Greetings from Colorado!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

el pescador

Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Howdy all!

I'm from Colorado Springs, CO, and am an avid fly fisherman and hunter.  I'm fairly new to smoking meats; I've had a Masterbilt 30" electric smoker for about a year.  I've had good luck with pork butts, sausage, game hens and turkey breasts ... also totally ruined a very nice brisket, and gotten a strictly "ok" outcome on #2, heh.  I've done some ears of corn and a few other veggies as well, and those have actually turned out pretty well; brisket seems to be my nemesis.

I unexpectedly hit a mutually beneficial deal and traded some new fishing gear for a new Traeger Elite 2200, which is in a box waiting to be assembled.

I have yet to even assemble the Traeger; I was searching for what sort of pellets you could use in one (other than the Traeger official variety) and the first link I found was to an older post here.  I'd looked at them (as well as some other, more expensive ones, like Yoder Smokers), but wasn't planning a purchase for a while (like 6 months).

Wish I had time to get it going tomorrow; there's a 50 degree temperature swing coming Friday night - early Saturday ...

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cold and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of              great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Welcome, you've come to the right place. I bought a Traeger about a year ago and I found that the Traeger pellets didn't seem to impart any flavour. I found a thread on here about that and purchased one the brands that were talked about and that did the trick. As I have been here in England since March I don't remember the name. I think it was "Mountain -------" something or another. Sorry about that. Good luck to you

Thanks all.  Did a pork butt in my old Masterbilt the other night, for a party; did it in my garage after wrapping the unit in a welder's blanket.

-21F at night, didn't think I could break the Traeger out.  And didn't feel like putting it together in that cold, either!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky