greetings from down under

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markh5000

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Hi all, and greetings from Australia.  Following a visit to Virgil's in NYC on a trip not so long ago - first proper bbq ever - I rushed home, joined the forum, bought the secret recipes, did the recommended "courses", generally lurked about and read with great interest the thousands of years of accumulated experience on the forum.  I have now bought a vertical gas smoker, and can I just say I'm lovin' the Q!!!

Having been reared on a diet of Australian-style grilling masquerading as bbq, like everyone else in this fair land, I had no idea what we were missing out on.  Pulled pork?  How could you guys keep THAT a secret from the rest of the world!?!? Lawdy!

Anyhoo, thanks again for all the inspiration and for opening the door into this astonishing world.  I know I haven't earned the right to ask too many questions yet, but the family and I are planning a trip to the USA for about april - may 2012, and I am itching to go to a bbq competition (just go, not enter).  There seems an awful lot to choose from, so could anyone recommend which one or two would be a good bet for a first timer - friendly, big and accessible?  I would be very grateful for any tips.

Cheers, looking forward to sharing my humble efforts with you and spreading the word!

Mark

G'day Mark!  Can't wait to have up on our side of the globe.  Do the toilets really flush backwards down there?  Just kidding.  Lot's of good info here and tutorials as well.  You'll have to "Q a Roo" for us, eh?...Probably not.

Welcome aboard!

welcome.gif
 to SMF, it's great to have you here, I like it when others from all over the world join us, really gives us some different ideas on other cultures ways of BBQing

Great to have you here.  I met a group of about 6 Aussies who were visiting the US this year and attended a Gamecock football game... I introduced them to smoked ribs and wings... Needless to say they had the same reaction as you! 

Glad when people realize that "BBQ" isn't another name for a grill.

Welcome aboard!

I can see it now!

Mark corners the market on great smoked meat in aussie land and opens a very successful Q joint.

All thanks to SMF

Welcome to the family!!!!

Mark welcome to SMF glad you joined us. If your coming here around then you could attend the N. Florida Gathering not a big competition but we sure have some fun.Then you could drop down to the coast of Fl or find a competition to go check out. Here's a thread about the Gathering

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/100174/n-fl-gathering-v  

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Last edited:
Welcome to the SMF. Sounds like you've been bitten by the Q bug. It's all good my friend.

You have the immediate right to ask as many questions as you can think of!  There are NO dumb questions, and we all get to learn more that way.  Thanks for joining the forum!

Glad ya found us.  A trip to your fair land is in my bucket list.  Thats a list of things I still want to do before I go to the great Q joint in the sky.  Welcome!

Welcome  to SMF, Mark. You earned the right to ask questions when you joined the fellowship. Someone here always has the answer you need. Glad you’re here!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Welcome Mark,

Lots of good people, recipes and ideas here and don't be afraid to ask those questions, what I've found to be true on this site is we smoke the meat and not the posters.

Post some pics of your gear (and the surrounding area and fauna), there are detailed instructions in the wiki section if you don't already know how.

Down under too, just a little East of you,

Gene

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Mark to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

Welcome to the forum, Mark.  First off you don't need to earn the right to ask questions you joined the forum because you caught the smoking bug, so you need to ask away, there are no stupid questions.  This forum is, IMO, the best source for knowledge regarding smoking and BBQ. The people here are the best on the net so please do not hesitate to ask questions.    Martin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky