!! I love it and also excited to taste it, so I'll do one thing I'll try this recipe and let you know with some special pics!!

Olive leaf extracts are healthful.... search it....    

Mythcooper, links are not allowed....   

By the way, welcome to the forum.... Please take a moment and stop into " /[color= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Roll Call[/color]/   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members..  

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I know this is ages later but a couple weeks ago, we got a heart from a local butcher and had NO idea what to do with it. Found your step-by-step via Google and it made it so easy for us, and the marinade was awesome. Thank you! 
grilling_smilie.gif

We skipped the butter reduction because we're eating heart for health reasons (omg CoQ10!) :) We cut it into smallish chunks -- 1-2" squareish -- and put it on skewers with plenty of space, and onions in between. Marinated it overnight, grilled it really fast. It was delicious. 

Ahoyhere... Afternoon and welcome to the forum....  

Please take a moment and stop into " [color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color][color= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Roll Call[/color][color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color]   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members.... Also, if you would note your location in your profile, it will help in the future when answering questions about smokin'...   elevation, humidity etc....    

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky