Grilled Albacore collars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Nor Cal
Grilled tuna collars. Got 3 albacore yesterday. After filleting and vac sealing the loins, grilling the collars is my reward. 3 done with my bloody mary glaze (Worcester, black pepper, horseradish celery seed, garlic and lemon). Other 3 with my asian glaze (soy reduced with honey, fermented chili garlic past (see my other thread
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chili-garlic-paste.290164/ ) and fresh miso.
Simple, pat dry.
Place on a hot grill and apply glaze. Cook direct for 5min, then indirect until done (about 10-12 min).
20190903_180212.jpg
20190903_183352.jpg
the last of my chili paste until my other batch is done
20190429_204219.jpg

Reactions: daveomak
So delicious and very forgiving. Hard to overcook. Intense flavor, but not "fishier" if that makes sense.

Oh Man! It don't get no better that.
Every year I taught my students to filet fish. This was followed by Soups, Stocks and Sauces. We would cook down the heads and bones for Fish Stock. As the kids were cleaning up, I would go over to the pan of heads and start eating Cheeks and picking off the tasty bits. First the curious came over to see what I was up to, then more came. In short order I had a class full of kids that the only fish they tasted was canned Tuna or Fish Sticks, eating Cheeks and sucking the meat off the Heads. All you heard was Lips Smacking and the chorus of, " Mmm, this is sooo good! "...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky