Grilled Corn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dave you're just not getting good corn if it doesn't have much flavor....tough??   If it's tough you're not cooking it long enough or too much.

I've been grilling Indiana sweet corn most of my life and i do similar to you.  

1) soak in water for a few hours minimum, usually for 10-12 hours
2) DO NOT remove husk or silk
3)Foil if grilling high direct heat, or no foil indirect heat
4) When it's done remove husk and silk

Wide mouth jar of water filled with hot water and melted butter poured over the water....allow butter to settle on top

5) Dip corn into water and up slowly through the butter

6) ENJOY!!!

x2 exactley how I do mine. I did about 200ears for a 4th of july party and its always a big hit. Think fresh corn helps on it being tough. mine was picked @ 2a.m locally that morning from a big sweet corn farm that i worked at when i was a kid.

Deep fry! Grew up with boiled and then did it deep fried. Wow and everybody that tries it can't believe how good it tastes even without any butter.

Can you explain how this is done never heard of deep fried corn? might want to try this at one of our catfish cookouts.

I just shuck the corn and keep it cool till I get ready to deep fry it. I usually keep my peanut oil about 365 and fill the baskets. Deep fry till it starts to caramelize  a little. Doesn't take long. Wont believe how many compliments you will get.

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread after grilling some corn last night.  I like to keep it simple, with absolutely minimal prep and no additional fat or seasonings.  The only thing I do to prep the corn is to de-hair it, leaving as many of the husks on as possible.  Actually, I leave that step to my wife because de-hairing corn is one of my least favorite things to do.  I'll pull the husks up around the corn, but if the husks fall off, no problem.  It still works.

We usually do corn when I'm making burgers.  The corn takes about 20-25 minutes total the way I do it, and comes out tender and slightly toasted.  Because it is just the two of us, and I'm usually only grilling 6 burgers (leftovers are a must in this household), I use charcoal baskets in the center of the 22.5" Kettle.  Fire up a half chimney of charcoal, put wood chips in the bottom of the baskets, then fill the baskets with hot charcoal. Put the ears of corn around the outside edge of the cooking grate.   4-5 ears of corn easily fit around the outside of the Kettle. I usually do 4.  While I'm grill frying the burgers in the center of the grill using a grill mat or pan (I use a paella pan), I cover the grill, all vents fully open.  I turn the burgers and corn every five minutes, putting the cover back on between turns. 

When the burgers are done, usually between 15-20 minutes (7 ounces each prior to cooking), I remove the burgers and the pan or mat.  Then I move the corn directly over the coals to toast the kernals slightly.  Turn frequently to prevent burning.  If the husks catch fire, no problem, just put the pan on the Kettle and the fire will go out, then remove and continue turning until the kernals are slightly toasted on all sides.  The corn comes off the grill with a nutty, sweet flavor that sends my wife into corn-on-the-cob heaven.

I was going to take pictures last night, but we were so busy all day I didn't get a chance to start dinner until 8:30 PM.   Pictures went right out the window.  I eat mine with no butter or seasoning.  The flavor of the grilled sweet corn is all I need.  There's one cob left in the fridge from last night.  I was too tired to eat both mine.  My wife will most likely be treated to my leftover ear. 

Ray, I'm really glad you necromanced this thread cause I'd never heard of Deep Fried Corn on the Cob till just now.
I guarantee you it's getting tried real soon.
I also like the Mason jar water/butter trick... Who says an ol'dog can't learn new tricks. :sausage:

I use melted butter on corn and then season with Meat Church honey BBQ rub and wrap them up and grill until tender. I have also used blackened season, victory lane nutty pecan and others. Basically if you have a really good rub you like it will taste great on grill corn. But the pecan rub and honey ribs are my favorite and people can't get enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky