Greetings from a new guy from the Pacific Northwest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gstone

Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Hello, and thank you all—Jeff in particular—for this wonderful resource.

I'm a middle-aged guy in Seattle, having moved here from the midwest 25 years ago. I'm an artisan distiller by trade.

I'm relatively new to smoking meat at home, having just started this summer. Prior experience in smoking came from working in a gourmet pizza kitchen in the early 90s, when I accidentally discovered that I could use the apple-wood-fired pizza oven for more than cooking pizza and calzones.  Next thing I knew I was smoking oyster and chanterelle mushrooms, italian sausage, eggplant, and anything else I could think of for unique pizza ingredients.  Then the other, regular kitchen in the restaurant started having me smoke off things for them during the slow hours.

I have cheap access to used oak barrels, and inspired by some of the builds I've seen here and on other sites, I built my own barrel smoker this last June. It works like a charm, but I have a lot of planned improvements in mind for later to give me more control over temp and airflow.

Most of what I've done at home so far is simple pulled pork, ribs, brisket, brats, and the occasional whole chicken.  The first few tries were a bit dry and over-done, but I picked it up quickly after that, thanks in large part to the info I've read here over the months.

I'm especially interested in making sausages and cured meats. My current project is a small trial at belly bacon, based on the simple recipe I found here, in this thread. If it works out, I'll get a bigger slab of belly and go nuts.  I'm also looking at some of the kielbasa recipes posted here.

Thanks again, it's good to be here.

Cheers,

~ G

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   .........  Let us see some pictures of your barrel smoker.
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forums!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky