Griddle Kabobs Without The Skewer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Decided yesterday that I wanted to grill some kabobs. Got the meat into a sink full of cold water to defrost and went out to the patio to get one of the charcoal grills set up and ready to go. Problem time!! We are suddenly having 20-30 mile an hour winds. This is not good. We are in a state of serious drought and the entire region is nothing but a tinder box waiting for somebody to drop a match. Nope....not gonna do it. Looked at the cookers and decided to do them on the griddle without the skewers. That decision changed the ingredients a bit but nothing major.

While the meat is defrosting I cut up some onions, green bell peppers, and broccoli. Tossed with some of my homemade garlic and herb infused olive oil, black pepper, and garlic. The broccoli was an addition that would not have gone on the skewers.
001.jpg

In another bowl some tomatoes. We LOVE grilled tomatoes.
002.jpg

The meat defrosted
003.jpg

Toss the meat with some Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper
004.jpg

Meat on the griddle
005.jpg

Let that brown a bit and toss the veggies on
006.jpg

Get a light char on the veggies and add the tomatoes
007.jpg

Now mix the meat and veggies together
008.jpg

On a small platter and into the house to serve
009.jpg

Plated on a bed of steamed brown rice and we are ready to eat
010.jpg

I know this looks like Asian stir fry but I promise you that the flavor profile was all the way around the world from being Asian. This was very, very good and I could certainly see changing the flavors to make it an Asian dish but that isn't what I wanted this time :emoji_wink: When I steamed the rice instead of using all water I used 3/4 beef broth, 1/4 water, and a nice dollop of Better Than Bouillon beef base. That really made the rice pop, otherwise rice is pretty bland. Overall a really good meal that was done and ready to eat in about 20 minutes start to finish. Sheesh....I seem to be doing a lot of these quick and easy meals recently but necessity is the mother of all inventions. I honestly believe the key to this dish is not over cooking the veggies. We can't stand it when the veggies are turned to mush and enjoy them much more when they still have some crunch and texture to them. Oh well, this one is a keeper and I'm off to get dinner going for this evening. Y'all take care, stay safe, and I'll be back tomorrow to catch up on the new threads and replies.

Robert

Heck yeah Robert. Nice looking almost kabobs lol. Favorite around here in the summer and not disappointed in yours!

Very nice...I have to use the griddle more often. I bet that meal had a great "beefy" flavor?

Looks fantastic Robert. You hit that one out of the old ballpark. I could down a plate of that.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh man that looks tasty! I have to get a griddle, I actually stopped in the PX today, but didn't see any. This type of cook just adds to my anxiety on not having one yet! Awesome cook Robert!

Looks great Robert.
I would have to throw that into a pita or two with a squirt or two of lime juice
And I must have a little crunch to my veggies also. That's the right way ( in my mind )

Nothing wrong with a meal that looks and tastes like that , and quick is even better

David

Robert, everything looks delicious as always. What a great idea, I have to get this into rotation with the Blackstone. We usually do not have traditional Kebabs , long story, lol. This is an excellent way to do it and still have the Shish Kebab flavors slong with additional vegetables. Great job, and if we were allowed to have Rice, that's a great way to flavor it up. Thanks for sharing.

Robert, everything looks delicious as always. What a great idea, I have to get this into rotation with the Blackstone. We usually do not have traditional Kebabs , long story, lol. This is an excellent way to do it and still have the Shish Kebab flavors slong with additional vegetables. Great job, and if we were allowed to have Rice, that's a great way to flavor it up. Thanks for sharing.
Just make or buy a riced cauliflower fried rice, Costco sells both the plain and the fried rice version. We do that every time we bring in either Chinese or Thai food.

Reactions: MJB05615
We have had some crazy wind lately as well.... And dry.... Just not a good combo.... That sure looks like it turned out great Robert !! I love kabobs and yours look fantastic even if there isn't a skewer😆..(not like you eat that part anyway!lol!).. I agree on the vegg needing to be crisp tinder and not mush... Nice quick meal man! Id eat that up anytime!!

You gotta use that Food Channel language - Deconstructed Texas Spice Tenderloin Kabobs with griddle charred veggies haha. Looks fantastic and I’m sure tasted great.Perfect for the griddle.
I love this!... Its all how you play it out!! Got to roll with the punches...in this case the punch was the terrible winds!..
Like Robert said. " necessity is the mother of all invention"

Reactions: jcam222
Beautiful piece of work Robert and a nice job of improvising! I've never done broccoli of the griddle, going to have to give that shot real soon, we love the stuff. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky