Greetings from the mid-west

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thornwill

Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
Hello everyone, looking for anyone who has any info on how to make chorizos from the eastern part of Spain. I'm in my mid 60's and would love to recapture the old Spanish chorizo my grandfather used to make and sell at the local Spanish Society when I was much younger.

It seems that over the years something has been lost in the making of these beautiful sausages and the ones sold in the local butcher shops and stores all seem to have a strange after taste. I wonder if it is because of the preservatives used today. Anyway all I know about the old sausages was that the main ingredients were pork, fat, peminton and garlic.

If there is anyone out there that knows how to make these old school chorizos, please share your knowledge, you'll make a lot of people happy!

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome from WI

I don't know much about Chorizo beyond what a search function will tell ya... but Nepas or another guru would likely know :)

Welcome!

First off, I think anyone into sausage must own Marianski.
Just looked it up and there are 3 chrorizo recipes in it. One of them has even more detail regarding different styles. I bet you get real close with it.

From here, try posting a new thread in the sausage area and title it something like Anyone have a old school/eastern spanish chorizo recipe? I am truly amazed with the depth of knowledge here and would not be surprised if you get some real help. Best of luck!

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome!

First off, I think anyone into sausage must own Marianski.
Just looked it up and there are 3 chrorizo recipes in it. One of them has even more detail regarding different styles. I bet you get real close with it.

From here, try posting a new thread in the sausage area and title it something like Anyone have a old school/eastern spanish chorizo recipe? I am truly amazed with the depth of knowledge here and would not be surprised if you get some real help. Best of luck!
Thanks for the info, as a newbie I'm just trying to learn my way around this site. There does seem to be a lot of members both here and abroad. I'll do my research, but still hoping to find someone with expertise in this area. Looking forward to learning more than just the chorizos on this site.

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for the info. About A year ago I made a batch of chorizos using the UMAI casing and followed the Len Poli recipe, but I skipped the 48 hour incubating period. I'm a little gun-shy about leaving the raw sausage at room temp for 2 days. Also, because of the UMAI I was unable to smoke the Sausage, which is a big part of making this sausage. The end result, the chorizo was not bad, but not quite what I remember.

Thanks again for the input. I going to have to get over the fear of fermenting meat at temps in the 70's

Reactions: zwiller
Some thing interesting to note is you might need to dig around and find what regional chorizo it was based off of.

Chorizo comes in so many styles it's mind boggingly and not all are smoked. Now I'll have to go and read up on it as well :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky