Green Newbie Rookie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yellowtin

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Hello! I'm Ken and I live in Nebraska. I ate at Famous Daves' a week or so ago and I am possesed with trying to replicate that mouth watering brisket on my own! Unfortunately I got suckered into some plans off the internet on how to build my own smoker out of a trash can and a hot plate. I think it would work, but I can't get the hot plate to work properly. Being inside the can makes the thermostat not work right, I think.
I am going to enjoy reading all the posts from people who actually know what they are doing, along with learning from some other rookies.
Looking forward to it!!

Glad you made! Welcome. have you signed up for Jeff's 5 day ecourse good info there. Please ask questions, there are many fine folks here with great advice

Welcome to SMF Yellowtin!!! We will be glad to steer you away from the famous galvanized trash can smoker and further your addiction anyway we can. Enjoy the forums.

Welocme Ken. Listen to these folks. That galvanized trash can smoker can do bad things to you. Pleanty of good "first" smokers out there, be it gas, elctric, or wood. Might as well do it right the first time!

And a hearty welcome from The Great White North to SMF ... I think you will enjoy the great ppl here ...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome Ken -

Yeah like Shell said - if that garbage can is galvanized it can kill you! I think most are today. BE CAREFUL!

Boy Ken, ya really like to pour it on don't cha? I mean green or newbie or rookie alone would adequately discribe your NOVICE status here at SMF. But hey!! we're glad that you are here on the best smoking food site on the net. For what you paid for a new trash can (at least I HOPE it was new) and your hot plate another 15or 20 bucks and you could have gotten yourself a fairly inexpensive ECB that's charcoal fired.

Once you master the smoke and tweek everything to your liking, you'll find that Famous Dave's ain't really all that great.

Take a moment and sign up for Tulsa Jeff's basic 5-day eCourse. It free and full of great info.

Have fun learning and ENJOY!!

Welcome aboard Ken! Lots of great folks with great information here; you done good by hooking up with SMF!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky