Grilled and Fried Chicken Breast W/ Steps.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana

The reason I said sort of is because I didn't take pictures of every step, but I'll still list all the steps. The cooker I used was my 007 which has a thread on here of if you're curious.

Ok I had chicken breast to use up and I hate to do things the same way time after time...gets old ya know? It's always good but it's nice to mix things up some.

I've done lots of different "Fried chicken" on the cookers but largely it's been on the rotisserie. I haven't done chicken breast this way or grate cooked this way. One thing I like about doing it with the rotisserie is because of the rotation the breading doesn't burn up black waiting for the meat to get done...breading will always tend to burn.

Ok this is about is simple as it gets but maybe it can inspire someone. Chicken breast was not brined either. Here's the steps and my logic behind each step. I realize not everyone cooks over an open fire but charcoal can be substituted of course.

1) Season the chicken FIRST, it gets way way more flavor rather than mixing seasoning in the flour. This round was a coating of Fiorina's Jack Stack All Purpose, and a little Wild Thang (savory peppery rub)

2) Next of course is a coating of flour followed by dipping or pouring egg wash over that, then bread crumbs...Panko is my preference.

Now for the cook. The cook I used my 007 setup which cooks over a open split fire but this can be substituted for charcoal (I'd use lump) preferably.

3) At 400* pretty much rock solid it cooked directly over the fire (raised direct) In my cooker it's about 4" over the top of the drum. When each side after flipping gets the crisp exterior and color you want put some sort of pan below the grate you cook on and switch to indirect the rest of the way. For me I have this hanging basket under my cook grate.

Take the chicken to about 160* and pull...simple as that. Juicy beyond imagination for sure, it's not hard to get juicy chicken and IMO easier at the higher temps like this cook which was at 400*

Like I said it's simple and definitely not rocket science but I hope it inspires someone because this was REALLY good!!
icon_smile.gif

Here's after the panko is applied, it's been seasoned, floured and had egg wash applied.

Next is after the first flip when one side was crisp.

Finally the next to is showing both sides after pulling and the plated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky